iTunes

Friday

Bazinga!
Eggs Mayonnaise said:
68,000???? :shock:

I thought I was hot shit when I reached 10,000! :D
Yeah. Most of them were a Christmas gift from a former acquaintance. I never listen to about 90% of it. Hell, I've forgotten that I own most of it until I do a search for something unrelated.

But very close to the top of my to-do list is buy a back-up for my external HD. I'd be suicidal if I lost those.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I dont use iTunes for that Friday. When you DL a song from them, it can only be played in that format, you cant convert their proprietary WMA to an MP3 like regular WMA's.

That should be illegal. The Electronic Copyright Act says I can copy anything I purchase for my own convenience of use.

Period.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
iTunes annoys me as well. I don't use it. I don't want it. I don't need it. But on rare occasions I need to use Apple's slow, crappy video format (what is it? Quicktime?) and iTunes inevitably installs itself and latches on like a deer tick. I mean the fucker embeds itself and is nigh on impossible to remove. Almost as bad as Norton. :mad:

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Just download QT directly from its page at the Apple site instead of relying on that Apple Software Update thing that gets auto-loaded with iTunes (unless you uncheck it at install).

I agree QT is, overall, a crappier video format than others.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
I use VLC. It doesn't require me to install iTunes, AND it makes my e-Penis feel bigger.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I have VLC too, it comes in handy.

Eggs Mayonnaise said:
Just download QT directly from its page at the Apple site instead of relying on that Apple Software Update thing that gets auto-loaded with iTunes (unless you uncheck it at install).

I agree QT is, overall, a crappier video format than others.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/
I found out that there's a QuickTime codec that enables it to play XVID's and other video formats. However, that codec is only available for the Mac OS operating system version, not the Windows version. :(

Ishcabittle

okay - itunes is annoying - but it can be very useful. just don't buy music, steal it. that makes everything a bunch easier.

That TV/Movies thing is tedious, though - I've had to organize around 150GB of bullshit one by one, but a positive upshot is now I now precisely what's in my library.

Volpone said:
iTunes annoys me as well. I don't use it. I don't want it. I don't need it. But on rare occasions I need to use Apple's slow, crappy video format (what is it? Quicktime?) and iTunes inevitably installs itself and latches on like a deer tick. I mean the fucker embeds itself and is nigh on impossible to remove. Almost as bad as Norton.

Make sure you don't check the associate checkbox when you install (make iTunes my default music player? no.), that will take care of the infestation feel to the app.

jack said:
I dont use iTunes for that Friday. When you DL a song from them, it can only be played in that format, you cant convert their proprietary WMA to an MP3 like regular WMA's.

That should be illegal. The Electronic Copyright Act says I can copy anything I purchase for my own convenience of use.

Period.

fight fire with fire, dude, steal that shit.

Eggs Mania said:
There's a shareware tool called IMToo, you can find it online. Worth buying if you have a ton of files you want to watch on your iPod, or to convert from DVD.

the better one is Videodora iPod/Apple TV converter. Free, queueing, background processing, total customization, etc. IMToo tends to desync audio and video. That shit gets annoying with longer movies.

the best part of iTunes (for people in multiple computer households) is the Sharing feature. my laptop has a couple things on it, here and there, but when I'm home I can stream anything from the 400GB of media on the iTunes Server. that's pretty nice.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Ishcabittle said:
IMToo tends to desync audio and video. That shit gets annoying with longer movies.
Yeah, what's up with that? I was hoping that got better with the last update but apparently not.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Ishcabittle said:
That TV/Movies thing is tedious, though - I've had to organize around 150GB of bullshit one by one, but a positive upshot is now I now precisely what's in my library.
Until the next time you have to move your files to another drive and repoint the iTunes library. In my experience, it doesn't remember the video distinctions and you have to do it all over again.

They really have to do something about this function, it's beyond unreasonable.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
The sharing feature's also good when you've got a neighbor who doesn't know anything about security broadcasting their open library on their open network, so you can laugh at their musical tastes.

Ishcabittle

^ LOL agreed

Eggs Mayonnaise said:
Until the next time you have to move your files to another drive and repoint the iTunes library. In my experience, it doesn't remember the video distinctions and you have to do it all over again.

They really have to do something about this function, it's beyond unreasonable.

Note: if you move the iTunes.xml file with the music (effectively moving the entire iTunes folder with the iTunes music folder inside it) you can then option-double click on the iTunes application (not in the dock, in the apps folder) and point iTunes to the new library location, with all of the video prefs intact.

Try option double clicking on the application, you'll see what I mean.

Ishcabittle

FBI parte due said:
The sharing feature's also good when you've got a neighbor who doesn't know anything about security broadcasting their open library on their open network, so you can laugh at their musical tastes.

Speaking of, remember OurTunes? I would leave my network open just so i could rip off entire libraries, fun stuff.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Ishcabittle said:
^ LOL agreed

Note: if you move the iTunes.xml file with the music (effectively moving the entire iTunes folder with the iTunes music folder inside it) you can then option-double click on the iTunes application (not in the dock, in the apps folder) and point iTunes to the new library location, with all of the video prefs intact.

Try option double clicking on the application, you'll see what I mean.
Well it's good that there's a workaround, but it's not exactly something they point out in the manual.

Oh wait, Apple doesn't provide manuals, they think manuals are tacky.

Thanks for the tip!

jack

I use LimeWire and Windows Media to keep all my stuff organized. Nice thing about WMP is it's playlists, which let me use songs in diffrerent sequences directly from the library.

jack

I got my whole Beck show off Limewire in about an hour.