Lord of the Rings tv show

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Morfydd Clark isn't a very good actress I'm afraid. She has a really limited range and just doesn't have anywhere near the gravitas for the role. Galadriel as a character is badly realized from a writing standpoint to where the choices they made with her being almost inexplicable at times, but even with what she was given she never really sells it well. This is a pretty massive problem when you consider she's the protagonist of the whole endeavor and I do feel for her because the failure of this show in my eyes sits firmly at the feet of J.D Payne, Patrick McKay, and of course Jeff Bezos but it doesn't help when you have her delivering what are supposed to be these big epic moments and it just not selling well at all.

I thought she actually did well when she had good material. The seduction scene with Sauron in the finale was good as both actors gave their strongest performances in it. The stuff where she was teamed up with Theo in episode seven was decent because she could actually act like a wise elf giving the young lad the benfit of her thousands of years. The big problem, of course, is that they made Galadriel really unlikalbe in places, having her behave like an idiot who doesn't know at all how to talk to people and get her point across (despite being thousands of years old!) and who apparently isn't going to tell Elrond and Celembrimbor about Sauron's true identity because...she's embarrassed? Why would someone who has lived long enough to have seen the light of the Two Trees care at all about a moment of embarrassment (it's not like he didn't fool a lot of other people too.) It was a really thankless role to play most of the time.

MODMAN

Season 2

Scene: Elrond and Galadriel; Celebrimbor's workshop.

Elrond: "I have looked upon the scroll and divined the truth of it - a truth you so dearly wish to obscure. But eyes are the window to the heart, Galadriel - you cannot sheath this dark portent from my gaze."

Galadriel: "You may discern the shadow of the darkness, Elrond Half-elf, but you have not beheld the darkness itself with your waking eyes. I was enveloped in the darkness; I felt it's seductive caress, like a slithering snake weaving up one's leg. Only I know how seductive the nectar of such evil is - only *I* can send this foul creature into the abyss."

Elrond: "Then perhaps, you are one to save us all, Galadriel. I only I ask that you do not appoint this task to yourself alone."

Galadriel: "I am a girl boss, Elrond. To be a girl boss, is to be alone."

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

Gandalf and Nori find that Rhun has been conquered by Sexy Shelob, they exile her to Moria. She becomes a spider because she's sick of men hitting on her.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Gandalf and Nori find that Rhun has been conquered by Sexy Shelob, they exile her to Moria. She becomes a spider because she's sick of men hitting on her.

Remember when I said Shadow of War took insane liberties with their fan fiction? There was never any pretense they were doing anything but taking massive liberties with the lore though so it kind of works within the context of the game's story. A completely alternate version of events. Helped that the game itself was excellent as well.

The Question

Eternal
The culture war angle shouldn't be dismissed. It's the driving reason why the show is shit -- because it's shit intentionally. Same with She-Hulk, whose "creative" (LOL!) team as much as came right out and made an open declaration to that effect. Basically, this generation of "woke" corporate trash is offensive (and offensively bad) by design.

Anyway:

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I'm fully aware of Drinker and I am acquaintances with Gary Buechler (Nerdrotic). I like both of them and they both make good points but they have fanbases and fanboys to cater to. I prefer critics that don't have to acquiesce to a fanbase that expects a certain brand for their income. It is in their interest to be professionally aggrieved and to have this constant antagonistic bent against the "woke" agenda as they see it and it just becomes tiresome and in many cases forced. To be fair to Drinker and Gary they do offer actual relevant criticism beyond the woke stuff but it's still their bread and butter.

Take Shadiversity for example (part of that scene) he went on an hour rant about how "woke" Rings of Power is but it became abundantly clear that he was criticizing some of the rare stuff that they didn't even get wrong showing he very likely hasn't actually read the extended source material (despite his claims) but its what his audience wants and what gets him clicks.

I prefer criticism that isn't tainted by a need to cater to a certain audience. The link I posted is from someone with an honest take that doesn't have to be "on brand" and I find it much more constructive to listen to.

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
What does "revamping" even mean in this context? I'm assuming they're not going to remake Lord of the Rings, which means they want to tell more stories set in Middle Earth. They're desperate to turn it into a franchise, but it simply can't work. We know that there is no appetite for wanting Tolkien's work turned over to third parties to write their own stories within his universe *cough* Rings of Power *cough*, so I can't see any plan they might have being anything but a disaster. Name-dropping Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Phillip Boyens doesn't change that.

CaptainWacky

Tom Bombadil fans are going crazy at least.