Cassie - Sci Fi Reading list please

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I've been reading the collected stories of Arthur C Clarke. Some really good stuff, including short stories that went on to be expanded for novels such as Childhood's End and 2001. But man, does he like a depressing ending. I swear pretty much every story ends with something like "and then he fell asleep... And of course, never woke up again" or "mankind's realisation dawned too late, for his dying shrieks were drowned out beneath the sound of writhing tentacles".

I'm going to start on Chris Hadfield's book to cheer myself up!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
"Here's a short mention of a Simpsons episode followed by 20 pages about the mathematics of baseball!" - that book I'm reading.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I read Alistair Reynolds as they are always available in the library. (redemption Space & redemption Ark)

Complete waste of time.

I have enjoyed Peter Hamilton, who is perhaps the other current mass Sci Fi writer / Space Opera that is worth reading. Avoid Alistair Reynolds.

I am going to return to Kurt Vonnegut next (Sirans of Titan) as he is much higher quality.

CaptainWacky

Has anyone read The Way of Kings series by Brandon Sanderson? YEAH IT'S AN AMAZON DAILY DEAL QUESTION AGAIN.

CaptainWacky

Just bought it anyway...will probably read it in a year or something (I'm planning a big Amazon order in a couple of days which will include actual paper books)...oh I have a really long Peter F Hamilton book I never finished too. I KNOW YOU ALL CARE ABOUT MY READING HABITS.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I do! FYI I'm still reading Arthur C Clarke's short stories. I read one the other day that talked about the internet becoming sentient and taking over the world's infrastructure, published in 1964. They do pretty much always have depressing twist endings, though, so they become oddly predictable, as you find yourself trying to guess the inevitable dramatic reveal in the final line.

I'm curious if Chajusong's read any of the KSR books he bought a while ago? I've been reading The Martians off and on and I'm enjoying it more than I expected. The stuff about the Antarctic training's quite interesting.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Have any of you read Flatland? It's FREE on the internet.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah. Carl Sagan recommended it! Fun little book that makes you think.

CaptainWacky

I GUESS I HAVE TO READ THAT THEN.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
The Book of the New Sun is pretty good so far. It's mysterious enough that it makes it fun to read but isn't a blank wall and also the characters are really well-written.

CaptainWacky

Currently reading Marvel Comics: The Untold story which is really good if you want the history of Marvel comics (BUT NOT IF YOU DON'T.) Will be reading other stuff as well soon...

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I finally finished Arthur C Clarke's stories, and felt like some light reading, so I've started a non fiction book about executioners. Grim but interesting reading.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
I read Alistair Reynolds as they are always available in the library. (redemption Space & redemption Ark)

Complete waste of time.

I have enjoyed Peter Hamilton, who is perhaps the other current mass Sci Fi writer / Space Opera that is worth reading. Avoid Alistair Reynolds.

I am going to return to Kurt Vonnegut next (Sirans of Titan) as he is much higher quality.

I'm curious to know what you didn't like about Reynolds. I've been reading him for a bit and, while I've lasted longer than you, I've got issues with him myself that make me think that the next book of his I read (Absolution Gap) will be the last.

As for Vonnegut, have you read Cat's Cradle yet?

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
The only two Vonneguts I haven't read yet are Hocus Pocus & Timequake --as well as most of the short story collections. My top five of his novels:

Cat's Cradle
Deadeye Dick
Bluebeard
Breakfast of Champions
Sirens of Titan

CaptainWacky

No Slaughterhouse Five!?

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Archibald - I guess my problem with Alistair Reynolds is this:

1. He tries to hard to create a world, a universe within which he is the god. It's almost like he is trying to be Tolkien (or more likely Banks and the Culture) It seems a little forced. I wish he would get on with the narrative and let the world become, rather than explain how it is so vast and complex.
2. His obsession with science for science's sake. Ok, I get it, you have read a lot of Physics but please don't show off. I've read various sections which were just physics wank fests and did not move the narrative on, or actually were relevant to the storyline.
3. His heroes are clunky. The Men are troubled and the women are "spunky" or waiting for something. The women in particular are falsely strong. There is no need to make them pretend men, just make them strong women if you must. Ursula Le Guin has nothing to worry about. Now there was someone who could write easily from both sexes POV.
4. I end up not caring. This is surely the cardinal sin, especially as we have a lot of hard space to get through. Lots die in his books and I really struggle to give a shit.

Reading that back it sounds a little harsh, but maybe it's the hardness of his Space Opera that doesn't do it for me. Some like the steel, brittle nature - but if I want that I read Cyberpunk or maybe Greg Bear. I dunno, some Poul Anderson or I would even reread some Banks.

On Vonnegut - I have only read Slaughterhouse and Breakfast of Champions - Slaughterhouse blew me away and I can't wait for Sirens. Cats Cradle is on the list now. (thanks for recommend)

CaptainWacky

I've liked the Reynolds books I've read, to be honest (though I think yeah I probably like Peter F. Hamilton more), but your complaints are probably pretty valid. But the one with the psycho dolphin was good, surely you have to give him that!

CaptainWacky

But if you hate it I'll feel bad about wasting your valuable time. :(