Star Trek: Discovery Season 3

MODMAN

Better yet, have her go back in time and prevent her parents being attacked by the Klingons, and she never ends up being Spock's sister.

Indeed.

Some brief remarks on last night's episode ...

I will admit I loved the Guardian's reveal - damn them.

In City On The Edge Of Forever, The Guardian proclaimed it could only operate in one mode when Kirk and Spock asked to go through to Bones' exact location. Now it can lock on to a specific period of time. The Guardian also appeared to be fairly neutral/uninterested in "corporeal matters". This version in Carl is apparently rather thoughtful. I can live with the conceit of creating Carl as a representation of The Guardian, though.

What annoys me is Georgiou, or at least, this new version that has apparently learned so much from living in the Prime Universe. SINCE WHEN? She's grated against the fluffy morality of her shipmates from the get go and not once hinted she believes "there is another way". It's like the inverse of what they did with Daenerys Targaryen. If they had spared a thought for the direction they were taking her, this may have proven to be more interesting. Let's say there had been actual character development revealing her evolution beyond quip-firing badass; her reintroduction to the MU would have proved to be a bigger test: Does she attempt to stay true to her new ideals or give into temptation to lead with an iron fist once more?

whisky

Boobie inspector
Another waste of time, most of the episode features mirror versions of the crew, and everyone missing space Hitler is just messed up.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I had the first half on in the background as I did other things, just can't care about the Mirror Universe at all. I agree that Georgiou's "redemption" story was done poorly as they forgot to include the part where she actually did anything redeeming. Okay, she helped Saru this week. But she also tortured Michael for months and had her stab Detmer to death? That doesn't seem like she's a better person now?

Then, in typical Discovery fashion, she has to make a five minute speech about how great Michael is before leaving. THEN the whole fucking crew have a drink talking about how much they love Georgiou...WHY? When did any of them ever have any happy moments with her?

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
"To Georgiou. Sure, she spend most of her list as a fascist dictator and as such was responsible for the deaths of untold number of innocent people, but for the past few months she stopped that and just was an asshole to everyone. She was the best person who ever lived."

whisky

Boobie inspector
I guess Saru didn't want to be in makeup this week, which is fine as the writers didn't want to make a coherent story either.

I guess we are meant to be worried about the crew, but we all know noone important will die, and Michael will come and save everyone so they can all have a good cry.

CaptainWacky

OH FUCK I need to watch Dsicovery on Crhstiasmas day CUNTSOFF

CaptainWacky

Oh look Michael's telling Book she doesn't turst in Saru's Captaincy what a great offiver she is. And of course she'll be proven right by the end of the episode.

CaptainWacky

Oh look Tilly needs YET ANOTHER motivational speech to just do her job. Remember how Worf had to tell Riker how special he is to get him to show up as First Officer.

CaptainWacky

Honestly it's actually amazing that I don't hate Tilly given how terrible they write her and I think the credit has to go to Mary Wiseman who is actuallly a good actress who deserves betteer (and she's pretty too FUCK THE BODySHAMERS.)

CaptainWacky

So...their appearances were altered to stay consistent with the holograms. Two humans and a Kelpian were changed to...one human, one Bajoran and one Trill. How is that more consistent? They must have really wanted an excuse to get doug Jones out of make-up (and maybe he deserves it.)

The bit where Michael was pretending to be a hologram was reasonably good.

CaptainWacky

Oh look Michael was right and Saru's a shit Captain who's been crippled by nostalgia. GUESS MICHAEL SHOULD BE CAPTAIN EH.

CaptainWacky

Does...dSicovery not even have security officerS? There's a boarding party with phasers and everyone's backing away scared like shit we don't have phasers!

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
I hope next season Space Hitler manages to come back and every episode is just Michael and Space Hitler talking and crying.

And then Anthony Rapp shows polaroids of Kevin Spacey.

CaptainWacky

It still pisses me off when i look at TrekBBS and someone always says "YOU JUST DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE IT'S NEW LOL" and no obviously that's not it. I want Star Trek to be good! But Discovery is blatantly blown away as a serious space opera thing by The Expanse and as a fun action romp by The Mandalorian because they both have MUCH BETTER WRITING. That's the fucking issue! The writing's bad! the cast are good! The special effects making TNG look like Babylon 5! But the writing is "lol a Kelpian caused the burn by having a tantrum like that old man in that TNG episode except that was great and this is bad."

Show me ANY scene in Dsicovery that's as good as this You PENGUINS.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
Well, there was that episode at the end of one episode where two cast members DISCOVERED a larger meaning in life, and they hugged and cried.

CaptainWacky

join me again on New Year's Day for more drunken live blogging of Discovery I guess

MODMAN

It still pisses me off when i look at TrekBBS and someone always says "YOU JUST DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE IT'S NEW LOL" and no obviously that's not it. I want Star Trek to be good! But Discovery is blatantly blown away as a serious space opera thing by The Expanse and as a fun action romp by The Mandalorian because they both have MUCH BETTER WRITING. That's the fucking issue! The writing's bad! the cast are good! The special effects making TNG look like Babylon 5! But the writing is "lol a Kelpian caused the burn by having a tantrum like that old man in that TNG episode except that was great and this is bad."

Show me ANY scene in Dsicovery that's as good as this You PENGUINS.

Well said.

But, it's TrekBBS. We've seen it all before.

But yeah ... The writing. That's your foundation. The FX & the acting talent amount to diddly squat if your foundation is weak. Like you, I want Trek to be good. I don't post on a fucking Star Trek BBS because I hate Star Trek, muppets.

That is a great scene, BTW. The answer is No. Discovery hasn't come close to the above scene. For all the crying and attempts at melodrama, it ain't got no soul.

Also, 'nother thing. The music. I know the other TNG-era shows got slammed for their background music. But, I find the music pretty overbearing in Discovery. SO HOPEFUL. SO MOVING. ARE YOU MOVED YET? I'd love to see an episode edited without music or - even better - with TNG-era music. :D

CaptainWacky

Absolutely none of the music from Discovery has ever stuck in my head.

MODMAN

This show is just plain awful. But what the hell do we do with the people who like it? We've got to let them know that Discovery is objectively bad. How do we prove it?

We have to save them, Wacky.

We have to save all of them.

< / Burnham >