Star Trek Picard season 3

whisky

Boobie inspector
Four episodes in and still pretty good, the other two seasons had already imploded by now.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
OMG JEAN LUC PICARD SAID "FUCKING" (maybe he said it in seasons 1 or 2 as well but I don't remember)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Probably the best episode of the whole series? Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes actually did proper acting. I actually felt like I was watching STAR TREK during the escape scene, even with the silly space jellyfish at the end (Star Trek can be silly!) Frakes as director DESERVES CREDIT for actually making me forget all the stupid shit from the first two seasons for a moment.

Shaw's actor is good too, but did they really have to make his backstory Best of Both Worlds again? Wonder if he served on the same ship as Sisko.

Is Vadic a changeling or does she just have a changeling for a hand?

Still some dumb shit! Odo's bucket wasn't some changeling cultural artefact! There's no reason AT ALL a changeling spy would bring an identical bucket on the ship; Odo himself stopped using the bucket in later seasons and just lounged around in good form. And they definitely don't leave "resi-goo" behind! That would make them easy to catch!

Four episodes in and we still have absolutely no clue who the real villain behind everything is (it's Lore though.)

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Probably the best episode of the whole series? Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes actually did proper acting. I actually felt like I was watching STAR TREK during the escape scene, even with the silly space jellyfish at the end (Star Trek can be silly!) Frakes as director DESERVES CREDIT for actually making me forget all the stupid shit from the first two seasons for a moment.

Shaw's actor is good too, but did they really have to make his backstory Best of Both Worlds again? Wonder if he served on the same ship as Sisko.

Still some dumb shit! Odo's bucket wasn't some changeling cultural artefact! There's no reason AT ALL a changeling spy would bring an identical bucket on the ship; Odo himself stopped using the bucket in later seasons and just lounged around in good form. And they definitely don't leave "resi-goo" behind! That would make them easy to catch!

Four episodes in and we still have absolutely no clue who the real villain behind everything is (it's Lore though.)
Or Moriarty.

StarMan™

Basically my sentiment.

I'm still irritated at how many times I dropped my guard in the episode, only for another dumb bit of quip / self-referential dialogue to come our way - more so than previous seasons, because the stuff that's good IS good. Dumbass dialogue that springs to mind: "Residue ... resi-goo", "To seek out new life ...", "Bob's ya uncle and Fanny's ya Aunt" (???), Picard swearing was cringe.

As for Shaw - do all Wolf 359 survivors pull this shit with Picard? It's the 25th Century - you'd think everyone involved would get that Picard had no agency and was a victim of The Borg as much as anyone. The man was mind raped for his tactical knowledge. As their puppet, he was forced to aid The Collective in the murder of thousands of his fellow Starfleet Officers. But yeah, let's rub his fucking face in it 20 years after the fact, why don't we.

But as for the good stuff - I enjoyed the quieter, character-focused opening. Frakes is the standout among the original cast. Vadic has improved dramatically from her cartoonish debut. The Titan's dilemma was classic Trek, as was the solution. The shot of the Titan ramming an asteroid into the Shrike was more satisfying than all the other NuTrek star wars-y space battles put together. The Changeling angle is intriguing - I haven't got a clue what they're up to, but I'm interested.

I pride myself on being memberberry-resistant, but in this episode they got me good. When Picard took the conn and started giving orders and barking coordinates, I had a stupid smile on my face. I almost slapped myself. It was like - there he is.

At this juncture, if they go all-in on the fanwank and deliver a great story (that doesn't go off the deep end in the next couple of episodes), I might be satisfied.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Titan.jpg

StarMan™

Might look okay on an OLED - they're the undisputed champion when it comes to perfect black levels. I've got a Sony 65" LED TV and got some noticeable black crush in certain scenes.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
It was most definitely the Star Trekiest episode of Picard! I even loved the space jellyfish. lol

The Question

Eternal
Eh, them having eyes made 'em look, uh... yeah, a little bit goofy. I laughed. Still, overall, 8/10 by TNG standards, and about 1+e72/10 by STP Seasons 1 and 2 standards.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Haven't said this before but THANK YOU ROBERT BELTRAN

StarMan™

Prior to this season, I was out - not just Picard, but the whole shebang. It was only the rave reviews from early access critics that swayed me to give it a go. I'm somewhat stunned I'm finally dropping my guard - the last two episodes have gone a long way to twisting my arm.

Could I nitpick? Yes, but any nerdy critiques would inconsequential. Personally, I find I nitpick a lot more if I'm not enjoying it - it acts as a release value for my disappointment. If on the other hand something is firing on all cylinders, I'm really not bothered unless it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The key takeaway is I'm invested in this story. Ro Laren - holy ... that was a hell of a curve ball. The subtle shift in her expression after Riker left the conference room conveyed the weight of this reunion. Fantastic performances from Forbes and Stewart. As for Stewart - over the last two episodes, I've finally been able to look at Picard again and see *Picard* - not the actor.

- I'm finally warming to Shaw. He's a prick, but his heart is in the right place.

- Illogical AI? I'm assuming Moriarty. Guessing Lore is at the Institute as well.

- Raffi / Worf - tolerable. Thankfully everyone should be together by the next episode.

As for the larger story. I really would like to know what's going on with Jack. IIRC, the whispers spoke of joining - or rejoining? Is he a Changeling? What are Changelings really up to that would be worth this effort? That is the mystery, and we can only hope that this time - finally - the pay-off is worth it.

The Question

Eternal
I've finally been able to look at Picard again and see *Picard* - not the actor.
I admit, I'd been having trouble putting my finger on that. Seasons 1 and 2 Picard didn't feel like Picard. Felt more like Charles Xavier as portrayed in the film Logan, sans the mindquakes. A worn-out, beat-up old man who's no longer entirely in control of his own faculties, let along anything else. Season 3 has brought Picard into this show, finally.