Where do you rank? Political Compass

I didn't make myself clear. I was equating RIGHT WINGERS with fascists, not Libertatians.

I apologise for any confusion this may have caused.

There are two types of libertarians. Right wing and left wing. When used with a big "L" it refers to the Libertarian Party, which is a right wing libertarian party.

pcgraphpng.php

It helps undecideds to pick a political party that aligns most with their views. The real problem is that almost all political "quizzes" are biased. That's why you won't get accurate results. The test I linked above is what the libertarian party has linked on their website. And, you saw where I scored. So, that should be enough proof.

pcgraphpng.php

I'm usually a bit further to the right economically and I've been moving further down for quite some time now. No idea what screwed up my perfect 10 score this time round on the economic scale.

As for the LP - I do think they have a "left" wing. I don't follow what they're doing too closely but in their presidential primaries there were quite a few lefty candidates. In all honesty, they probably would have been better than Barr though (not in terms of electoral success but a LP candidate who doesn't support the legalization of heroin? Come on...).

pcgraphpng.php

I'm usually a bit further to the right economically and I've been moving further down for quite some time now. No idea what screwed up my perfect 10 score this time round on the economic scale.

As for the LP - I do think they have a "left" wing. I don't follow what they're doing too closely but in their presidential primaries there were quite a few lefty candidates. In all honesty, they probably would have been better than Barr though (not in terms of electoral success but a LP candidate who doesn't support the legalization of heroin? Come on...).

No, the LP doesn't have a left wing. The Libertarian Party is a solid right-wing party. I was talking about the general philosophy of libertarianism (small l) That can either be left or right. Although in my personal opinion, without economic freedom, your personal freedoms are at the whim of Government. When they hold your purse strings, they can do virtually anything they want. Your rights become privileges.

Mary Ruwart's her name. I looked it up again.
2. Mary Ruwart.
Age: 59. Experience: Candidate for multiple local offices, author of Healing Our World in an Age of Aggression and other books.

Like Barr, Ruwart was pushed into the race by Libertarians who were unsatisfied by their choices. Like Barr, she didn’t need to be pushed very hard. Twenty-four years ago, Ruwart, then a scientific researcher and first-time LP delegate, threw her hat into the presidential nomination race and came in third. From there she mounted a series of unsuccessful (but often credible) bids for local offices, supplemented by reams and reams of freelance writing about nonaggression, philosophy, and left-libertarian ideas.

There are two types of libertarians. Right wing and left wing. When used with a big "L" it refers to the Libertarian Party, which is a right wing libertarian party.

I am considered a Liberal Libertarian, but that is b/c I don't support the complete destruction of all social safety nets or removal of the government from the economy. I believe Job Corp should be expanded in the cities and a new CCC in the country put in place of welfare. I believe in publicly funded education, but with a voucher system and a destruction of teachers unions by way of charter schools. I also support limited government interference in the marketplace via strong anti-trust regulations and transparency laws, as well as limited government research a la DARPA.

As far as Libertarianism goes that is left wing. However in American politics those positions are pretty far right.

I am considered a Liberal Libertarian, but that is b/c I don't support the complete destruction of all social safety nets or removal of the government from the economy.
I believe Job Corp should be expanded in the cities and a new CCC in the country put in place of welfare. I believe in publicly funded education, but with a voucher system and a destruction of teachers unions by way of charter schools. I also support limited government interference in the marketplace via strong anti-trust regulations and transparency laws, as well as limited government research a la DARPA.

As far as Libertarianism goes that is left wing. However in American politics those positions are pretty far right.

You must be European. That explains the difference in terms. A liberal there is a right wing libertarian here. I feel the government has a place to regulate business, but it should be small and limited. The government should be there chiefly to keep people from killing each other and robbing each other blind. Also maintaining infrastructure and defense from invasion. Social safety nets should likewise be limited. They should be there for those who REALLY need them. People who are UNABLE (not unwilling) to work and take care of themselves. Or, say for example in the case of one person I know: A woman who has 4 kids, and her husband left and doesn't pay his child support. She works full time, but still can't make anywhere close to enough money. She should have some kind of assistance. The removal of all safety nets and complete removal of government from business is closer to Ayn Rand's Objectivism than to Libertarianism. (At least the American form, which is what I'm talking about.)

Back