Cassie - Sci Fi Reading list please

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Has anyone mentioned Iain M. Banks in this thread? TOO LAZY TO LOOK BACK OVER IT. I haven't read any of his novels yet, but there are lots of people who swear they are awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Banks

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I read one or two. They were alright.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Oh yeah! I read a couple of his Revelation Space novels a few years ago. I liked them a lot. I've been meaning to find some more to read.

CaptainWacky

Should I read them? I've seen his name come up in Amazon recommendations. Recommend the specific books I should read.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Start with Revelation Space and Chasm City.

CaptainWacky

SORRY FOR BIENG SO DEMANDING

MORE RECOMMENDATIONS NOW

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Iain Banks is good, I would start with Player of Games. He also writes non Sci Fi and The Wasp Factory or my favourite "The Bridge" are well worth seeking out.

Read absolultely loads since I last looked at this thread.

Recents are:

The Space Merchants - Pohl and Kornbluth
Dystopian future based on advertising taking over the world. Very bleak, but compelling story. Maybe more relevant to me due to my day job.

The Earthsea Quartet - Ursula Le Guin
Brilliant fantasy that had me gripped. I tend to get cynical about too much wizardy stuff, but loved the storyline and the vastness of the landscape. Feminine heroes involved as ever, but this did not dominate (main character is male)

Yiddish Policemans Union - Michael Chabon
Again, very dark "alternate history" detective story, no "science" really - but well written. Jewish state is formed in Alaska rather than Israel and interesting idea.

Grass - Sheri Tepper
Good novel, based on a planet with it's own rules and an intriguing storyline. The climax was a bit rushed, but still good.

Demolished Man - Alfred Bester
Well worth reading, the climax is genuinely scary and I believe the origin of a recent Doctor Who storyline. An absolute classic with telepathy and complex ideas woven into a pacy thriller.

Man Plus - Frederick Pohl
I am really beginning to like Pohl as an author. Quite gritty, espionage thriller based on colonising planets. Dark and dystopian in common with a lot of his work.

More than Human - Theodore Sturgeon
Very complex idea based on humankind "merging" to evolve. I loved it, but is is very different to a space opera romp such as Asimov Foundation.

The Stars my destination - Alfred Bester
Read it! Very dark like Demolished Man - not quite as famous as that book, but some of the ideas are incredible "Jaunting" and many matrix style inventive ideas developed nearly 50 years before that film.

The City and the Stars - Arthur C Clarke
I have yet to find something I didn't enjoy. Set in the extreme future, the plot doesn't get caught up in the technology like Cyberpunk can - it is a human story in the end.

Emphyrio - Jack Vance
Part fantasy, part Sci-fi this is an interesting mix of people living in a medieval existence alongside an advanced society. I enjoyed the story, but would choose an Alfred Bester first.

The Lathe of Heaven - Ursual Le Guin
Just scary and brilliant. George Orr has the ability to alter reality with his dreams. A sleep researcher discovers this and attempts to use it to his advantage. Complex and very interesting plot that becomes fantastical, but still human. I absolutely loved this book.

Just started reading Game of Thrones Book 1 and 2 now.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I'm fixing to start Gateway by Pohl for a book club. Can't wait. :)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Can't wait to read what you have to say about A Game of Thrones.

CaptainWacky

I read Revelation Space and Chasm City by the way, Cassie. Good stuff. Chasm City had a pretty epic scope and it all came together just about perfectly. Reading the next book in the Revelation series now. Only problem is that the exposition goes on a bit and seems to repeat itself at times.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
damn Cassie, we didnt have our Summer Reading club this year :(

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I haven't read a thing all summer!

CaptainWacky

READ THINGS :rwmad:

Tisiphone

READ THIS

Tisiphone

The new book club I've joined has some good choices, so I'll be sharing those with ya. CUZ I WANT TO

Tisiphone

Here's what we're voting on for next time:

AC Clark ~~ Rendezvous with Rama (my #2 choice)

Alfred Bester ~~ The Stars my Destination

Roger Zelazny ~~ Lord of Light

Philip K. Dick ~~ The Three Stigmata of Palmer Elderitch (my #1 choice)

Jules Verne ~~ Journey to the Center of the Earth

Neil Stephenson ~~ Snow Crash

CaptainWacky

I've read Rendezvous with Rama (was good) and Lord of Light (I think it was good but I didn't really get it.)

I need to read more Philip K. Dick NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT.