House of the Dragon

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Looks like what you'd expect a GOT spin-off to look like, really.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
More dragons are always a good thing. lol

CaptainWacky

I hope Bran is in it via TIME TRAVEL.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
And Hodor's giant peen!

CaptainWacky

Still looks a lot like a GOT remix than its own thing but maybe it'll be good who knows.

CaptainWacky

dragons

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
I didn't realize Fun Lovin' Dave had actually posted!

CaptainWacky

Shared IPs for Fun Lovin' Dave

No matching users were found.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Starts in 3 weeks!

CaptainWacky

Can't say I feel anything.

CaptainWacky

I guess I'll watch this tomorrow.

MODMAN

I thought it was a solid start. Matt Smith was good. Could have done without the GoT references at the end (unless any of it is of some consequence).

CaptainWacky

It was a well made, well acted episode of tv. But I do wonder which characters I'm supposed to care about? Matt Smith was the most interesting one, but he's a total psycho. The Hand of the King seemed okay until he told his daughter to go fuck an old man (luckily it looks like the King didn't fuck her.) The Princess feels a lot like Arya crossed with Dany. Whereas in GOT we had Tyrion, the Starks and even Robert who all had likable or at least sympathetic qualities from the first episode (Dany was barely a character until later in the season.)

And yeah it's weird to end with a prophecy which we know doesn't come true until nearly two hundred years later?

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
All it needed was George R. R. Martin as a character, breaking the fourth wall(worked for Deadpool and She-Hulk)and winking at the audience and saying "And the dream is called a Song of Ice and Fire. I swear I'll finish the book before I die."

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
It seemed like it was kind of rushed, like they were trying to cram a bunch of stuff in so they could get to the story. I do like the princess.

CaptainWacky

The part where the guy from Dorne won the tournament and hardly anyone reacted was weird.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I liked it, but it does seem like it will struggle against its very different focus if it wants to contend with the popularity of GoT. The Dance of Dragons should be suitably epic though and I assume will be the second half of the season. I didn't have much doubt that Matt Smith would deliver and he did. Rhaenyra and Vicerys were well cast. Rhaenyra a cute. No complaints about production, etc.

As Wacky said, none of them are natural protagonists though. There is another actress playing Rhaenyra when she's older as well as one for Hightower so it looks like the show will time jump to the actual events of the civil war with different actresses (but not for Matt Smith presumably). so we don't even get to really spend much time with Alcock in the role anyway, so that might be slightly jarring. I assume that the season will end with the civil war concluding and Aegon III being put on the Iron Throne so is the show going to continue on from there with an entirely new cast for season 2?

It could work I guess. I'm a sucker for court intrigue but once again, prequel material always suffers from having the destination mapped out.

Also, it really felt that they were forcing the quota of violence, gore, and sex to make sure the audience knew it was still Game of Thrones OK. OK!

Anyway, I'll keep watching.

CaptainWacky

To be honest, I read the book the show is based on but I can't remember anything about it. Like, I know there's dragons shooting fire at each other but that's about it. So I'm kind of watching the story through fresh eyes. The book is written as a historical text and just didn't stick in my mind the way the more character focused original books did. Apparently they've already changed some stuff with Alicent. But some people might not want spoilers for a book I can't remember so I won't talk to much about it (which I can't remember anyway.)

Unrelated:

Last edited: