Cassie - Sci Fi Reading list please

SaintLucifer

beer, I want beer
Okay, I just started Foundation's Edge. I was debating whether to go past the original trilogy, and decided I'd read a few pages. FINALLY A WOMAN CHARACTER WHO ISN'T A DINGBAT!! It's pretty good so far, I've only read a few pages. It's kind of more of the same as the first three, only I can tell some years have passed between the writing of Second Foundation and Foundation's Edge because - like I said the woman character isn't a dingbat!

ALL women are DINGBATS, you stupid shit. That's why they are always portrayed as such in so many novels.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
HI LUCI!!!

SaintLucifer

beer, I want beer
HI LUCI!!!

Why, hello! Fancy seeing you here. Alas, I am perma-banned from Troll Valhalla. That's what I get for driving MURDY to tears. It is what it is. Now. Troll Kingdom has the privilege of my presence. Is this not wonderful news??? Surely all here shall take delight in learning this news, yes? I shall revive this dump, as is my wont.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I finished Foundation and Earth. It was pretty good, I think. Someday I will have to read his robot books, I didn't know they were set in the same universe.

ALSO

I don't think Isaac Asimov liked big butts.

I think he only retconned them to be in the same universe with the Foundation prequels. The robot books are set thousands of years earlier. They're very good!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Did you read Foundation and Earth? He spent lots of time talking about Bliss's big butt and how un-attracted the main character found her shape, lol. The main character could hardly think of her without mentioning her thick butt.

CaptainWacky

And the fourth law of robotics was "kill fat women."

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
YES, he didn't trust her big butt, no matter how many times she told him not to lie.

ALSO, I decided to read Good Omens again. It's been a few years since I read it, and I'd forgotten how fun it is.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Just finished Second Foundation and loved it. Arcadia was by far the most interesting character in the series. A lot of the others were only means to an end and didn't really feature for long enough for us to get much of an individual impression of them. And I thought the ending was really good. I did yell "oh, come on!" after about the fifth false reveal, but I didn't mind since it meant I was right about the THING.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I think you'll like Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth. Foundation and Earth has a lot more character development than all the previous books.

DON'T FORGET, I sent you Good Omens. It's really good, tooooo

CaptainWacky

I liked the part where they started making fun of the false reveals. Like they were all sitting around in a circle and one of them dramatically said "the Second Foundation...DOESN'T EXIST!" Then they all started laughing. It was something like that anyway.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I finished up Good Omens today. Now I can't decide if I want to read Cloud Atlas or The Diamond Age next. DECISIONS DECISIONS.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I'm reading Rendezvous with Rama. Very readable so far!

CaptainWacky

I liked it!

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
Just finished DNA's The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul - not sure how I never read it, but I didnt. Life is good when you can play catch up with books you missed before.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
A few days ago I actually went back to your posts where you photographed your book shelves and I added them to my reading list (not all of them, don't worry, only the ones I was pretty sure I would like).

CaptainWacky

I'm still reading Pushing Ice because it's really quite long.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
the library is having their annual book sale right now. I took a garbage bag full of books to them last week and I DONT WANT MORE!

If I go to take a quick look around, will I be able to resist picking up a sci fi tome or two....? ...... TO BE CONTINUED