Star Trek: Discovery season 2

The Question

Eternal
They should get Q to send them off to the Delta quadrant!

They should get Q to send the writers and showrunners to the Delta quadrant. Putting them on the surface of a planet can be considered purely optional.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
A fanwanky excuse might be that the Borg Queen did it in the 24th century because she wanted Picard to see it happen and for him to join her. She seemed like a bit of a bunny boiler.
Of corse first contact makes very little sense when you think about it.

If the ultimate goal was to go back in time and assimilate earth in the 21st century, why travel to earth in the 24?

Go back in time in the Delta quadrant, have a leasurly journey to earth with no pesky starfleet ships tagging along.

A fanwanky excuse might be that the Borg Queen did it in the 24th century because she wanted Picard to see it happen and for him to join her. She seemed like a bit of a bunny boiler.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
BBJ2waZ.png

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Could he shoot nano probes out of his stigmata?

whisky

Boobie inspector
Decent episode, the Pike stuff anyway.

Phasers seem much weaker than they used to be.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Captain Pike is hot.

CaptainWacky

The Pike stuff and the Spock/Burnham stuf was good (even though they shouldn't have been fooled by that obviously Borg-controlled guy.) I feel really sorry for the woman playing L'Rell having to act behind all that make-up. She can barely open her mouth now.

Why didn't they just jump away using the spore drive at the end?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah they handwaved that away, with Michael saying that however many times they jumped Control would find them. Maybe so, but it would buy them time, which she said they didn’t have.

Then again I’ve wondered for the last couple of weeks why they don’t just blow up the damned ship.

The Pike stuff was really good. It’s all very well seeing characters put themselves in harm’s way when we know they’ll be fine, but seeing what’s going to happen and doing your duty anyway is a completely different matter. I hope they keep him on for season three.

The Question

Eternal
Gotta admit, having Pike know in advance that he was gonna end up Freddy-Krueger-fied in the blinky chair, that was a nice touch.

The Question

Eternal
Would be nice to see an un-Disco-fied Enterprise. Almost certainly not going to happen, of course, but it'd be nice.

The Question

Eternal
I can see how they could un-Disco her if only slightly. The smoother '60s hull surface, non-glow-y nacelles, and thicker nacelle pylons? Ablative armor. Taller dorsal "neck"? Goes with the new saucer separation feature (though never previously shown on screen, this was supposedly a capability the TOS-E was planned to have but which, of course, TOS never had the budget for.)

As for Control re: a Borg tie-in -- I think there could be a tie-in, but not in the form of a Borg origin story. Fan theory: Control was built on scavenged Borg tech from the Enterprise episode "Regeneration." Other than some frozen drones, there was plenty of other wreckage there for Section 31 to scavenge and play with. If they built Control based on and even minimally incorporating salvaged Borg tech, then Control is following directives from its latent Borg "firmware" but using slightly different methods. So it's not originating the Borg so much as recreating the Borg, a progression that's resulting in similar but not identical nanoprobes and "drones."

Of course, that held until this last episode where they ripped off Terminator: Genisys.

CaptainWacky

This season has been a few magnitudes better than last season for sure, but it still feels pretty disjointed. I'm certainly not going to bag on it much this year. Anson Mount as Pike at least has been fucking brilliant.

It's good how you can give a fair and balanced view after hating season one (I pretty much agree.)

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
Oh yeah, I'm not a "hater" or whatever the kids call it these days at all, I simply thought 99% of last season was pretty fucking stupid. They have done some great character work this year, particularly with Saru and Pike, but everyone else as well so that's a major step up. The overall story arc has been a little wtf, but I chalk that up to the change in the writer's room once again.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Title of this episode should have been blue balls, it's all tease and no release.

CaptainWacky

Did they really not tell us who the new Captain is or did I miss it?

If they're doing season 3 set in the future (like Voyager, but in the future instead of the Delta Quadrant!) then that could actually be good. It would finally explain why no other ship has the spore drive and all that stuff. But Spock has to get off Discovery first, and will they really leave pointless Ash Tyler behind in the past? Or will some plot contrivance come along that means they don't have to be stranded in the future at all.