DOLLHOUSE SEASON TWO discussion thread

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
The latest one was pretty good. The serial killer was suitably creepy and the guy who plays Victor did a good job as him, then was very funny when he swapped imprints with Echo and turned into the slutty college girl. Dushku was...alright.

Colonel Tigh should have had more to do though.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
After watching the first season & loving it, this doesn't sound too good. From what I've taken in on the first season extras, it never looked that good for a second season to begin with.

I guess the idea is farly limited anyway. Eventually the 'real' personality has to come throug on the dolls after a while, otherwise the format will rapidly become stale, with a natural inbuilt reset button every week. The fact that the 13th "DVD" episode that took the show 10 years into the future was commission also left things confusing.

I don't know, maybe if those two chicks who wrote on Angel and in the early half of the 1st Season hadn't left, it woud have been a more robust beginning for the 2nd Season.

Given the choice, I would still rather have had a 4th season of Veronica Mars than a 2nd of Dollhouse, but since when have US TV Stations ever realised when and when not to cancel things? Firefly, America Gothic, et al.

CaptainWacky

Well, the next episode (in two weeks, FOR SOME REASON) is Sierra-centric and directed by JONATHAN FRAKES so it should be good.

Season two has been alright so far: Topher has developed into an enjoyable character, Amy Acker was great in the first ep and the third one had some good moments. It's just Dushku I continue to be unimpressed with.

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
Because I am a giver I sat and watched an entire episode of Dollhouse and it was fuckin' stupid.

There, now I've watched it so I can have my say.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I feel like they need to come up with something other than Dushku saying "did I fall asleep" in a baby voice twenty times an episode.

CaptainWacky

For a little while.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I liked how Topher's development of remote wiping technology is the first step to the world we saw in Epitaph One.

CaptainWacky

Yeah. The silly man knows not what he's doing.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Fox: We will air all 13 'Dollhouse' episodes

"Dollhouse" fans can breathe easier: Fox will air all 13 episodes.

On the heels of impressive DVR data for last month's "Dollhouse" premiere, network executives say they will run each produced hour of the show's current order despite the Friday drama's modest overall ratings.

"We're going to run all the episodes," Fox scheduling chief Preston Beckman said. "We're not saying we're happy with those numbers, or accept them, but we don't have to overreact. During [November] sweeps we might have to jack up the numbers a little [with other programming], but we plan on completing the order for this show."

As for ordering additional episodes, or a third season, Fox says they will make that decision after the current run.

The news represents a relief to "Dollhouse" fans that the current season won't be cut short, yet also suggests a full-season order is unlikely. Waiting until all 13 episodes have aired before making a decision generally means allowing production on the show to shut down for the season.

Reached by phone, Joss Whedon (who has a terrible-sounding cold -- feel better!) said he's writing the 13th hour to give fans a degree of closure.

"We'll definitely have closure, but will leave some doors open," said Whedon, who's currently shooting the eighth episode. "When we got our first numbers, which were bad, the first thing [Fox president of entertainment] Kevin Reilly said was, 'You'll have all 13,' which was great. They're not going to pull the rug out from under us."

Beckman said DVR results have played a role in the show's fate, though wasn't surprised by today's results.

"It's one of the reasons that we brought it back; we knew it was DVR friendly," Beckman said. "We expected to see this, and hopefully we'll see [the overnight ratings] increase from week to week ... with some shows, you have to look at the bigger picture."

Beckman also humorously characterized deciding the show's fate as a bit of no-win situation when it comes to dealing with Whedon's passionate fans.

"If you cancel it, you're an asshole; if you renew it and then don't put it back on, you're an asshole," he said. "I'm still paying for 'Terminator.' 'Dollhouse' has a small rabid fan base that in the world of social media seems bigger than it is. We gave them another season knowing full well we were going to burn in hell if we pulled it."
I like him. He's a straight shooter.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Haven't watched the third ep, but the one with the baby-snatching was pathetic. I shut it off and came back to it twice before I could stomach watching the whole thing.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I like him. He's a straight shooter.

To be honest, I'm becoming a fan of smaller seasons. The best shows on TV now have 12-15 episode seasons, and we're the better for it. The storylines are tighter, the plotting and through-line of the season is much better, and overall the quality is better. Even a great show like Fringe, with 20 episodes, has a "filler" episode now and then.

CaptainWacky

I hope we get closure on Amy Acker's surprising breasts.

CaptainWacky

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah, seems like they just want to kill it off now.

Seems like abit of a dick move, renew it for a second season just to stop the fans complaining, then put it on at a time when no one can watch it, then stop showing it, and then cancel it because no one watched it.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
[Network TV executives] We are Vorta. It is the way of things. [/Network TV executives]

CaptainWacky

AT LEAST WE GET SUMMER GLAU FOR CHRISTMAS?

CaptainWacky

Great episode this week, easily the best of the season and one of the best yet. IF it was this good every week...well, it would probably still be getting cancelled. But it should be this good every week.

The Topher actor continues to impress and Dichen Lachman is of course better than Dushku. Some disturbing stuff. The direction seemed better than usual, and I'm not just saying that because I know who was directing. There were some cool shots. Good guest appearance by Keith Carradine.

Was Boyd a mafia hitman or something then?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I've been reading that this was a really good episode, I'm sorry I missed it.

CaptainWacky

Maybe it'll be repeated sometime before the next episode airs IN DECEMBER.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I agree, a really good episode and shows that Dollhouse with minimal Dushku really is a much better show.

Except of course that Fox being Fox decided to kill the show off by putting House repeats in it's time slow for sweeps.

Thanks Fox.