Things that offend Islam

Virginia

ever seen the series 'the politics of terror' ?

Very enlightening.

Virginia

Neoconservatism, the war on iraq, al-queda, the FBI, and psychology.

Anubis

TAFKA Chadarnook
Could you sum up a bit for me?

It did of course mention how the Mossad, CIA, and MI5 attempted to set up false Al Qaeda cells around the world?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair and objective far from all muslims feel the way that woman put across her article. It was the perfect example of tarring everyone with the same brush.

By her standards every muslim is stoning its women day in day out for wearing white socks. This is totally untrue and really laughable if you actually bother to think about reality.

I am no apologist for Islam but its one sided skewered views and people actually believeing the hype that gets to me so much.

Women turning to Islam are aware that many cannot understand why any Western woman would choose a religion often depicted as oppressive of women.

But they insist that depiction is a false image perpetuated by the media, and that in fact Islam is more forward-thinking about gender than many Western traditions. As evidence, they note that Islam allowed women to own property and vote long before Western cultures.

In modelling a more egalitarian form of Islamic culture in the US than in some parts of the world, these women also say they may influence Muslims worldwide.

"Unfortunately, the way Islam is practised currently in some countries is not ideal," said Christina Safiya Tobias-Nahi, 30, who became Muslim six years ago.

"A lot of countries are looking to see how we practise it here, and we have the potential to be a really strong role model for men and women in other countries."

These new Muslim women generally choose to cover their hair with a scarf, or hijab, to follow Muslim dietary laws that include prohibitions on pork and alcohol, and to pray five times a day.

Many of their families are profoundly unhappy.

"When I got home ... my dad didn't want his other kids to see me in my hijab," Ms Graziano said. On the other hand, "It's liberating because people don't look at you and think about your figure and your hairstyle, and guys don't look at you and think about making a pass at you."

American Muslim women tend to view the subjugation of women in countries such as Afghanistan and Iran as aberrant examples of Islam.

They point to the fact that while no woman has been a serious contender for president of the US, Muslim women have led Bangladesh, Pakistan and Turkey and a Muslim woman is poised to become the next leader of Indonesia, the most populous Muslim country in the world.

http://www.islamfortoday.com/americanmuslimwomen03.htm

Four out of every five Muslim converts are women, while oppression and islamic extremism are most certainly guilty of all the things that rather one sided article put forth that is not indicative of the whole of Islam. Thinking along those lines is seriously misguided and I am suprised any half-intelligent person whould buy into that one singular view of an entire culture.

I read a book by John Simpson a British news reporter who met Osma Bin Laden years ago and has done a lot of reporting in Afghanistan and of the Taliban in general. He sited that he witnessed actual Taliban drag queens decked out in lipstick and eyeliner. These people are mad and insane, do they also account for every single Muslim?

Recently you may have heard that one of the top dogs in Al Quaida sent a message that was intercepted by the Americans. In it he was demanding that they needed to tone down their terror attacks and beheadings and such since the muslim masses (his words) abhored such action. These people the article author is talking about are extremists. Normal everyday muslims don't go around doing these sort of things. I have known Muslim people before now, they are not crazy or afraid of women or evil in the slightest.

Yes, Islam is the root of a serious amount of shit, and I happen to support Bush as many know on the war in Iraq and on the ongoing struggle against terrorism but I am frequently astounded by the love of sensationlism compared to the actual facts.

Islam, as a religion which (unlike Christianity) refused to attribute gender to the Godhead,1 and never appointed a male priestly elite to serve as an intermediary between creature and Creator, started life with the assurance that while men and women are equipped by nature for complementary rather than identical roles, no spiritual superiority inheres in the masculine principle.2 As a result, the Muslim community was happy to entrust matters of equal worth in God's sight. Only this can explain why, uniquely among the classical Western religions, Islam produced a large number of outstanding female scholars, on whose testimony and sound judgment much of the edifice of Islam depends.

http://www.islamfortoday.com/womenscholars.htm

Do I really think that Islam is this great place for women? No, not really, I don't find much to support Islam in to be honest but making them out to be the evil of the universe and warping the true meaning of their religion is just silly.

Christianity has a rather archaic view of women as well to be honest. The pagan feminin focus was all but wiped out by Christianity in favour for the male superiority.

All religions have there issues and I know, someone will pipe in saying "well, they drive planes into buildings!", and yes, I agree with you, these people need to be stopped but these people are NOT muslims. They have managed to warp the Qu'ran into there own physchopathic blood lust since being nice to eachother is nowhere near as exciting as waging holy wars. I'm just trying to make it clear that the muslim masses do NOT act this way or believe the crap the way it is reported in that article. Fundermentalism is dangerous no matter who practices it and under whatever guise.

TJHairball

I love this place
Chadarnook said:
Go fuck yourself. Debate what I write or stfu.
I take it that you dispute that Crusade means "holy war" and is a term strongly associated with violence by members of a particular religion against those of other religions, and as appropriately a "trigger" term as Jihad when used by modern leaders in the context of conflict between people?

I welcome seeing any actual argument by yourself to that effect.

Anubis

TAFKA Chadarnook
cru·sade Audio pronunciation of "crusade" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kr-sd)
n.

1. often Crusade Any of the military expeditions undertaken by European Christians in the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries to recover the Holy Land from the Muslims.
2. A holy war undertaken with papal sanction.
3. A vigorous concerted movement for a cause or against an abuse. See Synonyms at campaign.

It's pretty obvious that everyone associates it with #3. :evil:

I was addressing:

More worth attention than most of what Chadarnook posts, though.

and nothing more.

TJHairball

I love this place
Chadarnook said:
It's pretty obvious that everyone associates it with #3.
Not really. Dictionaries list in descending order of usage/association.
Chadarnook said:
I was addressing:
TJHairball said:
More worth attention than most of what Chadarnook posts, though.
and nothing more.
What, this is true IMO. It's even a fairly good article as far as such go - worth the read. Unlike many of the links you provided in the next thread over, most of which provided little to nothing worthwhile in terms of information and were, in some cases, rather poorly written.

:yoohoo: