Better Call Saul

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished the pilot. It was outstanding. All fears officially allayed. It's going to be awesome.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
The cinematography was really good.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
First two eps were really fucking good.

I was hoping there might be a little less graphic violence on this show than there was on BB (the leg-breaking was a bit much, I had to cover my ears and go LAALALALALALA for about a minute), but Bob Odenkirk is really bringing it.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I've literally just finished Breaking Bad (well not literally, a few days ago) and am actually looking forward to this.

I'm pleased it's a prequel as the "It's over" scene in the basement was really good and I'm glad it was not carried on.

They say a good personality judgement is when Walter White became a monster to you in the BB series line. I lost him after season 5. My wife was confused that I called him a monster and questioned WHAT EXACTLY DID HE DO WRONG? I'm moving out today.

CaptainWacky

I can see why they had two episodes in the first week, as the first episode on its own would have been a bit underwhelming and confusing but the second made it more clear what was going on and where the series is going.

I can't remember exactly everything that happened in Breaking Bad and when it happened but having Jesse kill the nice meth cook guy (Gil?) seemed like a line crossing moment.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Walt poisoning Brock in an attempt to get jesse to turn against Gus is probably the moment when he becomes truly irredeemable.

As For Better Call Saul

"You are the worst lawyer, the worst lawyer ever!"

"Hey, I talked you down from a death sentence to six months' probation!"

"I'm the best lawyer ever."

It's great.

CaptainWacky

When did he let Krysten Ritter choke to death on vomit, end of season two? That was pretty bad.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I think it was the vomit choking that did it for me.

Um, I found the first BCS a little plodding and dry, but the second episode was completely different. It was exactly what I'd been hoping for and fingers crossed it'll continue to be as clever and entertaining. There's not much point comparing it to BB as they're very different in tone IMO, but I reckon I could end up liking this show more than the original. The level of humour really balances out the grim places these people are in their lives, so you don't feel completely deflated by the time it finishes.

CaptainWacky

I hope Tuco doesn't show up too many times. The last scene of the first episode was just "hey, remember this guy!" That's fine for a one-off and he's an entertaining character, but I hope they don't lean on him too often.

CaptainWacky

"Tell me you didn't use the sex robot voice."

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Another good one. I like how on the surface, the show looks like it's just "the kooky case of the week" but it ends up being part of a longer story arc at the same time.

And now I really hate Bob Odenkirk because he's going to steal the Emmy from Jon Hamm on Jon's last attempt. (Unless they submit the show as a comedy, it could go either way). He's good.

CaptainWacky

Is it a comedy anyway? It's funny but a lot of dramas are!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I'd consider it a drama that's funny, but a lot of shows are like that today, and some of them submit themselves as comedies because the drama category is too crowded as it is. Shameless (US), Orange Is The New Black, and other shows have been competing as comedies -- it goes all the way back to Ally McBeal.

Amazingly, Boston Legal, probably the funniest drama ever, kept competing as a drama (then again, James Spader and William Shatner were winning Emmys so why change).

CaptainWacky

I thought he had cancer and he was hyper-paranoid about any electical equipment making it worse or something.