House of the Dragon

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I enjoyed the second episode as it let us get to know the characters more and understand the political situation. The scene on the bridge to Dragonstone was really good to look at. They should remake GOT season one with this budget (not really, that would be insane.) I like how they set up Viserys possibly marrying a 12 year old to make it slightly (slightly!) less creepy when he marries a 15 year old (and it really doesn't look like he's fucked her yet so points for that?)

I still think it suffers a bit from only being focused on this one story and family. GOT had a lot more storylines and locations even in the first season. But I guess we'll get Daemon fighting killer crabs next week at least.

Really disappointing that the opening theme is just the GOT theme again.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
It's just so boring! The bridge scene was the best thing that's happened so far. The only character I care anything about is Rhaenyra.

MODMAN

I don't mind a tighter story. It's not a prerequisite of good storytelling to have umpteen plot threads to juggle. After all, this isn't the same show - it's not Game of ...

DUM-da dada-DA-da dada-DA-da ...

Took a few moments for me to click. I'm so used to hearing that theme after the HBO logo; was happy to hear it again before I thought "hold up!"

Another solid episode IMO. I'll miss the younger cast when they do the time jump - both girls are very talented, especially the actress playing Rhaenyra.

The Hand Hightower has got the King in the palm of his hand. That was very nicely played - yes, it's a good pairing; I don't envy the burden of having to remarry so soon. Heh.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the second episode was excellent. I'm fully invested in the show now. The acting is great, the story is compelling and it looks fantastic. Could still go off the rails but it doesn't look like it will.

CaptainWacky

Third episode has a bit too much of Viserys being drunk and a bad king. I thought Rhaenyra and Cirston would fuck in the woods but no. The crab fight at the end was fun.

MODMAN

Third episode has a bit too much of Viserys being drunk and a bad king. I thought Rhaenyra and Cirston would fuck in the woods but no. The crab fight at the end was fun.
She is giving him fuck looks if we're allowed to say that in 2022.

I thought so as well.

When I heard the rustle in the woods I spun an insta-theory it was White Heart and that Cirston would bring it down. They would then return to camp with it in tow, upending Otto and anyone else who pegged White Heart as a portent of Aegon's destined ascension. But. . . it was a bloody boar.

I don't know anything of the book, but I suspect Viserys is going to be a hollowed out shell by the end. We saw in spite of the appalling childbirth scene a genuine love between him and Emma - she was a true partner. Emma would be able to talk to him, rather than meekly going up to him and calling him your grace as Allicent did. That and the never-fucking-ending discussions over who should be betrothed / married to whom along with Daemon's antics it's no wonder he's threatening to drink himself off the deep end.

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

I've seen it speculated that Viserys' drinking is really to cover the pain from his constantly sword-related maladies.

CaptainWacky

It's MILDLY CONFUSING how they already switched Laenor to an older actor, while Rhaenyra and Alicent are still played by their younger actors.

(I guess it would be irresponsible to have the kid actor riding a dragon.)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
It really was confusing, I asked Wacky who tf was the guy riding the dragon and when he told me I thought maybe it was someone who I just hadn't seen on the show yet because the last time I saw him he was a little kid. lol

MODMAN

Ooooooooooookay. Didn't realise that. I was confused as well Cassie.

That guy / kid is a Velaryon. Now I wasn't clear on this previously, but didn't they say that Targaryens are the only dragonriding Valyrians? I suppose there's already an overlap in their bloodlines so a little Targaryen is all you need (see: Jon). Anyway, this instance aside, is it a requirement to have Targaryen blood? The Sea Snake made a point his family weren't dragonriders. Or, is it more the case that the Targies just maintain a monopoly on the dragons' affection, rather than anything mystical / genetic?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Another top-quality episode for me. They're keeping the court intrigue stuff really engaging and progressing the story at a fair clip so it doesn't feel like they're stalling. The two-year time jump took a moment, and it was slightly weird how it was played that Rhaenys had been in a sulk for that entire time and not spoken to her father but whatever. Minor quibble.

Perhaps the move of location to the hunt could have been a bit more interesting but it had some good stuff in there. I agree that Vicerys being a drunk was dragged out more than it needed to be but Paddy Considine is so good in the role that he's eminently watchable so let him chew scenery all he wants. Milly Alcock and Matt Smith are taking a lot of plaudits (and for good reason) but don't overlook Paddy. He's been excellent.

I thought the scene with Rhaenys and Vicerys was really well done. He's an ineffectual and indecisive king but an inherently good person (in the context of this world at least) but that's not a quality that will carry you to be a great ruler. I like how they show how being decent just isn't enough to cut it at the top in this world and heavy is the crown.

Matt Smith. Awesome really! The whole sequence from where he reads the letter from his brother to dragging out the crabfeeder without uttering one line was just top-tier shit. OK, I could pick apart the sequence for a bunch of reasons if I was being pedantic (got to love single-file attacks against the hero character) but it was so visceral and entertaining I'll let some of the action movie magic slide.

They probably did need a small scene of Laenor mounting the dragon to make it click with the audience because I think we were all expecting Caraxes and then it was confusing for a moment who exactly it was and why he was also a dragon rider until you realized it was Corlys', son.

One last point about the dragons. Caraxes design is super dope and I loved how he flew off when retreating in the first scene. Very serpentine. Lots of nice touches and attention to detail in this production that really elevate it

I LIKE THIS SHOW A LOT.

CaptainWacky

I'm pretty sure there were several dragon-riding families in Old Valyria. And the Targeryens were actually the lesser of the dragonlord families, but were just the only ones who survived the Doom of Valyria? I could look it up I guess!

MODMAN

Damn. Another great episode - and spicy. They're 4 for 4 so far as I'm concerned. Any doubts I had for this prequel have evaporated.

Looks like the proverbial is hitting the fan next week from the preview.

I'm going to miss Alcock and Carey in their portrayals of Rhaenyra and Alicent.

CaptainWacky

You're an uncle fucker yes it's true, nobody fucks uncles quite like you!

Actually they didn't fuck, because Daemon's cock doesn't work right? Or did he always intend to just leave her all hot and bothered, as long as Otto's spies spotted them together?

You can see the difference between this and GOT in how the sex scenes are shot.