Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Should I watch Skyfall? When it came out I remember everyone being "IT'S THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN" but I didn't give a fuck? I added it to my list.

Should I watch Enders Game? When it came I remember everyone being "THE AUTHOR HATES GAYS AND ALSO THE MOVIE ISN'T EVEN VERY GOOD" so meh? I added it to my list.

CaptainWacky

Not even Octopussy? Man I must have seen that movie...twice!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I never was a big Bond fan...I'm afraid to watch Skyfall because it might be as much of a letdown from the hype as Adele's theme song was.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I wasn't a fan of the song either, but in the context of the film it works well with the visuals.

Give it a go, there are worse ways to spend two hours.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I liked them both.

Skyfall is the best of Daniel Craig's Bond movies, and does a good job of balancing the new more naturalistic style with some proper action and a crazy madman who wants to destroy the WORULD (actually just Judi Dench, I think). It's also got a lot of humour.

Ender's Game was a lot better than I expected. I'd heard about Orson Scott Card being a homophobe and some say a bit of a paedo (the kids are all naked throughout the book and he talks about their pubes?), but it was pretty well done. The kid from Merlin is the kid in this. Harrison Ford is a cranky old man (imagine that!). There are explosions!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Rumour has it that Daniel Craig has spent two days filming a cameo on the new star wars, and might not even have his face on screen.

And I am going to say this is the first time Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford have worked together, because there was no cowboys V aliens, right?

CaptainWacky

Ender's Game - I could tell this was an adaptation of a book, because it felt rushed in places and put undue impotance on certain characters (the ridiculous short bully guy) who were probably loved in the books or something but didn't really work here. It was watchable? The acting was fine, I guess. Harrison Ford looked grumpy most of the time but did some acting at the end. Ben Kingsley being weird was fun, but took ages for him to arrive. Not really sure how the alien knew to telepathically talk to Ender and why it didn't try with anyone else before? Some of the characters were really thin (His brother is angry! His sister is nice! They have no other characteristics!) This was a movie which existed.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Good point about the bullying kid. I'm sure he was intimidating in the book, but in the movie he just seemed really naff and like a bad attempt at showing all the adversity Ender was up against (because being forced to become a child soldier isn't really very dramatic apparently?). The twist at the end was pretty good, though, eh? If a bit anti-climactic.

CaptainWacky

I think I was kind of spoiled on the twist anyway (since it's an old book.) But yeah the whole training him to be a more effective killing machine aspect was the best thing about the movie.

CaptainWacky

Melancholia - I couldn't find the thread where headvoid mentioned this. It's a movie that will make you think. I'm sure it's not for everyone as it's very long and depressing. It looks nice. Kirsten Dunst gives a strong performance. It's divided into two parts and "enjoyed" the first part more but I guess you're just supposed to be terrified in the second part so I don't know if that means anything. I would have liked to have seen some of the characters from the first part (John Hurt!) show up again in the second part but I understand that's not what the movie was about. So yeah I hate "recommending" or not recommending movies now and it's a movie where you'll probably hate all the characters but I don't regret watching it so maybe you won't either!

CaptainWacky

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn - Okay I've never played a Halo game. They don't seem like the kind of thing I'm particularly interested in (I like Nintendo games.) I watched this because I fancy Anna Popplewell. That's the reason. But it wasn't bad! For a web series (edited together into a movie on Netflix) it looked good with some nice special effects. Acting was decent (obviously I'm biased but I liked Popplewell.) ON THE DOWNSIDE the start (and the bit at the end) was completely incromphensible. I mean I'm sure it made sense if you've played the games (there was some evil AI or something?) but they could have at least had a voiceover or something explaining it to non-players as it seemed to have nothing to do with the rest of the movie. But the main plot was easy enough to follow. Also it suddenly seemed to turn into a video game as a guy who was obviously the main character in the games (he seemed like a dull ultimate killing machine guy) showed up and they shot at things. This part was still enjoyable but it had seemed like they were building to something with the character development in the first half and it kind of fell by the wayside. But anyway I thought this was decent and I'm sure if you've played the games you'd like it more.

Fuck them for killing Popplewell though.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I've only played the first Halo (which I liked very much), so I wasn't really up to speed with everything in forward unto dawn either. I watched it when it was first released in mini episodes (I'm not saying *that* word) and the BSG series was being released at the same time. There were a lot of similarities. Both have a kid as the main character and feel like they're trying to get new viewers, while satisfying existing ones. Adds up to an enjoyable little show without much depth.

CaptainWacky

I think Luke Pasqaskinsmustketeers was better than the Halo guy, but Halo wins the "having Anna Popplewell" war at least.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Luke Pasquale or whatever was a better lead, but crucially didn't look as nice.

I started watching Archer today. Lucille from Arrested Development is just Lucille from Arrested Development, but who cares. More Lucille good.

CaptainWacky

Yeah she's literally the same character but really good at it. Kitty from AD is in it too.

CaptainWacky

There was a Bojack Horseman Christmas special. It was pretty good (it was basically a whole episode of Horsin' Around.)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I started watching Bojack today (up to episode 4). Liked it a lot so far. The jokes are in a very similar vein to Archer or Family Guy, but all the anthropomorphic animals give it a fun little twist and it's nice hearing Alison Brie.

Fave line so far:

"There's nothing the least bit funny about stealing a meal from Neal McBeal the Navy Seal".

CaptainWacky

I thought you mentioned watching Bojack months ago. But maybe that was some beautiful dream I had.

CaptainWacky

Should I watch The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? The AV Club seems to think it's good. SOMEONE TELL ME.