Too Conchaga, Me do da ook tang!

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
^You can literally see those things while standing in one spot.

I'd suggest the Mural Arts tour. Philly boasts the most wall murals per building per capita than any other city in the world.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Also, if you have the cash, go visit one of Jose Garces' restaurants. They're face-meltingly delicious.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Oh, and the Constitution Center is kinda boring. If you're here on the first Sunday of the month, you can pay only a penny to get into the Art Museum. I think the Franklin Institute (with its IMAX theater) boasts the same thing.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Thanks for the suggestions. The lunch Chef's Tasting Menu at Chifa's and the Mural Arts tour along with the historical sites will round out the day we are there very nicely. Anything that is a must see?

eloisel

Forever Empress E
We're planning on flying up May 18th. We're still working on where we fly to first. I want to go on a tour of the Hudson River, see historical and other sites of interest in Philadelphia, and at least look at New York City from a distance. We are also going to the Seattle area. My travel buddy is trying to get me up into Canada also.

Ohh - going to add the Franklin Institute and Geno's to the list too. We may need to stay a little longer than a day.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
It depends on what you're looking for, really.

The museums on the parkway are spectacular. The audio tour for the Eastern State Penitentiary (the prototype for all modern prisons) is given by Steve Buscemi. There's the Edgar Allen Poe House. Philly boasts the oldest and first Zoo in the nation with a huge variety of endangered and rare species. The gayborhood and South Street are fairly big attractions. Go to Sisters if you want that "Birdcage" feel.

When you get closer to your trip, I HIGHLY suggest checking out http://www.phillyfunguide.com They list all of the fun, free and cheap things to do in the city year-round.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Yeah, you can't really do the Mural Arts tour AND the Franklin in one day. The Mural Arts tour is usually run off of a trolley that makes "stops" for ticket-holders throughout the city, but the beginning of the tour is in Old City (East side) and the Franklin is closer to I76, about 12 blocks away to the West. It's mostly a straight shot up Market, but your dogs are gonna be barkin'.

Geno's is in South Philly, about 20 blocks south of the Liberty Bell and the Mural Arts starting point. So, take a cab or use the Broad Street (orange) line to save on walking.

I always found Liberty State Park to be a great place to see the NYC skyline from a distance. However, NYC is Eggs' jurisdiction.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Enke, I just like encouraging people to come to our fair city. Even if it IS plagued with black-on-black crime and profuse crack/heroin abundance in the poorer areas.

Seriously, though. Don't go too far off the beaten path. This town is well-known for swallowing tourists whole.

Enkephalen

My Stars!
If I ever come to your city, I will double check with you on where to go and where to stay away. Every city has its bad side of town (including the resort town I live in, in SoCal) that's not advertised by the City Fathers. While I understand a city wanting to retain and encourage tourism for the revenue, they also need to somehow let the greenhorn tourist know where to go, what time to go, and where to stay away no matter the time of day.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Thanks for all the excellent info. Might be a good idea to put Philadelphia on the agenda before taking the plane to Seattle - a 7 hour flight. We can rest up from all the walking and eating.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Enke, I just like encouraging people to come to our fair city. Even if it IS plagued with black-on-black crime and profuse crack/heroin abundance in the poorer areas.

Seriously, though. Don't go too far off the beaten path. This town is well-known for swallowing tourists whole.

That is also good to know. We're both women in our 50s - in good shape, but older. I worry we might look like targets so I definitely want to stay in the safer areas.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
If I ever come to your city, I will double check with you on where to go and where to stay away. Every city has its bad side of town (including the resort town I live in, in SoCal) that's not advertised by the City Fathers. While I understand a city wanting to retain and encourage tourism for the revenue, they also need to somehow let the greenhorn tourist know where to go, what time to go, and where to stay away no matter the time of day.

Do you live anywhere near San Louis Obispo? The travel buddy I'm going with to the upper states also wants to look at San Louis Obispo for her winter home. Place is supposed to be super good for people suffering with allergies.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
I have a very good friend who has two kids (third on the way) and lives in SLO. She LOVES it.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
That is also good to know. We're both women in our 50s - in good shape, but older. I worry we might look like targets so I definitely want to stay in the safer areas.

Well, if you find yourself on the west side of Broad Street, South of Washington Ave, head back Northeast. If you cross the river to the West side of Philly and the buildings stop being taller than four stories, go back east. Lastly, if you start seeing banners on Broad Street for Temple University, you've gone too far North.

There's an upside down L-shaped box in center city that's best to stay in. Once you get out past 69th street, to the west, and US Route 1, to the north, you're just gonna end up in suburbia.

Enkephalen

My Stars!
@ Eloisel - No I don't live near SLO - I live in the desert end of SoCal. Hot, dry (although this past summer it was humid and hot - no fun) Spontaneous Combusion Land overrun with too many tourists who drive too slow in the fast lane while sightseeing.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Temecula? My uncle lives there. I can't say the name without thinking of the sound a person makes right before vomiting or some sort of pandemic plague.

Enkephalen

My Stars!
Not Temecula -- that's up higher. Try Coachella Valley.

If you replace "Maria: with "Temecula" in the song"Maria" from Westside Story, you could make it almost a prayer. :smfcheesy: