iTunes

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
You can move your whole music library to another drive, and keep the software on your C drive.

First, copy all your music (hopefully organized in an "iTunes Music" folder) to the other drive. Then in iTunes, go to Edit-Preferences-Advanced. Under "iTunes Music location", hit Browse and find the "iTunes Music" folder in the new location. Once you select it, it should update your library and you're good to go.

If you're not sure where the music is stored on your computer, just right-click on any song in your library, and choose "Show in Windows Explorer" and then backtrack to the parent folder.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Yeah. They can sometimes be trickier to organize though. Sometimes iTunes reads them as Movies instead of TV shows, and they end up in the Movies group until you change the settings for each file using Get Info.

But everything gets stored in the overall "iTunes" folder, unless you changed the Preferences to tell iTunes not to organize you library. That would mean your files are scattered all over your computer. ;)

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
itunes TOTALLY pisses me the fuck off.

jack

trying to buy songs for my show that I cant get for free. IM TRYING TO PAY FOR THEM TO USE, and they're proprietary WMA's that I can't convert to MP3.

Apple cunts.

NeonMercuryASH

beer, I want beer
Eggs Mayonnaise said:
Yeah. They can sometimes be trickier to organize though. Sometimes iTunes reads them as Movies instead of TV shows, and they end up in the Movies group until you change the settings for each file using Get Info.

But everything gets stored in the overall "iTunes" folder, unless you changed the Preferences to tell iTunes not to organize you library. That would mean your files are scattered all over your computer. ;)
Big problem. I get an error message that say I do not have permission to move the file.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
If they were bought through iTunes, the option above I mentioned isn't editable. But you can still physically move the files, and then iTunes will update the library once you point to the new library folder.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
jack said:
trying to buy songs for my show that I cant get for free. IM TRYING TO PAY FOR THEM TO USE, and they're proprietary WMA's that I can't convert to MP3.

Apple cunts.
The old trick (I don't know if it still works, I haven't bought stuff from iTunes in a while) is to burn the files to CD/DVD right after you buy them, then quit out and open iTunes again, and "Import" those files as if you were converting them to MP3.

jack

No, they changed the AAC format so you cant even do that.

FUCKERS

Friday

Bazinga!
I just imported my whole library onto my new computer. It's a mess. My music videos and films are in the same file (movies).

Jack, I tried Eggs' trick a few months ago when I was making graduation CDs for my class. I was making CDs, then was told by Apple I could only copy it 7 times. Well, I imported the last CD back into iTunes, and they showed up as mp3's. Not a problem after that.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Friday said:
I just imported my whole library onto my new computer. It's a mess. My music videos and films are in the same file (movies).
This is where iTunes still sucks. You need to do "Get Info" on each music video file (or TV show file), and in the Video tab, change the Video Kind to the correct choice (Music Video or TV Show) in the pull-down menu. That will cause the file to move to the proper place in the library.

You can't do it to groups of files at once like with some Get Info options, so it's a tedious chore. It's something that Apple really needs to streamline next.

Friday

Bazinga!
I don't have the time nor the inclination to get over 68,000 songs/videos/films in order. I'll deal with it as it comes.

But yeah...it sucks.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
68,000???? :shock:

I thought I was hot shit when I reached 10,000! :D

Hi. I just installed iTunes and it scoured my hard drive for music files, found all of them, and organized them into a Music Library. How come it didn't search and organize the movie files I have on the hard drive as well?
unsure1ke1.gif

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
They have to be in QuickTime-capable format to be read by iTunes. You need to convert them to MP4 format.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Some formats can be converted right in iTunes. But it's not always a perfecct conversion.

There's a shareware tool called IMToo, you can find it online. Worth buying if you have a ton of files you want to watch on your iPod, or to convert from DVD.

I don't have an iPod. But I like the iTunes library organizer features.

It's regrettable that Quicktime can't play regular MPEG's, AVI's , WMV's and XVID's. :(

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Oh well. You're unique. :D