Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cassie - Sci Fi Reading list please

Current reading status:
Someone say "Kim Stanley Robinson" around me, so I ordered a bunch of books: The Wild Shore, The Gold Coast, Pacific Edge, The Years of Rice and Salt, and 2312. I guess I'll read those.

(I've read TWS, which is a serviceable post-nuclear apocalypse book that didn't have a lot of new ideas. Currently reading The Gold Coast, which is a military-industrial complex themed dystopia. Pacific Edge is going to be one long annoying ~~humanity is one with the land~~ that KSR loves so much.)

I'd heard heard some good things about Gene Wolfe recently, so I decided to read some stuff of his, only all the online summaries didn't really make it clear what was sci-fi and what wasn't, so now I'm stuck reading some book about some old dude remembering his past in North Dakota or whatever and maybe he's the Devil or something?

I dunno.

Since Foundatin's Edge isn't on Kindle I'm now reading a wrestler's autobiography (IT GOT GOOD REVIEWS OKAY) and I also got Pushing Ice so I probably won't read the other Foundation books for a while but I will read them eventually okay sorry Cassie.

Won't your kindle let you read books that I could send to you? Or are they all proprietary and the books have to be got through them?

Current reading status:
Someone say "Kim Stanley Robinson" around me, so I ordered a bunch of books: The Wild Shore, The Gold Coast, Pacific Edge, The Years of Rice and Salt, and 2312. I guess I'll read those.

(I've read TWS, which is a serviceable post-nuclear apocalypse book that didn't have a lot of new ideas. Currently reading The Gold Coast, which is a military-industrial complex themed dystopia. Pacific Edge is going to be one long annoying ~~humanity is one with the land~~ that KSR loves so much.)

Sorry about that. Looking forward to your [whether i should buy it] thoughts on 2312. I'm intrigued by its connection to the Mars trilogy but reviews when it came out were kinda blah.

Won't your kindle let you read books that I could send to you? Or are they all proprietary and the books have to be got through them?

I think they need to be in Kindle format (but they can be converted I'm sure?) but I'll probably by the paperbacks anyway so I can have them sitting together and stroke them sometimes.

WELL, if you're ever interested in any of my ebooks, I just found out that Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/ will IN FACT convert them into the proper format to be read on a Kindle. I use Calibre and it's actually really nice, because you have all your books on your computer, you can fix the metadata if you need to (like covers and STUFF), and if you just want to search through one of your books you can open them on Calibre and search for whatever you're looking for. The only downside to Calibre is that it wants to update EVERY TIME I OPEN IT :rwmad:

Here is a good article on the subject, with a screenshot of what Calibre looks like when you have it open http://www.techhive.com/article/246323/how_to_convert_an_ebook_to_the_amazon_kindle_format.html

I just read The Godwhale and Half Past Human by TJ Bass this summer for the first time ever. Can't understand how I missed them before. Well, better late than never.

If you like terrifying (and corny) Bad Future sci-fi written by biologists, I can recommend Peter Watts.

His prose is... tolerable, but he has some really neat ideas about aliens and minds and stuff.

I finished Foundation and Earth. It was pretty good, I think. Someday I will have to read his robot books, I didn't know they were set in the same universe.

ALSO

I don't think Isaac Asimov liked big butts.

I'm about halfway through Second Foundation. Still enjoying it, but if all the books have a similar tone I might take a break after this one and read someone else.

I'm enjoying the Foundation series (on the second book now.) I wish I had read every science fiction novel (well every good one) in publication order so that I knew just who came up with each concept and who influenced who. Foundation has a whole planet that's one big city that serves as the capital of a galactic empire, so I'm fairly sure Lucas ripped that off. The psychohistory stuff and the Seldon Plan reminds me quite a bit of the Golden Plan and all the prescience stuff in Dune (wouldn't call Dune a rip-off though as it has its own identity.)

Tell me something that Lucas HASN'T ripped-off, you dumbfuck. Whatever would you expect? He is a fucking JEW! They excel at such, but should you rip off ANYTHING from them, you had better have a fantastic lawyer, a NON-JEW lawyer, but of course. You should know by now that JEWS run not only your entertainment industry, but your entire fucking COUNTRY.

WELL, if you're ever interested in any of my ebooks, I just found out that Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/ will IN FACT convert them into the proper format to be read on a Kindle. I use Calibre and it's actually really nice, because you have all your books on your computer, you can fix the metadata if you need to (like covers and STUFF), and if you just want to search through one of your books you can open them on Calibre and search for whatever you're looking for. The only downside to Calibre is that it wants to update EVERY TIME I OPEN IT :rwmad:

Here is a good article on the subject, with a screenshot of what Calibre looks like when you have it open http://www.techhive.com/article/246323/how_to_convert_an_ebook_to_the_amazon_kindle_format.html

I strip EVERYTHING from books I purchase from Kindle. Fuck them. No Jew sticks any DRM into anything I OWN and expects me to allow said DRM to remain. NOTHING I own has any DRM in it anymore. Fuck you and your JEWS. I even TOLD Amazon I strip their shit out. They told me 'but you can't do that'. I told them to take it up with my government who says I can, as long as I do not distribute the stripped copy.

HI, of course I've only read Dune a million times, and haven't ever talked about it with anyone, so I was completely unaware of the references to Rome.

Hmmm, I have never read 'Dune', but I surely want to. I am curious to see what the fuss is all about.

Kindle cannot read anything OTHER than AZW files, you dumbass. That's how Amazon keeps control of books YOU FUCKING PAID FOR. I don't have this problem. Fuck them.