I miss my Blue Room Thread...

The Question

Eternal
Have you tried telling him that you have to go because the cat is on fire and you need to record it?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Tonight I played a little game of FUCK YOU, I WIN. I'm not a confrontational person by nature so, as in this case, it was played against an inanimate object.

Because I had particular needs, my desk is handmade. Or modular might be a better description of it. It used to be a huge affair, with a bookcase making one whole side with a 2 drawer file for the other front corner and then a 4x4 in the back corner. For the past 15 years I haven't had space for that arrangement, so the bookcase is in the living room, replaced with a board with the file cabinet being the major element and a much smaller top workspace.

There's also a pencil drawer. And because I've tried to keep it modular, it is a bit more...rickety than is ideal. I had the pencil drawer fall off its rails a few days back and the front moulding on the workspace isn't on as solid as I'd like. In fact a few weeks/months back, the little staple gun brads that were holding one end on came loose and I've been pushing it back on ever since.

Today I got the bedroom all cleaned up. I mean I didn't go over surfaces with Pledge or mop the floors and wipe down walls yet, but everything else was clean. And then the fucking moulding came loose again and wouldn't press back in. So at that point--even though it's bedtime--I said decided it was time to play FUCK YOU, I WIN.

I ripped the moulding off and spent 5 minutes cleaning ineffectual glue off it. I just swept and vacuumed, but fuck it. I also just washed my robe that I'm now getting bits of dried glue all over but, again, fuck it. Got done, shook off as best I could, shook out the rug, and got the broom and dustpan. Then I went out to the garage for the brad gun and the wood glue and glued and nailed that bastard on good. FUCK YOU, I WIN.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
FUCK YOU, I WIN should not be confused with PROBLEM SOLVED! They look a lot alike, but with FUCK YOU, I WIN, I actually fix whatever item is annoying me to the point of rage. PROBLEM SOLVED! is a lot simpler. I just smash whatever the problem is, throw it on the floor, and possible stomp it a few times.

The Question

Eternal
Yeah, you keep just being an object lesson, there, choad-stack.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Trapped on the phone with Retarded William Shatner, telling me what he had for dinner. With lots of awkward pauses--and coughing and sniffling thrown in.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Kill me please.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Do the world a favor and do it yourself, you whiny bitch.

I'm positive we'll be just fine without you.

You do know you can hang up your own phone, right?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Speaking of retarded...

The Question

Eternal
Let's guess 'Gear's next response. I predict it'll go a little som'n like this:

mGLX5OV.gif

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Ch-ch-ch-changes... In 2002 I discovered Portland, Oregon. Wonderful little city with quirky people who would say "hello" to strangers on the street, nice weather (to someone who grew up in Wisconsin), lots of strip bars, reasonable rents ($495 for a 500sf apartment in town), and a live-and-let-live vibe.

Unfortunately I didn't realize the mid '90s was the peak and 2002 was the tail end of things for Portland. Now there's lots of taxes, lots of homeless, insane rents, constant protests, needles on the sidewalks and more and more taxes and rules. I've known for at least 8 years that I should leave, but when you're in the Columbia River Gorge and the sun hits Mt. Hood just right... It makes everything worth it.

Well it is getting unavoidable. After realizing my second "dream job" wasn't going doing anything but making me miserable because of the management at all levels in the company, I left. Spent quite a bit of time just unwinding and getting my head back together. I did zap off a couple online applications in my line of work for Boise ID and Charlotte NC around the start of the year but never heard anything back. The online system was a bit annoying too, in that you couldn't submit a cover letter which really is what fleshes out the resume and sells the position.

Anyway, today was time to get the ball rolling again in earnest so I started with the companies in my industry. Logged on to the aforementioned site and my "dead" apps show as still active, with one having a status of "set up phone screen" and one with "under review". Unfortunately both those updates are from January so I'm not sure if that means they're dead or not. And they've done a very good job of making it impossible to contact any humans directly. They control the interactions completely.

What else is going on? Lately I tend to wake up around 4:30am. Today I decided to just roll with it and got out of bed around 5--that way I could get away with a lunchtime nap without feeling like a slug. I took my dog for a walk--or maybe she took me, because I kind of let her pick the route. She wound up taking me to a house she would visit when she would escape while I was at work. This is the second time she's done this on a walk. Stay at home Mom, 2 cute kids, and a couple smaller dogs. They love my dog and when the youngest saw her on the sidewalk, they all came outside. They're looking for a dog if I'm willing to let her go. I love my dog, but she's a handful. She probably takes up at least 20 hours a week--to the point where I can't have a job and a life and a dog--I've got to pick 2 (maybe only 1). Having a whole family would spread out some of the attention she would get. And she's a working dog--she needs a job. So on these days I've been home, she just lays around and looks bored until her 2 walks a day. If she was with this family, she would be responsible for protecting them (I need a lot less protection than they do, I think). And if I let her go it would certainly make moving to another state easier. Although right now I've still got a cat that poops the minute you load her into a carrier and put her in the car. I don't relish the idea of driving across country to the aroma of cat poop. So that's where I'm at. A little bit Hamlet, a little bit Puff the Magic Dragon, knowing I need to make a change, but not quite ready to make it.

In an hour or two The Dog goes for another walk and if she takes me to their house again, I plan to let them have her. Otherwise I'll sleep on it and decide in the morning.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
A funny thing happened today. A few years back I met a girl. Interesting girl. Artist. But it seemed like she had a plan and a way to make it work. Long shot, but thought I might have a slim chance with her. I didn't. In fact for whatever reason, she unfriended me on Facebook and has ignored my refriend request. BUT...we're still in some of the same online groups. AND...Today came in interesting post from her:

"[X] stopped into a club I dance at last night..." So now she's gone from doing art and a sideline gig in art conservation to being a stripper. I mean, I guess it's still art. But it appeals to part of my black little heart.

Shit, what am I saying, she probably makes 5x the money I ever made.

I just regret she didn't say where she works. I'd pop in for a nice lapdance.

The Question

Eternal
Might as well forget all about that one. Mexican donkeys almost certainly don't carry dollar bills around with them.