A gay marriage proposal...

The Question

Eternal
Sure, but then you're talking about reproduction not sexuality.

Sexuality is only rewarding as a chemical incentive for reproduction. It's not the human body's on-board entertainment.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Sure, but then you're talking about reproduction not sexuality.
But if you need people to reproduce to continue the species and it is impossible for a homosexual union to produce offspring, it is pretty much a textbook definition of a disorder.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
You fail. If I were you, I'd put a 12 gauge loaded with buck in my mouth because you'd likely fuck up sitting in your car in the garage with the engine running. Elaborate, failed pedophile. Or admit defeat.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
But if you need people to reproduce to continue the species and it is impossible for a homosexual union to produce offspring, it is pretty much a textbook definition of a disorder.

One does not preclude the other, given the statistics. Less than 2% of the general population would be "homosexual", so if they wanted to reproduce (which many do) they create surrogates, which are more than happy to fulfill that function. Reproduction in the face of that scenario is simply not an issue, or the reason why "marriage" should be between one man and one woman.

Why would same sex couples deserve any less rights than heterosexual couples? They both work, do chores, pay the bills, share laughter and tears, pay taxes and contribute to the economy in exactly the same manner as heterosexual couples...just doesn't make sense why they should be denied the same rights given any person.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm not arguing that. I've given up. I'm suggesting that the money from marriage licenses go toward curing homosexuality. They spend cigarette tax money on smoker education. They spend hunting license money on conservation. They spend gasoline tax money on road maintenance. If they found a way to cure homosexuality, the whole gay marriage question would be moot.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
So you're going to 'cure' homosexuality $10-$115 at a time? Presuming you can earmark the entire fee nationwide that is.

I guess you'd better hope there are more gay people looking to get hitched than there are smokers, hunters and drivers combined. I'm pretty sure long-term applied clinical psychology ain't cheap.

Good thing your weak-ass troll is just a springboard Jacks using to suck up and appear progressive and reasonable.

So much for rope shooting and neck fucking eh 'Volpone'?

Fucking transparent as always.

jack

I'm not arguing that. I've given up. I'm suggesting that the money from marriage licenses go toward curing homosexuality. They spend cigarette tax money on smoker education. They spend hunting license money on conservation. They spend gasoline tax money on road maintenance. If they found a way to cure homosexuality, the whole gay marriage question would be moot.

I'm curious about your reference to that concept. How is being gay something that needs to be cured?

The Question

Eternal
Why would same sex couples deserve any less rights than heterosexual couples?

They never had any fewer rights. Homosexual men could marry women the same as heterosexual men could. Homosexual women could marry men the same way heterosexual women could. Homosexuals wanted a new thing that heterosexuals didn't have before, either. Next, you'll demand the "right" to marry little boys, which is something nobody has now -- but you'll claim it's the same as marriage and demand that this new thing that only 1% of the population wants is given legal endorsement, just the same way the gays did.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm curious about your reference to that concept. How is being gay something that needs to be cured?
And the merry-go-round comes back 'round. For brevity, I'll skip the intervening steps:

1) To continue a mammal species like humans, you need offspring, created by sexual reproduction.
2) A same-sex couple cannot produce offspring through their sexual reproduction.
3) Therefore, homosexuality is an abnormal deviation.

I mean, maybe it isn't hurting anything, but the cliched crazy guy who thinks he's Napoleon isn't hurting anything either, is he? We still try to cure him, don't we? Heck, he's probably much happier being a powerful 19th century French dictator and military genius then he is being Fred, the janitor.

As to 'Gear's question of how $10-115 can make a difference, apparently he doesn't understand how pooling money works. The March of Dimes was started to find a cure for polio, relying on $.10 contributions. It found a cure for polio and moved on to muscular dystrophy. A quick glance at Google indicates the Labor Day telethon for the March of Dimes raised $61.5 million in 2012. A little under 2.2 million people got married in 2014 (again, according to a quick look at Google). So if we take your low number of $10 and anything above that can go to administrative costs, you're looking at $22 million dollars a year--just from fees for marriage licenses--going towards curing homosexuality. That's on top of any money religious or social conservative groups might contribute. Heck, if they enacted this policy, I'll go on record here and say I'll chip in $100 myself.

jack

I think I asked this already, but how do you cure homosexuality? It isn't an illness, it's hardwiring in the brain. You don't make someone gay, it's determined in the womb. Boys who grow up to be gay men have always been gay since they remember. They're not trained or indoctrinated into it and "become" gay. They are gay.

Again, say you have all that money to "cure" it. What's the program supposed to be?

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
As to 'Gear's question of how $10-115 can make a difference, apparently he doesn't understand how pooling money works. The March of Dimes was started to find a cure for polio, relying on $.10 contributions. It found a cure for polio and moved on to muscular dystrophy. A quick glance at Google indicates the Labor Day telethon for the March of Dimes raised $61.5 million in 2012. A little under 2.2 million people got married in 2014 (again, according to a quick look at Google). So if we take your low number of $10 and anything above that can go to administrative costs, you're looking at $22 million dollars a year--just from fees for marriage licenses--going towards curing homosexuality. That's on top of any money religious or social conservative groups might contribute. Heck, if they enacted this policy, I'll go on record here and say I'll chip in $100 myself.

LOL

The Question

Eternal
I think I asked this already, but how do you cure homosexuality? It isn't an illness, it's hardwiring in the brain.

So are body dysmorphism disorders and somatic disorders. Strictly speaking, you're probably right in that the condition can't be cured -- but like body dysmorphism disorders and somatic disorders, it can be treated, and most likely in the same way, via pharmaceutical treatment.

jack

Which shows how completely ignorant you are. It's not an illness and it can't be treated because it isn't a medical condition.

Your response to this question Volpone? How would you "cure" homosexuality?

The Question

Eternal
Jack said:
It's not an illness and it can't be treated because it isn't a medical condition.

Look, dumbass, you can't have it both ways. You yourself said it's down to the wiring of the brain. It's an aberrant condition caused by how the brain is wired; that makes it a neuropsychiatric disorder. It can be treated.

jack

whew. I actually feel sorry for you.

Ancalagon

I'm not wearing any panties!!
A pretty substantial chunk of the American public is opposed to gay marriage. Oh, sure you can trot out polls, but when the rubber meets the road and it comes down to voting, the majority of people vote to ban gay marriage.

False.

Since public opinion has shifted Marriage Equality has a perfect record. Three for three when on the ballot, including in a state with a Republican Governor and Senator (and other Senator is an Independent).

We try to cure other mental disorders.

Homosexuality isn't a mental disorder and hasn't been considered one (by sane non-fundies at least) for over 40 years. DSM-II, seventh printing.

And just a general commentary that I hope you folks are playing the fool when it comes to genes. Either that you must have gone to one of those schools that taught genesis instead of biology. :lol:

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
You might as well ask "how do you banana?" Or "what color is 3?" I don't know how you cure it. If I did, I'd cure it and have Bill Gates money. Let me turn it around? How do you cure Muscular Dystrophy? How do you cure Alzheimers?

But taking your claim that homosexuality is just something you're born with, a birth defect like mental retardation or being born with deformities, maybe they could figure out a way to test for it instead. That way parents would have the option of getting an abortion. If we can't find a cure because it is in the DNA, then we should be able to find a way to identify it. :)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
And for the record, "40 years ago, scientists thought..." is perhaps the laziest, weakest, most anti-intellectual argument I've ever heard. 40 years ago we hadn't even considered mapping the human genome. 40 years ago we had primitive, crude computers by today's standards. 40 years ago we hadn't even settled on a single theory of what happened to the dinosaurs. 40 years ago we thought we had to stop Climate Change or be plunged into a new Ice Age. 40 years ago we didn't know anything about AIDS.

If past generations had said "well shit, over a generation ago we didn't understand..." we'd still think the Earth was flat and the sun revolved around the Earth. "If God had meant for man to fly, he'd have given us wings." "40 years ago." :bailey: