Don't forget: THE WALKING DEAD STARTS ON SUNDAY!!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Homo Erectus

I didn't like the beginning. What the fuck? Three guys crawl out of the car one at a time to have a seperate gunfight each? WHat. The. Fuck?

And...a hole in the bottom of a tank? What the fuck?

And how did the radio in teh tank happen to have the same frequency as the guy who was calling him? What the fuck?

and why could he hear him anyway? He just shot a .357 in that tank. He's deaf as nails. What the fuck?

WHAT THE FUCK!!??!!

It was fun anyway.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I didn't like the beginning. What the fuck? Three guys crawl out of the car one at a time to have a seperate gunfight each? WHat. The. Fuck?

That was a pretty horrific car crash, it seems logical if two people were in the front of the car and one was in the back, they'd all stagger out separately.

And...a hole in the bottom of a tank? What the fuck?

Tanks have escape hatches on the bottom. The top hatch of a tank is somewhat lightly armored (in order to be flexible and light enough to open), so it's vulnerable to air attack. If the hatch were to become disabled or fused, the crew could escape out the bottom.

And how did the radio in teh tank happen to have the same frequency as the guy who was calling him? What the fuck?

Police and Military always use the same "emergency frequency" for radios in the case of a catastrophic event. Most likely it was Shane who told the person on the other end of the radio to use the frequency.

and why could he hear him anyway? He just shot a .357 in that tank. He's deaf as nails. What the fuck?

It wasn't a .357, but some sort of .45 cal automatic, from what I remember. Still, his ears would definitely be ringing for quite awhile.

Homo Erectus

That was a pretty horrific car crash, it seems logical if two people were in the front of the car and one was in the back, they'd all stagger out separately..
But after the first one was blown to shit don't you think the second two would have hesitated? Mayeb they were all on PCP or something.

Tanks have escape hatches on the bottom. The top hatch of a tank is somewhat lightly armored (in order to be flexible and light enough to open), so it's vulnerable to air attack. If the hatch were to become disabled or fused, the crew could escape out the bottom..
The M1A1-A3 Abrahms does not have an escape hatch due to ground clearance issues. It has three escape hatches on top. That's all you get besides the drievr's hach.

Police and Military always use the same "emergency frequency" for radios in the case of a catastrophic event. Most likely it was Shane who told the person on the other end of the radio to use the frequency..
meh. Maybe. More likely they expect us to ignore reality and just suspend disbelief.

It wasn't a .357, but some sort of .45 cal automatic, from what I remember. Still, his ears would definitely be ringing for quite awhile.

No, He carries a .357. He grabbed the 9mm berretta out of teh soldiers holster after he shot the zombie soldier with his own last round.

Homo Erectus

I looked up the tank--It's an israeli Merkova. Which does have a bottom hatch. But why are we using Merkova's?

Homo Erectus

Naw. There are M1's available for rent. Just none with holes in the bottome which of course didn't fit the movie. But it adds to the nonbelievability for anybody who knows this, and lots of us do.

Yub

Anachrophobic
And lots don't. Really, who gives a llama's left tit? It could be there for alot of reasons. The UK used Chieftains [which have underside access hatches] and sold alot off, many going to private buyers. For all you know, some guy busted out his tank out of his collection and ran down zombies with it during the zombie apocalypse. You don't know. It could be one of a hundred reasons. For the purposes of that narrative, there was a hatch. It saved Rick's life at the last second. Now shut up.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I...agree...with...YUB!

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I didnt give a shit about the hatch, I was relieved, otherwise he was dead.

He's going to be the new Bruce Campbell, just you watch.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Naw. There are M1's available for rent. Just none with holes in the bottome which of course didn't fit the movie. But it adds to the nonbelievability for anybody who knows this, and lots of us do.

Don't be a pissant, especially if later in the series that very story gets told about why those tanks were there to begin with.

Easy enough, and they're going to need a story line to keep everyone hooked that's coherent, if they want to keep the fringe interested anyway. It's nuances like that that flesh out into interesting segues.

Homo Erectus

And lots don't. Really, who gives a llama's left tit? It could be there for alot of reasons. The UK used Chieftains [which have underside access hatches] and sold alot off, many going to private buyers. For all you know, some guy busted out his tank out of his collection and ran down zombies with it during the zombie apocalypse. You don't know. It could be one of a hundred reasons. For the purposes of that narrative, there was a hatch. It saved Rick's life at the last second. Now shut up.

Oh fuck you Yub. There are a hundred DUMB reasons. The only real one is that it serves a dramatic purpose. It wouldn't have been as ecxiting for YOU if he had jumped up on the tank and climbed in. For me it was stupid because there was no reason for it. I won't bother replying to Wacky who is just being a dick through you, or Jack who called me a pissant instead of discussing it.

Yub

Anachrophobic
Well, someone has sand in their vagina. Not everyone knows about tanks. The majority know the basic features, two tracks, big turrent, makes things go boom.

And I'm glad you conceded the point, it was there for the purposes of the narrative. It created drama. It really doesn't matter why else. Wacky, Jack and 99.9% of everyone who watched seem to agree with that, you floundering nincompoop.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The army were defending Atlanta, so it's implied that the tank and all other military hardware there belongs to the US Army. Also, the guy inside was wearing current uniform (I presume it was current, or Homo would've complained about it), so we're supposed to accept the tank as American.

I don't really care, though, since I'm not a veteran who's familiar with this stuff. From my perspective, using the underside hatch was unexpected, but believable. Or good writing, as it's otherwise known.

As for the radio frequency, well maybe we'll find out the answer to that next week. I'd imagine whoever it is on the other end of the radio was already communicating with the tank, or maybe was even in it at some point, so they knew what frequency to use.

Anyway, good show. There were a few tense moments, especially the bit in the dark stairwell and it kept my interest over all. Oh and Andrew Lincoln's accent was pretty good.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I find it hilarious and very telling that amid a tv show about armies of undead, flesh-eating, animated corpses, it's radio frequencies and tank styles Homo has a problem with. lol stfu and enjoy it for what it is...dumbass.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
As for the show: I happen to be a fan of the Kirkman comic series, and re: the sherriff--that actor is fantastic casting. He's got the chops to carry this show, I liked him instantly and was worried about him, and that's a good sign. I also liked that they fleshed (har har) out the role of the black guy and his kid, giving them more of a backstory than the comic really does. Funny flashback moment: I have long had a phobia about the 1978 version of Dawn of the Dead, probably because I watched it too young and if you've seen it you know it was one of the goriest zombie movies ever. Way over the top, actually got an "X" rating back when that just meant "adults only".

Anyway, that movie haunted my nightmares for years and probably has a lot to do with my zombie obsessions, and a few of the scenes always stuck with me: ONe was a black man cameo scene where he sees his wife coming toward him, runs to give her a big hug, and she chomps the shit out of his neck. This scene in Walking Dead was a definite homage to that one, whether it was deliberate or accidental, and gave me the fucking shivers. I ain't kidding.

Anyway, I'm hooked, and I'll be watching. Best new series of the year, by far.

Homo Erectus

I find it hilarious and very telling that amid a tv show about armies of undead, flesh-eating, animated corpses, it's radio frequencies and tank styles Homo has a problem with. lol stfu and enjoy it for what it is...dumbass.

Ohhh very telling my ass. Hey fuck you too. I DID say I liked the show. It is entirely possible to have fun with a show and stil have issues with things.

Homo Erectus

I liked that he tracked his first living dead down and apologized to her before he blew her brains out. I also wondered if that was her bycicle he took. LIke was she attacked on her bike and left there after she was mostly eaten?

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Quick correct: It was the wife who was bitten. I found it in this trailer at about 1:26 but the whole scene is much more graphic. Goddamn creepy movie...[YOUTUBE]LPt8CWFFtVI[/YOUTUBE]

Homo Erectus

oh yeah. I had forgot about this one. THey changed the ending. Originally the girl was supposed to have her head chopped off by the helecopter at the end and the cop stayed to kill dead people. Real bummer. As it was everybody climbed in and flew away to heaven.