Anticipation Thread for BDM's 2011 Awards Season Fashion Threads

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Did Piers still come off as a cunt?

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
crap I had to work and missed that. :rwmad:
I like Ricky G.
I know, I know - he sounds like he was a right prat@ GGs.... but I didnt see it myself so my illusions remain intact

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
so far, Catherine Zeta Jones looks like the stand out beauty, But as BDM has forsaken us and not given his REPORT, who knows????

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Ricky came off as kind of adorable on Piers Morgan's show last night.
I only saw the highlights dealing with the Golden Globes, and in those he seemed like kind of a douche. I can see believing in your material, but hosting the Golden Globes isn't a battlefront where one has to "be true to himself as an artist" -- please. Put on tux, keep the show running, make ha-ha's about facelifts, lather, rinse, repeat.

He basically trolled the HFPA. Which is a choice, and on some level, yay for him, ooo how edgy. But it seems like a huge waste of time and energy for very little reward, other than his own smug self-satisfaction.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
He doesn't think any of the actors were upset with any of his jokes.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
He doesn't think any of the actors were upset with any of his jokes.
Which is what makes him kind of self-centered...he doesn't think they were...is he guessing, or did he talk to any of them? And how much does he even care if he did upset them?

Plus that's sort of changing his story. Either he knew he was going to be inappropriate and didn't care, or he didn't think he was inappropriate. He can't have it both ways. He's being kind of an asshole about it.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I'm not taking up for him or anything, cuz I didn't watch the GGs but I don't know what the big deal really is. Piers played clips of the supposedly most offensive things he did and they didn't seem that bad. Then they showed clips of actors and actresses saying Ricky was brilliant and hilarious and naughty. AND STUFF.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I don't think it's a big deal either, but my problem with his act isn't that the jokes were offensive -- it's that they weren't that funny. Every late night host has already made these observations a dozen times, and his lazy, offbeat "I'm a rebel doesn't it sound like I'm off the prompter" delivery just made them sound like petty insults instead of punchlines. He just didn't do his job very well, but because he was "edgy" we're supposed to cheer him like it was performance art or something.

Does he really have such an ax to grind with Tim Allen? What did he expose about him? That was just a cheap shot. A professional host knows the difference between a global awards show audience and the Friar's Club. And he doesn't seem to think that was his job, and that the HFPA knew it and hired him anyway. Somehow I doubt that. Now every asshole is going to come out of the woodwork as host a special event show in order to ruin it, because they want that "Gervais buzz" the next day. And nothing will ever be enjoyable for its own sake ever again. All because of this asshole who didn't think things through. AND HE SUCKS, TOO.

The Daniel Radcliffe ep of Extras was brilliant, though.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OH, so really it's just that he wasn't funny. THAT MAKES SENSE. It's hard to tell how it went from just seeing a couple clips. The only joke I thought was really funny was when he called Bruce Willis Ashton Kutcher's dad.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Piers said that until the Golden Globes that he was the most hated Brit in America. Does he know he's hated in the UK too?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
He knows. Alan Sugar spends all his time trolling Piers on Twitter.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah. Well, Tony Blair probably has him beat, but he's a close second. He used to be in charge of one of our tabloid newspapers, which basically means everyone's allowed to throw rotten vegetables at you in the street.