Having trouble

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Yeah, I love Firefox ALSO. It's good to have two browsers!

Gear, I suspect your issues with the board started when all this stuff was turned on, or added or WHATEVER:

5230.imgcache.jpg

Probably something in your IE8 browser doesn't like it. I didn't notice that stuff until the day you started this thread. Maybe if you send Hambil a PM and ask him nicely he'll get rid of it, or will know what the problem is.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
But Cassie, if I recall correctly, that stuff has been added way before the troubles started. But it sure is worth a try.

Another thought - did you fiddle with the panic button? Maybe that setting is making trouble.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Hrmm, I didn't notice that stuff before Gear made this thread. I assumed it was turned on recently, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention... it's only in the first post of every thread, so I could have been overlooking it.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
I think Menty installed it some time in Feb, along with fixing stuff and upgrading and whatnot.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Gear, have you tried disabling addons? Do that and then report back!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Click on tools, then manage add-ons. A list of add-ons will appear, and to the right it will say if it is enabled or disabled. You can then disable the add-ons one at a time.

OH, forget all that (unless you just want to do it). This will be much faster.

From Start menu:

1. Click Start button.
2. Choose All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and click on the Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

There will be a warning at the top of the page, so right click on it. Then you can manage your add-ons one at a time until you find the problem.

Here is a website with pictures of the screens you will encounter. http://www.askdrtech.com/solutions/post/How-to-run-IE8-without-add-ons.aspx

This one's good too http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3892/manage-and-troubleshoot-addons-in-internet-explorer-8/

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
The only problem I run into is the Community thread in the MF gives me the hourglass, and I have to shut down TK. Fucking Chang.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
That's probably because the thread is approaching 1,000 posts, which is the point where a thread becomes unwieldy for the board. I've been thinking about splitting it in two for a while -- I'm going to go ahead (especially since the show wasn't cancelled this week, lol).

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Ok so I tried disabling one addon at a time and all at once. No change. Also logging out and back in. For those of you who don't know this is occuring on west coast us pst.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
On my 64-bit Win7 laptop, I've had problems with Firefox for months, to the point where the browser is paralyzed in an endless loop whenever I try to access any site. It might have something to do with my overabundance of anti-everything utilities (AVG, iObit, Malwarebytes, etc.), but I still can't trace the specific root of the problem. I'm now using Google Chrome, which feels light and nimble but is also still feature-deficient. I'm dumping my history and download manager by hand every other hour!

But on my XP workstation, Firefox works just as fine as it always has.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I blame jack.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I'm out of suggestions :(

The board freezes sometimes for me too, but never for very long.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Alright, I lied. It's pretty much any thread now. I don't want to fuck with it though since this is the work computer at the office.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Given what I'm seeing on the outside, I think the board (and maybe one or two posters in particular) are being victimized by a dDoS cannon.

Easy enough to verify, but that's what the board acted like after a couple days ago. Kind of follows a particular pattern.

But aside from being slow sometimes, I've had no problems at all over the period of this thread.

To the OP: if you haven't used the free version of Malwarebytes, it will help. Different than the other bug finders, this gets deep into the registry. You should see where they bury the fucking backdoors these days. Sounds like that's what's happened to you.

http://www.malwarebytes.org

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
So here's the latest from this side - I access TK from the dropdown no problem. QSF opens immediately. When I try to open this thread it takes 4 min 19 sec to load from the moment I click 'Having trouble'.

Jack - I dl'd and ran MBs. It found three bogies others missed. Thanks.

Edit: Less than 4 seconds to post this.

Edit: Less than 2 to edit.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Update: I installed IE9 this morning. The board is still a little sticky here and there but it's running quite a bit quicker.

With my luck they probably just snaked a line somewhere in the mess of cables between me and wherever this fucker is stored. Probably just have to look at this wonky setup for nothing.

Thanks for the suggs folks.

Gear