What We Left Behind (DS9 documentary)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Oh and the HD-upgraded footage of the show is giving me a geek boner.

We'll never get an HD box set, but this was a nice teaser.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Which iterview subject comes across the most creepy/rapey?

Also can someone just put the HD footage on youtube so I can steal watch it lol.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Definitely Alaimo. He's one of those insane actors who craves compliments. He was an unhappy diva for the first few years because the directors didn't coddle him with praise. Also he kept pushing for a Kira/Dukat affair, partly because he wanted Nana. She was having none of it, then or now. She even got into it with Ira on camera when he recalled teasing her with the script for "Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night". At first he teased that it might be the Kira/Dukat affair script, but then he showed it to her at the first reading and it turned out to be her mother instead. To this day, Nana thought that they had written the Kira/Dukat script and then changed it after she initially freaked. Turns out they never wrote it and he was having some fun with her. Nice to find out 20 years later.

There are a few scenes that like that, where 2 people have conflicting recollections about some event, and they can't resolve which version is more true.

Also (spoiler):
There is some lounge singing in tuxedos at the beginning and end of the film, but it's not James Darren or Avery Brooks doing the singing.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
There's not a lot of structure to the film, and Ira takes detours every once in a while, stepping outside the documentary to talk about making the documentary. It's like he added the commentary track into the film rather than separating it on its own audio track.

If you've watched all the bonus clips on all the DVDs, then maybe you won't learn a lot of new info here. But while it gets goofy at times and goes off track, it's still great to see everyone again, mostly talking fondly about it.

It's not perfect but it still made me SQUEEE and all the feels.

Last edited:

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I want to hear more about Cirroc Lofton’s boner. I assume it involves those awful skin tight clothes he always wore.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Penny Johnson told a story about her first day of filming, in a scene with young teeanged Cirroc, who was still being dressed in onesies that zipped up the back. As she walked on set and looked across the room, there was Cirroc sporting a big boner. But afafter a few minutes, he removed a paper towel tube from his pants-- it was a joke and an ice breaker. That's how Penny decided to take it, anyway. I'm wondering how this "joke" would have played if it were tried today.

Around this time, TV Guide wrote an article about the best/worst dressed TV characters, and Jake was listed as a Worst because of his onesies. Cirroc took the article to the costume designer, and they started dressing him in separates from that point on.

CaptainWacky

The reason I asked about any perviness is because I've been reading some Memory Alpha stuff while watching Voyager and Robert Picardo is coming across as a bit pervy. Like there was one episode he directed (the one where Harry falls in love with a hologram) where Picardo kept talking in interviews about how hot the guest actress was and how much enjoyed directing her and the other bikini girls in the scenes in Neelix's resort. But like with the "joke" you mention above this could just sound worse today than it actually was.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I would believe Picardo is a little bit of a letch. They wrote it into Zimmerman's character when he played him. Also the Doctor was perving after Leeta when he was on DS9 inadvertently exposing that Julian was genetically enhanced. The writers love to put in little parallels like that.

CaptainWacky

And he had sex with the girl gremlin in Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I'm sure it was -- it seemed like Penny wasn't telling the story very well and leaving out details that would make it seem less eepy-cray.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I finally watched it. I loved it.

Was it a bit self-indulgent at times? Sure. Did it miss out a bunch of stuff I wanted to see? Sure. Do I care?

No.

It was two hours spending time with the crew again. I have to watch the whole series through again now.

(Nana and Nicole are still gorgeous)

CaptainWacky

I haven't seen it (I'm bad at watching things that aren't just regular tv shows), but I think both reasons would be valid. If Alaimo is as skeevey as you all think then obviously she wouldn't want to do those type of scenes with him. But also it would have destroyed Kira's character to have her hook up with space Hitler.

CaptainWacky

Kira and Garak could have been an interesting couple (threesomes with Julian!)