Star Trek: Prodigy

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
And you can't even use the "it's been 20 years, of course Picard's changed!" excuse, since the rest of the TNG crew all felt recognisable as their characters (even highly dumbed down in Wor'fs case.)

CaptainWacky

Borg episde - I'm generally very sick of stories where the Borg are defeated by a character resisting assimilation, but I guess it makes more sense that a Medusian would be able to resist. They didn't go into the nano probe thing at all but maybe that would be too much for kids. I liked that they showed Borg drones of shapes you wouldn't normally see (the rhino one.)

I liked the one with the planet that was receating TOS. I hope no one shows William Shatner the impersonation of Kirk because he'll probably be a big baby about it.

THE OUTRAGEOUS OKONA IS FUCKING BACK. The Trill Ensign is cute.

StarMan™

THE OUTRAGEOUS OKONA [...]

... is the worst episode in Trek history. For all time. I will never stop in my quest to remind anyone with a passing interest in Trek of this absolute, immutable reality.

40914788234-89af62e0a3-c.jpg

She was / is gorgeous, and I loved her.

Lois Lane, defiled.

(I did not watch this travesty until after Lois and Clark had been cancelled.)

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

I enjoyed the first season of Star Trek: Prodigy. I midly regret not watching it sooner: in my defence I didn't have Paramount+ when it first aired and when I DID get Paramount+ I think it wasn't long before the show got cancelled and then removed from the service. I hope it's a big hit on Netflix and we get a season 3, but at least we get another 20 episodes this year anyway!

I liked the character, they manage to be kid-friendly in a way that wasn't annoying for adults. Voice acting was good but Dahl and Gwyn seemed a bit quiet at times (could be earwax.) Looking at the plot it's not THAT different from one of the big season ending "oh no the whole Federation is going to blow up!" things Picard and Discovery would do, but I think it worked better than either of those shows with the focus on character. I definitely felt more emotionally affected by holo Janeway dying than anything in the hugely overrated Picard season 3 and its nostalgia wankfest. And, as mentioned before, Kate Mulgrew gave a far better performance than Patrick Stewart (it's funny how they had Chakotay as an important characte but Beltran really only had about six lines.) John Noble did a good Supreme Leader Snoke voice!

Are they going to be the crew of a refitted Voyager next season, that would be cool.