Toyota plans to let American's die

The Question said:
More like Fords, Chevys and Dodges. Yes, I'm aware that the former group are also manufactured here, don't be a smartass. You know what I mean.
I've worked in auto repair shops for years. I've seen more american made cars with less than 50K needing major repair work. Rarely have I seen any jap models that needed anything other than mantanence.
And most american cars are built in Canada and have parts made in Mexico.

Starburn said:
I've worked in auto repair shops for years. I've seen more american made cars with less than 50K needing major repair work. Rarely have I seen any jap models that needed anything other than mantanence.
And most american cars are built in Canada and have parts made in Mexico.

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say American cars are inherently better; I'm only saying that this news about Toyota is going to create a perception shift that will lead a lot of people away from Toyota, which is going to see more people buying American-badged cars instead. Most people are going to (as it looks like you assumed I did) go on brand perception more strongly than anything else.

Hambil said:
It's not about saving YOU money. It's about using less fuel, and having lower emissions. Even if you come out even, you come out ahead in the long run. Of course, hybrids aren't very "gangsta".

If it ain't about saving me money, then fuck it. I don't give a shit about using less fuel and having lower emissions... I leave that touchy-feely shit to the tree huggers.

If the gas pumps are hurting MY POCKET, and alternatives save ME money, then that's the reason for buying them. Not so that I reduced the emissions by a billionth of a percent.

Fuck the planet.

Han Solo said it best: I ain't in it for your rebellion, and I certainly ain't in it for you, princess. I'm in it for the money.

I buy american. I won't own a car that wasn't built here. And I find out which plants build the vehicles I make so I don't wind up with a Canada car. I may think the UAW get paid crazy too much money, but I don't want to see the jobs go overseas. (Which is happening anyway, but whatever) My little truck was built in Louisiana, forget the name of the town, my wife's car was built at Dayton I think it was, anyway Ohio, and the one ton was built somewhere in Michigan (one of two plants up in Michigan, I never found out which). All three I have owned for a number of years, all three I have put a good chunk of miles on, and short of a starter in one of them, nothing's ever broken on any of them. I will always buy American.

The Question said:
I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say American cars are inherently better; I'm only saying that this news about Toyota is going to create a perception shift that will lead a lot of people away from Toyota, which is going to see more people buying American-badged cars instead. Most people are going to (as it looks like you assumed I did) go on brand perception more strongly than anything else.
Honey, I don't know what you're basing this off of, but Toyota is #2 in sales, etc. Many predictions put them at #1 in just a few short years.
People aren't going to be shifting to American very fast if gas keeps on the way it is. American companies are still building either gas guzzler sports cars/trucks/SUVs, or crackerboxes with piss poor quality and horrible safety ratings. They're just now trying to figure out how to build exciting, dependable, and fuel efficient vehicles that Imports have been doing for ages. A little too late. By the time American companies figure out what they need to do to sell more cars in this day and age, Import companies will be miles ahead like usual.
A lot of purchases of American vehicles stem from long time brand loyalty. Not necessarily because they're getting any better.

^^And the only reason they're #2 is because GM is so massive, with so many brands and models, they're #1 almost by default. Add to that the fact that a shitload of GM's end up as fleet cars in rental-car company lots, and it's easy to see why they're clinging to #1. But their grip is surely slipping.

SSgt_Sniper said:
I buy american. I won't own a car that wasn't built here. And I find out which plants build the vehicles I make so I don't wind up with a Canada car. I may think the UAW get paid crazy too much money, but I don't want to see the jobs go overseas. (Which is happening anyway, but whatever) My little truck was built in Louisiana, forget the name of the town, my wife's car was built at Dayton I think it was, anyway Ohio, and the one ton was built somewhere in Michigan (one of two plants up in Michigan, I never found out which). All three I have owned for a number of years, all three I have put a good chunk of miles on, and short of a starter in one of them, nothing's ever broken on any of them. I will always buy American.
So you're saying that you'll buy an import? Many if not most are built on American soil this day and age. ;)

You know very well what I am saying. Don't even think of using the word twist on me.

What bothers me most is trying to find a car that doesn't have at least some import parts. By the way, you never will anymore, I've tried.

Such avoidance of an import, or import parts. Not getting a new car anytime soon are ya? ;)
I may prefer imports, but my first car was a 93 Chevy Corsica that NEVER broke down. My dad's a Chevy man and I respect American too. Hell, I'm looking to get a Mustang, but my Subaru keeps a warm fuzzy spot in my heart.
Just because it's not what you're loyal to, doesn't mean it's bad.

Trollwars Ghost said:
If it ain't about saving me money, then fuck it. I don't give a shit about using less fuel and having lower emissions... I leave that touchy-feely shit to the tree huggers.

If the gas pumps are hurting MY POCKET, and alternatives save ME money, then that's the reason for buying them. Not so that I reduced the emissions by a billionth of a percent.

Fuck the planet.

Han Solo said it best: I ain't in it for your rebellion, and I certainly ain't in it for you, princess. I'm in it for the money.
Do you have any children?

^^My kids will be smart enough to fix our messes...just like we're fixing the messes of the "me-me-me" Boomer Generation.

Nothing changes cause it's all the same
The world you get's the one you give away
It all just happens again
Way down the line

There is a chain that's never broken
You know the story it's sad but true
An angry man gets drunk and beats his kids
The same old way his drunken father did
What comes around well it goes around

Way down the line

At 17 Shannon is pregnant
As young as her mom when she had her
Her kid is never gonna have a dad
The same old way that Shannon never had

Way down the line

And all the things you learn when you're a kid
You'll fuck up just like your parents did
Way down the line

And welfare moms have kids on welfare
And fat parents they have fat kids too
You know it's never gonna end
The same old cycle's gonna start again

Way down the line

And all the things you learn when you're a kid
You'll fuck up just like your parents did
Way down the line

You seem to all be missing the point. Toyota knows these cars are dangerous. They are recalling them over sees. Yet they aren't recalling them here because "nothing's happened here yet".

SSgt_Sniper said:
they are issuing an inspection notice correct?

Yes, which is much stronger than a "service bulletin". A service bulletin is only sent to dealers, so they can look for a potential problem when a customer brings his or her car in for service.

An inspection notice or notice of possible defect says that there may be a problem with your vehicle, and you should bring it into a dealer for a no-cost inspection. I don't see the problem with this approach. If you are a responsible auto owner, you should check your manufacturer's website for bulletins anyway. I found out about a recall on our CR-V (it was a faulty emergency brake cable that MIGHT fail if it got wet repeatedly) a week before we got the actual bulletin in the mail.

Back