To dog or not to dog

whisky

Boobie inspector
My wife and son would really like a dog, I'm not so sure, they live like 12 years or so, I dont want to get close to someone that is temporary.

My mum wrote a poem about her dog that breaks me every time I read it.

I have lost so many people it just seems like setting myself up for another loss.

Do you have a dog? Do you recommend one?

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
My first dog was a beautiful german shepherd. We had him thirteen years. I was completely heartbroken when he passed, but his memory still makes me happy to have had those years with him. We waited for a year and now have 2 rescues, one is 12, and one is 10.

When they pass I will grieve and then get another dog or two because I LOVE them in my life. They love you unconditionally, and NO ONE greets you like that when you've been away for a few hours.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
my wife does the am duties, but we adventure in the afternoons with them and we take turns taking them out after dinner. It's a thing.

Your mileage may very though, I agree.

Mirah

I love you
My wife and son would really like a dog, I'm not so sure, they live like 12 years or so, I dont want to get close to someone that is temporary.

My mum wrote a poem about her dog that breaks me every time I read it.

I have lost so many people it just seems like setting myself up for another loss.

Do you have a dog? Do you recommend one?

If it will make your wife and son happy I say do it. If you are in a position to do so and to care for it Go For it!

I grew up having animals and when I didnt have animals I pet sat and now I have a cat of my own again.

Animals die but we give them the best life while they are here and it benefits us also.

DO IT!

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
You'll end up being the one to walk it and pick up it's poop. This is a factor.
That's why if I ever get a pet, it will be a cat. They poop indoors in a box. Easier poop clean up, no need to walk a cat in the rain and snow.

The Question

Eternal
That's why if I ever get a pet, it will be a cat. They poop indoors in a box. Easier poop clean up, no need to walk a cat in the rain and snow.

Catters > Doggos.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Dogs are great, but you need to be prepared to take care of them. They need the vet, they need baths, they need nail trims, some of them need haircuts, they need walks, etc. I have a tiny monster dog right now. He's hilarious and bossy.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Cats are better because they can go out by themselves and poop anywhere without getting arrested.

The Question

Eternal
That's because they're sneaky. Like me. 'Cause that's how I get away with pooping outside without getting arrested. Stealth poops.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I had a dog for about 10 years. Got her when she was 2. Lab/Border Collie. She was literally a part time job. I probably spent 20-30 hours a week on her. Couldn't take jobs where I might work long hours. Couldn't go out for drinks after work with friends. I think every room in my house, I can find a pillow or a rug or a plant that is a reminder of stuff she destroyed because she didn't like to be left alone. She was a pain in the ass. I loved her. She died in March and I get a little sad still, just typing this. I still cry about losing her pretty regularly. But after a year or so break, I absolutely plan on getting another.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I have not been without a dog for the past 20 years. Ginger and Mr Bill are buried in the back yard. I could cry over either of them at any time, but they've been gone long enough I don't feel so sad anymore. Just if I think about them too much. Same happens if I think about my grandma too much.