Toyota plans to let American's die

Lilith said:
People aren't going to be shifting to American very fast if gas keeps on the way it is. American companies are still building either gas guzzler sports cars/trucks/SUVs, or crackerboxes with piss poor quality and horrible safety ratings. They're just now trying to figure out how to build exciting, dependable, and fuel efficient vehicles that Imports have been doing for ages. A little too late. By the time American companies figure out what they need to do to sell more cars in this day and age, Import companies will be miles ahead like usual.
A lot of purchases of American vehicles stem from long time brand loyalty. Not necessarily because they're getting any better.

Ever notice we were in the same situation 30 years ago? Really, people were saying exactly the same thing in the late 70s, and shortly thereafter the Japanese imports became immensely popular. I guess we didn't learn much from that, since we're back in the same boat again.

Didn't really have a point, I just find the whole thing a little ironic. Carry on.

Yeah, they'll be looking for things like environmental factors (which this monster of a nation has a diversity of) to see if they can figure out a specific failure cause. They will most likely fix any that look to be bad. Seen it before. No biggie.

Hambil said:
You seem to all be missing the point. Toyota knows these cars are dangerous. They are recalling them over sees. Yet they aren't recalling them here because "nothing's happened here yet".
There's a difference there. Toyota knows they have defects and are recalling them/sending out SBs.
Ford knows all too well how unsafe their vehicles are and proven to be and they choose to look the other way.

Lilith, I was referring to their Corolla's, Camry's, and Tercel's. Very few remain on the road that old. Their trucks are a different story. The Tacoma's have always been tough little trucks. They've gotten bigger over the years.

When it comes to small trucks, American car makers have screwed it all up. Ford still has its ancient Ranger that hasn't had a major redesign since the early '90's, and is the runt of the choices. The new Colorado by Chevy is a good looking truck, but isn't as nice as the Toyota. The only real competition with the Tacoma is the Nissan Frontier (a better buy IMHO).

Other than getting in the car, turning the key, and the thing starts, people are very concious of how what they drive looks. American cars are finally starting to look nice, and more "upscale" in style than ever before. This is helping boost sales, along with incentives, improved reliability, and decent alternatives.

Lilith said:
There's a difference there. Toyota knows they have defects and are recalling them/sending out SBs.
Ford knows all too well how unsafe their vehicles are and proven to be and they choose to look the other way.
WORD.

Lilith said:
I see old Camry's and Corollas EVERYWHERE. And the Tercel, meh.

Good for you. I don't.

And don't think Toyota doesn't have defects. They do, and they do hide them. They aren't angels either.

Crapolla (Corolla), Crumbry (Camry), Pisao (Paseo),Turdel (Tercel), Shitica (Celica), Peeus (Prius), Suckoia (Saquoia), Dumbdra (Tundra), Suckara (Solara), Urine (Yaris)...

^^You are not paying attention if you don't see old Toyota sedans on the road. They're everywhere. The only thing more ubiquitous than an old Corolla or Camry is a Honda Civic.

Nope, sorry. They are not out here. I see plenty of old Civics, but nary an old Corolla in sight. Over where I live, people drive the hell out of their cars, and put a lot of mileage on them. The Toyotas just don't last. They physically wear out.

A Karas said:
Crapolla (Corolla), Crumbry (Camry), Pisao (Paseo),Turdel (Tercel), Shitica (Celica), Peeus (Prius), Suckoia (Saquoia), Dumbdra (Tundra), Suckara (Solara), Urine (Yaris)...
What was this supposed to prove? Besides being silly and not relevant to the topic.

And I never said they didn't have problems. But they seem to care a bit more than American companies like Ford who know they have defective and dangerous products and don't seem to care like they should.

That's scary.

AKaras, I have no idea where you've been living, because any normal person will see these cars everywhere. My uncle owned a shop before he died and was a mechanic for 30+ years. Toyota was one of his most trusted brands. And it wasn't because that's all he worked on. He liked they because they were durable as all hell and he had seen way too many American vehicles kicking the bucket at around 50,000 miles.

And he owned a Chevy Silverado,and his wife a Toyota Avalon so it wasn't a bias, it was a fact he had found to be true over the decades he worked on cars.

Hell, I'm not bias. If a car sucks, it sucks. No matter what brand it is.

In all fairness, a friend of mine bought a Toyota Tacoma quad cab last Friday. Black, big tires, 4WD, the works. I got a chance to play with it, and it was pretty sweet ride.

Back