Don't forget: THE WALKING DEAD STARTS ON SUNDAY!!

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Ohhh very telling my ass. Hey fuck you too. I DID say I liked the show. It is entirely possible to have fun with a show and stil have issues with things.

Don't get your panties wadded up, I'm fucking with you. But you are being a total buzzkill weenie about the tank and the minutiae. You remind me of a bro of mine who went with a group of us to watch Lord of the Rings Fellowship when it first came out. I was alone that night because my ex hated that kind of stuff, but my bro had a hot looking date who was basically ignorant of the story and along for the ride. So we come out of the film, everyone's hyped and excited at the opening night spectacle, and if my buddy plays it right he's getting laid that night guaranteed. You could see it in her eyes.

And what does that idiot do? He immediately launches into a total nerd meltdown of exactly where the movie goes "wrong" by straying from the book, complete with Tom Bombadil rant, the absence of the fucking pony bits, all of it. I'm watching his date the whole time he's ranting, and she went from not following to not caring to not wanting to be there at like mach 3. Have you ever watched sexual desire die in a woman's eyes, when it ain't directed at you? Fucking heartbreaking. I wanted to slap him in the head and cry and laugh all at the same time, and the dude just blathered on, oblivious to the rapidly retreating chances of getting a taste any time soon from that girl.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I liked that he tracked his first living dead down and apologized to her before he blew her brains out. I also wondered if that was her bycicle he took. LIke was she attacked on her bike and left there after she was mostly eaten?

Yeah, the comic makes it pretty clear that it's her bike.

Yub

Anachrophobic
As for the show: I happen to be a fan of the Kirkman comic series, and re: the sherriff--that actor is fantastic casting. He's got the chops to carry this show, I liked him instantly and was worried about him, and that's a good sign.

I think they nailed the casting on both Rick and Carl. Dale too, even though we've only see 30 seconds of him.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know anything about the underside hatches on different models of Tanks but it's completely reasonable to believe that the military would be receiving and broadcasting on a civilian frequency during a catastrophic event. And seeing what happened to the Tank it's even more believable that they would have switched to the most used frequency to try and get help anyway...

I liked the first episode and it has allayed any slight worries I had about the series. The guy playing Rick is instantly likable and it's clear that he can carry the show as Dono said. I actually cared about the characters which makes knowing what happens to Morgan's son all the worse.

It sucks that they are only commissioning six episodes for the first season. NEED MOAR.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Meant to watch it, but didnt realise what night it was on till too late, hopefully there will be a repeat showing before the second episode.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Now I'm going to be a whiny bitch. Could we keep spoilers out, please?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I have a question OR TWO.

OK, so I don't like scary movies much. I don't like stupid gore that's only there for shock value, and I don't like jumpy scary THINGS... but I keep reading how great this show is, so I kinda want to give it a try. Is it too gory? Is there a lot of suspense followed by a zombie jumping out and getting someone? OR is there a really good story and the gore is there for the story? I can handle gore if it serves a purpose. OR SOMETHING.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
So far there hasn't really been much gore in the sense of people's entrails being torn out of their living bodies, as they thrash about, helplessly crowd surfing a sea of the undead.

There are some very lifelike zombies who are probably the most decomposed and believable I've seen in anything so far (and I watch anything with zombies), but they've mostly just been shambling along, or lying dead on street corners.

What makes the show good is that it's not all about blood and guts. It's concentrating very much on the characters, though that does mean you might get a bit scared when they're put into tight spots, as the main character was a couple of times in the first episode.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'd say the gore is only there to serve a purpose and is never gratuitous. There is quite a bit of it though! I don't think there were actually many jumpy scary bits either, as I don't remember being too scared during it. There's some tense parts and some psychologically terrifying moments, but it's not like a jumpy horror movie all the way through. I THINK YOU'D LIKE IT.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Now I'm going to be a whiny bitch. Could we keep spoilers out, please?

Yes we should keep discussion of what happens in the comic out of this thread or in spoiler code. Though even if you have read some comic spoilers you might not have necessarily been spoiled, they've already changed stuff in the first episode.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
THANK YOU FOR THE REASSURANCE. I'll see if I can watch a repeat of the pilot, otherwise I will jump in on the second episode.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Watched the directors cut of the first episode on FX, ran to 65 minutes, no adverts at all.

It might have addressed some of the issues Clay had, as he did go deaf for a few minutes after firing the gun in the tank.

Seems good if a little slow.

Will definitely be tuning in next week though.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Some thoughts:

1. Spoilers re: comic. GFood idea, and like it was said there are already some changes and more are planned, so there is no guarantee what happens in the comic will translate to the screen.

2. That said, for Cassie, yes you will like it, it is much more a character drama about people dealing with the destruction of everything they know than a zombie flick. That said, there stand to be some real gutwrenching and potentially gruesome scenes eventually if it sticks even halfway close to the plotline. It ain't the carebears. These people get put through the wringer.

3. About the deafness-keep in mind that while being deaf for several long minutes is accurate and true to life, it's boring as hell to watch on tv. They showed the guy being deaf for a bit, and sitting in the tank. We may assume the extra twenty minutes of him saying "Answer the damn phone already!" was squeezed for story flow.

4. For everyone who missed it: AMCtv.com was streaming the pilot episode on its site yesterday and may still be doing so. I watched it very comfortably on my slow-ass DSL so if you have internet (and I assumed you do or how the fuck did you get here) you can watch it and get caught up. The new ep is Sunday 10 eastern time USA, no clue where it is overseas sorry.

5. I hereby officially vote for this to be the replacement obsession for those of us missing LOST. Missmanners will be pissed about the zombies thing, but I'll make it up to her in private...somehow.

6. Any other ladies who need anything made up to them in private...line forms to the left. No shoving, budging or cutting.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
My damn buddy bagged off having us over to watch at his house again, so I gotta hope they stream it or wait a frigging week. Dammit! I'm gonna make friends with somebody who has cable...

Homo Erectus

It was a good one. Better attention to detail in this one I thought, and it sets you up for bad things in the future.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
It was a good one. Better attention to detail in this one I thought, and it sets you up for bad things in the future.

Never mind the plot, did they get the tanks right? lol just kidding. If it makes you feel better, Sir Sacrifyx on his board was bitching about how long Rick was comatose and whether his fingernails were long enough, so I yelled at him too and told him he had Asperger's.

Yub

Anachrophobic
My damn buddy bagged off having us over to watch at his house again, so I gotta hope they stream it or wait a frigging week. Dammit! I'm gonna make friends with somebody who has cable...

Just torrent it. It's already up at Demoniod.

Edit: second ep, that is.

Homo Erectus

well it's true goddammit. It's attention to detail that makes a show believeable. The more fantastic the circumstance, the greater attention to detail you need to show or explain away. They did neither and won't. It was a tank with a hole in the bottom in a wolrd where our tanks don't have holes in the bottom. And Rick should have had shit stains and piss all over the floor if he was in a coma unless someone was around to clean him. And no one was around to do that evidently.

I like this show. Don't get me wrong. But stuff like that can make or break a new show.