Cowboy Bebop live action series on Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I watched the first episode of the live action. It was okay but kind of felt wrong. Like maybe I spoiled myself by watching the anime right before it, I don't know. I tried to look at it as if I hadn't watched the original. But it's hard! Some of the dialogue was a bit weak and the music didn't seem to fit as well as the original. Jet constantly going on about buying a doll for his daughter was annoying. Faye being introduced just as a rival bounty hunter rather than the poker story was disappointing. On the plus side all the main actors were good and the action was fun. I'll watch it but probably slowly.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Yeah it's extremely flawed. After only a few minutes I found myself thinking, "There's no need to make a live action version of this."

I suppose it would seem exciting for people who have never heard of the anime, since it would be all new to them. But I don't see this remake as being something NECESSARY to life...

whisky

Boobie inspector
2nd episode was better, viscious viens were distracting.

Didn't like the cliffhanger ending being ignored in the next episode, that used to annoy me in the cartoon too.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Episode 3 very funny the most original episode up to now, finally we get Ein.

Still no Faye.

I know a lot of the original 90s show were homages to 90s films, do you reckon the doll bit was a homage to jingle all the way?

At least if Jet has an ex wife and kid he's not a pedo.

CaptainWacky

Vicious got more screentime in the first two eps (possibly the second ep alone) than in the whole anime combined.

CaptainWacky

Still only watched four episodes, there's been other things I've felt like watching more. I don't hate it or anything but I don't feel the pressing need to watch (but I will eventually.)

whisky

Boobie inspector
I only have one episode to go, I've enjoyed it, I just hope we get more that moves beyond what we already know.

whisky

Boobie inspector
And it's over, of course thanks to the internet I already knew how it was going to end, but in case any of you are unspoiled, I will hold my opinion until more of you have see. It.

CaptainWacky

Finally finished it, after three weeks. To be honest I quit for over a week when I hit the Vicious/Julia flashback episode. I hated all their scenes and would have rather watched literally anything else than a whole episode of them. Didn't like the big Julia twist much at all and the guy playing Vicious kept making that one face over and over. The rest of the show was...okay? I guess? It didn't really improve as it went on, though it was nice to have Faye in more episodes after being absent for the second and third. She was probably my favourite of the three, but the other two were good as well. It just didn't hold my attention. I kept watching other stuff instead.

The Ed scene was really rough. There's a reason why actors don't usually try to act like anime characters in live action.

Anyway, it's cancelled, so time to forget it forever: https://deadline.com/2021/12/cowboy-bebop-canceled-after-one-season-by-netflix-1234888381/

whisky

Boobie inspector
I guess they followed the original season model too closely by only having one season. Should have been a follow up not a remake.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
But it's hard to follow up a story where the main character dies in the last episode.

I haven't watched the rest of the episodes yet. I love the anime so much that I may end up shutting the new show off mid-episode, again and again...

whisky

Boobie inspector
I
some say he was dead from the start and it's all in his head as he lays dying, but considering what we see him go through in the series and the film, that final episode should have been a flesh wound at best.

As an adaptation they can pick and chose what to keep and what to ignore.

CaptainWacky

I guess we'll never find out how bland their version of 'Mushroom Samba' would have been.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Yeah, Netflix decided not to renew for a 2nd season.

CaptainWacky

I won't because there's 8 other things I want to watch.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
The writer just passed away :(

Dr Dave

pillzlol
I'm watching Ep 1, I don't know if I'll finish the show or not. I'm waiting to see the corgi dammit!

I never saw the original animi, so I don't have a frame of reference to go off on.