The Mine Field Top 50 Trek Actors (2013)

Replacing Quinto with:

9. Dwight Schultz - Comedy is hard to do on this show, he did it well on occasion.

11. Kenneth Marshall (Michael Eddington) DS9 villain that I genuinely started to root for!
12. James Darren (Vic Fontaine) A "joke" character that every inch of me should hate but I genuinely loved him. This must have been the acting.
13. Robert Picardo - Better than Spiner and Frakes by a country mile
14. George Takei - Oh my, don't let his current persona fool you. He was a good actor.
15. Nichelle Nichols - She touched her ear, it touched my heart.
16. Avery Brooks - He often annoyed me with his mannerisms, but he could do anger well.
17. Rene Auberjonois - DS9 again of course, he again annoyed me a little with mannerisms but he did really well in the final season with a tough storyline.
18. Alice Krige (2nd Borg Queen) Considering she had one facial expression she was genuinely fucking scary. I loved her screen time and therefore her acting must have been part of this.
19. John De Lancie - Continuing my love of camp villains.
20. Jeri Ryan - There was a reason she got a lot of screen time. Tits were not it entirely.

If we count the first 10 people only (or first six in one case) there are only 25 unique names so far.

I eat spreadsheets for breakfast, and right now I am very hungry.

Stop worrying so much about the destination -- as Harry Kim said (because the writers realized they hadn't given him enough lines in the finale), it's about the journey!

Has everyone done this now? I WAS EXCITED ABOUT THIS AND WE HAVE GONE QUIET.

Where is Sausage man with his graphs?

There are other people here who like Star Trek but I guess they can't be bothered to vote or something.

I'll edit mine to a top twenty later.

1. DeForest Kelley - I had a long think, and while I love so many of the actors, I think his performance as McCoy was the most natural of any of them.
2. Andrew Robinson - Blessed with a fantastically written character, he matched it with his performance.
3. Patrick Stewart - Picard didn't have the greatest emotional range, but Sir Patrick squeezed everything he could out of him.
4. Leonard Nimoy - He is Spock.
5. Colm Meaney - Another very natural performance. Showed that being a normal guy didn't have to mean boring.
6. Brent Spiner - On the surface playing an emotionless android sounds pretty straightforward, but he did bring many subtleties to the role.
7. William "The Shat" Shatner - He gets a lot of stick for his weird speech patterns, but Kirk wouldn't have been the same without him.
8. Avery Brooks - Again, weird vocal stuff going on, but GREAT presENCE.
9. Jonathan Frakes - A safe pair of hands.
10. Alexander Siddig - He didn't get many interesting stories from what I can remember, but he's a fine actor.
11. Robert Picardo - I found his stories a bit wearisome, always having really forced comedy (remember when the EMH became a famous opera singer and dressed as a clown?!), but he did his best.
12. Armin Shimmerman - Again, some really out of tune comedy scripts, but they couldn't hide his acting skillage.
13. LeVar Burton - Bridge, we have a NEW problem!
14. Jeri Ryan - More than boobs.
15. Dwight Schultz - He-e-e-e played Reg really well. OR did he just find acting really nerve racking?
16. Marc Alaimo - Not a lame-o.
17. J.G.Hertzler - A worthy Chancellor.
18. Nichelle Nichols - She's just got a way.
19. Wil Wheaton - Considering his age when he started he was actually pretty good. It's not his fault the writing made him annoying.
20. Michael Dorn - Really quite a mild mannered actor, playing a growly manly man. And that voice!

I wanted to include Brooks (and kind of forgot when I was writing in the list) but there were some scenes where he was either completely bizarre or awful. Like the scene where he's possessed by Dax's serial killer host. "Hello Jadzia!"

Shame I forgot to include Whoopi Golberg to annoy Headvoid.

Whoopi was good, but her scenes were all very similar, so you didn't quite get the sense of her range. Guinan never really moved beyond the convenient magic black lady trope into something with more depth.

I don't care if she did fuckin Othello in 10 forward. She was still as annoying as a caterpillar in yoghurt.

Fuddlemiff's choices are particularly interesting:

Spiner / Frakes: Everyone seems to love them, I am obviously missing something. Perhaps I am suffering from familiarity breeds contempt...

Alexander Siddig: Controversial! Often hated but I agree more with Jon than with the baying crowd

Colm Meaney: Just don't see it, way too high. We can never be friends.

Marc Alaimo: Great choice, especially as he had to descend into god head / madness which could easily have become pantomime.

I don't care if she did fuckin Othello in 10 forward. She was still as annoying as a caterpillar in yoghurt.
8729.imgcache.jpg

Back