Hurry - turn on the news - Special Report on Osama Bin Laden

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
I'm very sure that the Gov't knew where he was all along. They just waited till now to get him to avoid making him a martyr.

There is still one question that has gone unanswered: How did the Govt Identify him so fast without knowing something about those attacks all along?

Even before the second building fell, the govt was already on TV screaming that they had identified him. If they could gather enough intelligence reports to Identify him that fast, they should have been able to use those same reports to go after those hijackers and stopped those attacks dead in their tracks.

Bush was asked these questions by reporters from the International Media (especially Iran), and bush never gave an answer. All the way to the day he left office, he never gave an answer :(

Because the towers were planned fucking demolitions, Starguard.

696.imgcache.jpg

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I'm sorry, but I'm not jumping on the conspiracy bandwagon.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Dead, he probably is. It would be very stupid to claim he is dead and then he show up again - risen from the dead!

But, killed in Abbottabad yesterday ... ?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Our political climate is so deeply, deeply cynical and twisted that people will never know the real truth about the events of the last 50 years until we are long, long dead.

History is written by the victors.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
We've been lied to so much by people we were raised to trust that we have a hard time believing anything.

The media was on it immediately - the anniversary of Bush declaring "Mission Accomplished." How convenient a sound byte.

Maybe they killed him awhile back and waited until a time to announce it for other reasons. Like maybe to bury the never ending Kate & William stories of ridiculous hats and trees in the Abbey with music reminding of Diana. Or to deflect the attention off the recently released birth certificate. Or, just maybe, they killed him when they said they did and where they said they did because someone in the neighborhood was up tweeting about the racket going on.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
That mission accomplished thing has been taken out of context for years. He never said the war was over, he said the mission of that ship that he visited was completed. I'm not a Bush fan, but I hate hearing shit that's just wrong.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Conspiracy?

Patriot Act anyone? there's a conspiracy.

jack

It doesn't matter if he's dead or alive anymore. This is just a cynical power grab.

jack

Looks like there's a "conspiracy" about your mission accomplished statement, Dirk.

On May 1, 2003, Bush became the first sitting President to make an arrested landing in a fixed-wing aircraft on an aircraft carrier[2][3] when he arrived at the USS Abraham Lincoln in a Lockheed S-3 Viking, dubbed Navy One, as the carrier returned from combat operations in the Persian Gulf. He posed for photographs with pilots and members of the ship's crew while wearing a flight suit. A few hours later, he gave a speech announcing the end of major combat operations in the Iraq War. Far above him was the warship's banner stating "Mission Accomplished."

Opponents criticized Bush's historic jet landing on the carrier as an overly theatrical and expensive stunt. For instance, they pointed to the fact that the carrier was well within range of Bush's helicopter, and that a jet landing was not needed.[4] Originally the White House had stated that the carrier was too far off the California coast for a helicopter landing and a jet would be needed to reach it. On the day of the speech, the Lincoln was only 30 miles (48 km) from shore but the administration still decided to go ahead with the jet landing. White House spokesman Ari Fleischer admitted that Bush "could have helicoptered, but the plan was already in place. Plus, he wanted to see a landing the way aviators see a landing."[5] The Lincoln made a scheduled stop in Pearl Harbor shortly before the speech, docked in San Diego after the speech, and returned to her home port in Everett, Washington on May 6, 2003.

S-3B Viking "Navy One" at the National Museum of Naval Aviation

The S-3 that served as "Navy One" was retired from service and placed on display at the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Florida on July 17, 2003. The museum makes it clear that Bush was a passenger — not the pilot — of the plane.[6] Unlike his father, who was a Navy pilot, George W. Bush was never trained to land on a carrier.

The banner stating "Mission Accomplished" was a focal point of controversy and criticism. Navy Commander and Pentagon spokesman Conrad Chun said the banner referred specifically to the aircraft carrier's 10-month deployment (which was the longest deployment of a carrier since the Vietnam War) and not the war itself, saying "It truly did signify a mission accomplished for the crew."[7]

The White House claimed that the banner was requested by the crew of the ship, who did not have the facilities for producing such a banner. Afterward, the administration and naval sources stated that the banner was the Navy's idea, White House staff members made the banner, and it was hung by the U.S. Navy personnel. White House spokesman Scott McClellan told CNN, "We took care of the production of it. We have people to do those things. But the Navy actually put it up."[8] According to John Dickerson of Time magazine, the White House later conceded that they actually hung the banner but still insists it had been done at the request of the crew members.[9]

President Bush, with NFO Lt. Ryan Philips, in the flight suit he wore for his controversial televised arrival on the USS Abraham Lincoln.

Whether meant for the crew or not, the general impression created by the image of Bush under the banner has been criticized as premature, especially later as the guerrilla war began. Subsequently, the White House released a statement saying that the sign and Bush's visit referred to the initial invasion of Iraq. Bush's speech noted:
"We have difficult work to do in Iraq. We are bringing order to parts of that country that remain dangerous."[10]"Our mission continues...The War on Terror continues, yet it is not endless. We do not know the day of final victory, but we have seen the turning of the tide." However the speech also said that:
"In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed."[10] When he received an advance copy of the speech, U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld took care to remove any use of the phrase "Mission Accomplished" in the speech itself. Later, when journalist Bob Woodward asked him about his changes to the speech, Rumsfeld responded: "I was in Baghdad, and I was given a draft of that thing to look at. And I just died, and I said my God, it's too conclusive. And I fixed it and sent it back… they fixed the speech, but not the sign."[11]

Bush did offer a "Mission Accomplished" message to the troops in Afghanistan at Camp As Sayliyah on June 5, 2003 — about a month after the aircraft carrier speech: "America sent you on a mission to remove a grave threat and to liberate an oppressed people, and that mission has been accomplished."[12]

President George W. Bush on the Abraham Lincoln being saluted by the flight deck crew.

For critics of the war, the photo-op became a symbol of the Bush administration's unrealistic goals and perceptions of the conflict. Anti-war activists questioned the integrity and realism of Bush's "major combat" statement. The banner came to symbolize the irony of Bush giving a victory speech only a few weeks after the beginning of a relatively long war. Many in the administration came to regret the slogan. Karl Rove later stated, "I wish the banner was not up there."[13]

In a less publicized incident, Rumsfeld also declared an end to major combat operations in Afghanistan on May 1, a few hours before Bush's announcement.[14]

In November 2008, Bush indicated that he regretted the use of the banner, stating in a CNN interview, "To some, it said, well, 'Bush thinks the war in Iraq is over,' when I didn't think that. It conveyed the wrong message."[15] In January 2009, Bush said that "Clearly, putting 'Mission Accomplished' on an aircraft carrier was a mistake.

He also said there were WMD in Irag as well s Saddam being responsible for 9/11. So Dirk, which falshoods were true? Sayinmg it wasn't what he should have done was one thing, after the fact.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry, but I'm not jumping on the conspiracy bandwagon.

I can't help it, sadly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting the idea that it went down exactly like they told us but I am cynical and wary about what we're told is the truth because we have been bullshitted so many times before. They have declared this guy dead 9 times and he needed serious and sustained dialysis treatment back in 2001 and since 2002 there has been little credible evidence that he is alive (not a red flag by itself). So while people will always be cynical about others being cynical about this type of stuff I can't help but raise an eyebrow when we don't have any pictures and they quickly dumped the most wanted man in the world's body in the sea.

Once again though, quite ready to be proven wrong with some actual evidence. So far we have no evidence, that's all.

jack

well you have at LEAST half of a poorly done chop for proof.

Robert "Monkey" Loggia

Mongoloid Biscuit Beast
Obama should have made his head into an ashtray and put it on his desk in the oval office.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
I'm certainly no fan of Obama, but I give credit where credit is due. Good job, Barry, and good job to the armed forces who carried out the op.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Really super glad that there is no historical precedent that proves that governments have lied to their people over and over again because with the White House shutting up shop without giving out any evidence that might make a rational person think that something wasn't quite right.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I'm no conspiracy theorist and I generally agree that the official story makes some sense. However, I have to agree, too, that there needs to be some evidence other than the picture was gruesome so they aren't going to show it. Osama was killed, shot in the head, shot in the chest, no telling where else he may have been shot. It isn't going to be pretty. They could have photographed him after his body was cleaned - like it should have been done in Islamic tradition - just before they wrapped him up in the white sheet - like it should have been done in Islamic tradition - and tossed his body in the sea - like it could have been done in Islamic tradition.

I am also sick and tired of hearing Osama was unarmed. Well, he should have been armed. If anyone in the world should have been expecting to be faced with people wanting to kill him at any minute, it was Osama bin Laden. It isn't like he was a person working in an office building doing office work on the morning of September 11, 2001, who never in a million years expected to be blown to hell that day.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
The wars these past years aren't as simple as just trying to find Osama bin Laden. It is fighting global terrorism. I am not one who subscribes to fighting violence with violence. However, many other avenues that have been tried - money, supplies, assistance of all kinds, diplomacy - haven't worked very well either. We have a name for our enemies - terrorists, Al Qaeda - but it isn't like our enemy is easy to identify by a specific appearance or uniform. A person doesn't always wear their core belief, their idealogy, for everyone to see. What is the solution? I don't know. Apparently no one else knows either.