Cowboy Bebop live action series on Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I never watched the ANIME because I used to post on wrestling message boards twenty years ago and I remember some guy there was being a snob like "OH MY GOD HAVE YOU NEVER WATCHED ANIME LOL HOW CAN YOU STAND TO LIVE" and I always unfairly held that against it for a very long time.

Anyway, I'll watch this.

whisky

Boobie inspector
It looks good, but is it going to be like that with people grabbing the frame and stuff?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I'm assuming that was done repeatedly only for the promo, to drive the point that they will be referencing the style of the anime.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I never watched the cartoon either, but I'll watch this because I NEED TV SHOWS.

CaptainWacky

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
They are visually gorgeous, brilliantly scored and densely packed, so you may feel the urge to watch them again after finishing them the first time.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Definitely watch the anime first. It’s excellent. A real work of art.

I’m sceptical about the live action show. John Cho seems way too old for the role, but I guess they were determined to get a name rather than a younger guy who was more suited. I’ll definitely watch it though. Can’t hurt to see.

CaptainWacky

Thoughts on early episodes: Wasn't super into the first episode. Second was more fun. But I think it definitely gets better in episodes three and four when Faye (who I'm assuming is the girl in the live action trailer?) joins. It gives Spike and Jet someone else to play off of. I like the boutny hunter news broadcast things hosted by cowboys. I also have to remember that I'm watching this 23 years too late and if I had watched it in 1998 like a cool person I wouldn't be thinking "this is a bit life Firefly!"

whisky

Boobie inspector
Seen the first two, I like the dog, reminds me of Chester, except noone is calling him a fluffy boy.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
For some reason, I couldn't find it on netflix. Says it doesnt start til mid november and kept pushing me to some anime called "neon evangelis" or something.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Neon Genesis Evangelion is another classic anime from that period, but it has a slightly different tone. It's more "anime-ish" than Bebop.

If you want another anime with a distinctive style and sassy tone like Bebop, seek out Samurai Champloo.

jack

Thanks for the recommendation. So does this mean that the UK folks are getting it on Netflix a few weeks ahead of us? My main netflix screen says "Starts November 15th"

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
No, the anime is available now. If you do a search for Cowboy Bebop, you'll see 2 results. The new live action version is coming Nov. 15th. The original anime version is viewable now. The live action one has the Netflix logo in the corner since it's an original production...

6hqXXes.jpg

jack

Thanks!!

CaptainWacky

Full trailer.

First thing I'll say is that I don't need it to be completely faithful to the anime. In fact, given that I'm just watching the anime for the first time right now, I'm hoping it is quite a bit different just so I don't see all the stories again. While there is stuff I recognise in the trailer, I am hopeful that the show will have its own spin on things. It looks pretty. It could still turn out terrible (hard to tell from a trailer) but at the very least a lot of effort and money has gone into it.

CaptainWacky

I got to the episode where Edward first appears. I can see why she would be kind of hard to do in live action (season two maybe!)

whisky

Boobie inspector
I'm about 8 episodes in, the tone is all over the place, Spikes life flashes before his eyes as he falls to certain death, then he's just comically bound head to toe in bandages, and the next episode he is just fine. It's watchable but it doesn't seem like it should be a cult classic.