Inside the mind of a troll

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Well, when I whip out my humongous eDick, people get hurt. So I'm learning to control myself...

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
There had also been a PM from Darth, between that comment in the thread and this post. A pm that specifically got me thinking along these lines, which I've thought of at times before. I am not sure why this would be considered a passive-aggressive attack - or...

I guess maybe I kind of get it, but it's just more of this crazy thinking on my part. You go into something (the generic you) thinking someone is a certain kind of person, and that is how you start reading everything they post.

In reality, you can do that to anyone, twist anything anyone posts no matter how hard they try, if your intent is already to do so - consciously or not.

Guilty as charged, although in my defense it wasn't so much that I expected it from you because I think it's your MO, but because I have seen too many people trying to attack someone by posting what seems to be a general observation/question/statement. I simply reacted to the general style of the post. It didn't help that right before you posted, I had waded through three AQG threads at ExIsle. Holy fuck, it's incredible what a bunch of asinine, nasty, and aggressive posters there are!

I just wish people would stop assigning sinister motives to things I say that are not, and never have, existed.
Troll paranoia, dear. It's the #1 cause for online feuds these days.

What I don't really get is why in this case, you'd think anyone assigned a sinister motive to what you said upthread. All that was done was point out what you apparently were referring to. Neither Darth nor I objected to you doing so, just stating that you apparently meant him. And I only did it because I felt like riling you up, anyway :p

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
I overreacted - for similar reasons actually - EI. There has been so much of this lately (people thinking anything you do or say is personally all about them). Whew...

Anyway. I'm just saying I hope we can all move on , and people can stop wishing me dead (except CU, I expect that's a lost cause) :)

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
lol, so basically, it's all EI's fault!!

You do realize that the more often you talk about CU, the more likely it gets that he's gonna appear and wish you dead, don't you? :)
Come on - if I can get over cringing every time someone spouts nazi bullshit and asks for good old Adolf to come back, (yes, I did cringe, you bloody assholes. Took me about 6 months to get over it and relax), you surely can learn to see how incredibly meaningless it is if someone on a troll board wishes you dead, can't you? It's not like you need him to like you or something...

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
I don't care if he likes me or not. But the attitude became rampant among his followers, and was pretty hurtful. I know everyone thinks I have thin skin, because of some of what I've been through lately, but that's not really the case. I took a lot while I was admin here. Anyway, I've said what I said, it got heard or not :)

I'm not beating a dead horse any longer.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Trolling is kind of a fine art some people confuse with general boorishness or asshat behavior. It is a deft practice designed to let the wind out of the sails of those who desperately need it, and at the same time giving everyone a little chuckle. For example: changing certain forum options, no matter what the stated intent, is a fine troll because there are those who take such things a little too seriously and need to be reminded that not all is as lifeshattering as the color of karma stars.
On the other hand, the "boogeyman troll" is equally fine when handled correctly, such as Darth occasionally jumping out of the ExIsle bushes and yelling "Booga booga" at them so they'll continue to be frightened of him. Done well, this is very effective and requires very little effort (and let's face it, if we weren't ALL lazy bastards our hobbies would be hiking and hanggliding, not the fucking internet) however, done incorrectly it becomes a Comicon Jackdancer wandering back in after a long absence to find a disinterested audience. It's all about timing.
At any rate, the perfect Troll is a lot like Shakespeare's Fool; wise enough to tell a king from a codpiece, ingenious enough to get away with deliberately confusing the two, and likable enough that he or she can say with impunity that neither the king nor the codpiece is a more useful tool.

3142.imgcache.gif

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
the perfect Troll is a lot like Shakespeare's Fool; wise enough to tell a king from a codpiece
Which would imply that the goal of a troll is to not get banned. So:
1) Trolling a board (TK) that won't ban you, is not very exciting.
2) If the perfect troll is someone who can tell the king from the codpiece we haven't had many of them - considering how many got themselves banned all over the place. Hint: The king is the guy who banned you.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Any fuckwit can get banned. Hell even Luci can do that. real trolling is much more subtle as the victim gradually becomes aware that he's being fucked with but he'll be damned if he can figure out where the conversation went south.

Mark

After reading Darthsikles post to me earlier in the day, it reminded me of TK, so I came over and logged in. After re-reading the first thread I posted in when I first came to TK, I'd just like to apologize for being such an asshole to everybody. Someone must've had me really pissed off about something way back then.

Hi, everybody.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Apology not accepted - knights, kill this man.

Mark

Oh yeah? Who's gonna come get a piece of this first?:phpevil:

Well, at least I'm back. Throw me in the dungeon if ye pleases, but I'm much more useful alive, and free.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
You must marry the ugliest of my daughters, Henoch, to appease me.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
After reading this thread I've come away with a strong desire to say something smart.
Hey, knock yourself out. But please try to restrain yourself from rambling on endlessly - it's so tedious to read walls of texts spanning over 6 or 7 paragraphs.... :whistle:

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I do understand something now that I didn't then - and that contributed in part also. For a long time I did not understand the minefield.

Do not get me wrong, I never had anything against it, even found it amusing. What I didn't understand was what it was really all about.

To most of us, a board is a place we go to hang out and blow off some steam or whatever. But for some of the minefielder's, I think the forum serves a very real need in their lives, more so than I understood.

The result of this - when I was playing with the board and mods and hacks - though I think a lot of good came from it, I was disrupting the posting in the minefield. And I didn't realize why that was a big deal. Now I do.

Though, perhaps not as bad as the misunderstanding that led to the CU/Messy/Jack war, it seems to have left a scar on my relation to the minefield. That's okay, but kind of unfortunate. Because now that I understand what it really is, I kind of could use it.

Anyway, I am here to hopefully, this time, do no harm intentional or otherwise. TK has grown too small for this. I think it's time for us to stop fighting with each other.

I don't think you understood (and maybe still don't) that the daily constant tinkering made it impossible to enjoy the board, because it was either too slow or constantly changing. If it had only gone on for a few days I don't think you would have gotten many complaints, but it seemed never ending. We love improvements that make the board function better, but some of the other stuff (like egg avatar) did nothing but make this seem like a kiddy site and actually made the board slower, especially for people on dial up - which I was until last year (YAY broadband). I can hardly remember the other stuff, but I know there were a few other things, probably meant as jokes, but the timing was off.

The only scar on your relationship with the Mine Field is in your head, imo. I think that most of us down there like your furry little self. If we don't like something you do as the tech admin, that doesn't mean we don't like you personally. Try to remember that the next time we complain about something!

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Full disclosure - I'm in the middle of a brutal benzodiazepines withdrawl: which has been driving my overly emotional posting lately. Due to this, I think it's best if I minimize my time online for the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Don't you know we're all in the same kooky boat? Come post emotionally with us!

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Though, perhaps not as bad as the misunderstanding that led to the CU/Messy/Jack war,
Whoa, wait...what? I remember a number of conflicts between any two or even three of the above mentioned parties, but not something that involved all four (if you include Hambil.) What'd I miss...? Links? Keywords?

Also, doesn't Messenger/Weevil still have admin status?