Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'll add it to my list probably!

Maybe I'll watch PYSCHO PASS at last (yes I added it to my list!)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Psycho Pass is good, though, as with a lot of anime, there are some dumb elements to the story that you just have to overlook to fully enjoy it. The world that's setup is an interesting "what if?" scenario used to explore ideas, and is best taken on face value rather than trying to figure out how a societal structure like that could've come about.

CaptainWacky

I watched the first two episodes of Psycho Pass! OKAY, as I said I don't watch anime really at all and I watched this with the English audio. Did I do wrong? Will I be kicked out of anime club? I did wonder why the main character appeared to be a small child but I guess she's older than she looks. I liked it! I'll watch more.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I hate that whole snobbish "you HAVE to watch it in Japanese w/subtitles OR YOU SUCK" attitude. I will watch it any damn way I want.

Of course the reason for that is that there are some piss-poor dubbing jobs out there that mangle the stories and characters, but the same can be said for piss-poor subs that don't even read like English. SO THERE NYEHH.

CaptainWacky

I watch Japanese wrestling with Japanese commentary a lot. But there usually isn't a choice.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The subtitles are often written by the same people as the dubbed script, so no one can really get on their high horse about choosing one over the other. There is something to be said for hearing the original Japanese intonation and so on, but then you dedicate so much attention to reading that you miss the visuals, so I usually prefer the dub.

CaptainWacky

It annoys me how there's two whole minutes of opening credits in every episode, starting a minute or two into the episode. So I can skip them but it's a slight hassle!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
For me Netflix tends to skip the titles automatically, which annoys me because I quite like them. But I do still get to sit through five minutes of recap/repeated scene from previous episode, leaving about 10 minutes of new content.

CaptainWacky

Hmm, is there a way to automatically skip titles? That would be annoying if there was and I didn't know about it.

CaptainWacky

^Please review it!

Some good robots, cyborgs and artificial intellgiences in Psycho-Pass, eh, Fuddlemiff, HINT HINT.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I was thinking about that the other day, but not sure they'd quality for Top 100 status.

CaptainWacky

I liked the hunter guy who was actually an old man uploaded into a robot body.

CaptainWacky

Gah, I thought there was two seasons of Psycho-Pass on Netflix but there's only one and its Wikipedia page is so confusing that I can't tell if there's a second season (but apparently there is a movie?)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah, there's a bit of confusion with that. Iirc, on Netflix it lists two seasons, but those episodes all comprise the first season. But there is an actual second season of episodes that aren't on Netflix. Didn't know there was a movie too, though.

Yesterday I watched Left Behind, Appleseed Alpha and Babadook.

Left Behind was described by someone as "the mythical worst Nick Cage movie", but actually that's not very fair on him. He's fine in it. Boringly subdued, if anything. It's everything else about the movie that's God awful.

Appleseed Alpha is part of a series of Japanese CG movies. The first one was really good, the second was ok, and this one's pretty blah. Good action sequences, but not much story. It's not helped by being a completely unnecessary reboot, despite having the same cast, crew and characters as the first two. Not worth watching "out of interest" if you haven't seen the others, or even if you have.

Babadook. Excellent performances from everyone in it and a surprisingly mature story that isn't the simplistic haunted house story I was expecting. Makes me never want to have kids.

CaptainWacky

I kept seeing the word "Babadook" in places and not knowing what it meant.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
It's about a single mother whose ADHD type son drives her into a depression, which takes the form of a demonic creature in her mind.

CaptainWacky

Just like real life.

CaptainWacky

Primer - Okay I added this time travel film to my list over a year ago (maybe closer to two) and I didn't watch it right away because I heard how incredibly complicated it was and I wanted to watch it at a time when I could concentrate on it. Then I forgot it was on my list. So I finally watched it tonight and first of all I would suggest everyone watch it because it really is worth watching. I don't know if it's actually good as a movie though! It's incredibly low budget (it cost under $7,000) so if you bear that in mind it's a hugely impressive technical feat. I liked how the characters spoke like real scientists and how the dialogue wasn't dumbed down at all, even if that meant I didn't know what they were talking about sometimes. For the first half I was thinking "this isn't really hard to follow at all!" until it got completely crazy and I thought "wait what." I think the actual reading about it online after and looking at charts and stuff will definitely take up far more time than watching the movie (thought it's a movie that probably invites you to watch more than once.) Oh and I found it hard to hear what the characters are saying sometimes because they sometimes talk at the same time or the music drowns them out. I almost want to see a remake with a bigger budget and better sound mix that would make it easier to follow. But I'm sure the cult fandom would hate that. Anyway, watch this but don't expect to understand it.

Here is one of those charts: http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/primer-chart.jpg