Cassie - Sci Fi Reading list please

Just ordered The Third Policeman solely because it was featured in an episode of Lost (and it's supposed to be good.) Threw in The Demolished Man too.

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldtritch. Brilliant, but like one of the guys at the discussion said, we could talk hours about whether or not any of it was real.

Just started reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It's decent so far, but I just started reading it.

You should try The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Not "pure" sci-fi, more dystopian future with some definite sci-fi elements.

I enjoyed the Ender's series, well I didn't read all of them, but I liked the ones I read.

there are some books in this thread I meant to read and still haven't yet...
maybe I should stock up before the next snow storm hits.

Got distracted by Mr Martin and his GORE DEATH & MEDIEVAL SEX books.

Now back on the horse (ROBOT SCI FI HORSE Lol!).

Dr Bloodmoney - Philip Dick
Very good post apocalyptic tale of society and outcasts. He often writes about individuals who once were outcasts finding their way. He has never dissapointed me.

Robert Silverberg - Dying inside
Very little Sci Fi, but an interesting tale of a psych losing his powers, and the problems with reading others minds.

Overall, I am always drawn to Ursula le Guin, Space Opera generally or Arthur C Clarke.

I enjoyed the Ender's series, well I didn't read all of them, but I liked the ones I read.

He gets pretty dogmatic after a while. It can be fun to read but he has messages withi messages and if you are the kind of person who likes to read into things he can drive you batty.

I have read some reviews of it, and I am tempted, but it looks a little impenetrable and quirky. WHY SHOULD I READ IT WACKY? WILL GIRLS FIND ME ATTRACTIVE IF I READ IT?

It's not impentrable (it's never spelled out what's happening but you should get it by the end) and I don't see how quirky would be a negative point. It's really funny and at the same time disturbing and very inventive and crazy (so crazy that it was rejected while the author was alive and not published until twenty years later.)

"Is it about a bicycle?"

(I'm reading The Demolished Man now by the way.)

Last night I was digging through books looking for something my gran could read and came across Blood and Gold by Anne Rice. I used to really love her Vampire chronicles and Mayfair witches, so I thought this would be the perfect book to get me back into reading... IT SUCKS, OMG IT SUCKS :rwmad: So the question I have to ask myself is, did her writing go down the toilet, or is it just impossible for me to read now that I'm older? I swear I don't remember her books being this repetitious, and over explaining, and dull. If she uses the phrase "blood drinker" one more time, I"m going to get a facebook acct just so I can tell her how bad it SUCKS.

Cassie, I've found that authors I used to love now annoy the shit out of me. It's like they've gotten lazy because they know they're going to sell anyways, so why bother with good writing.

Headvoid didn't review everything he said he'd ordered in Karma comments (or didn't get round to reading them yet.)

Back