Lord of the Rings tv show

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
At least the almost Aragorn guy is hot!

My biggest complaint is that all the episodes are too long. They spend too much time not telling us anything, and if they're going to do that they need to make that part fun, but they're not really.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Maybe Celebrimbor is Sauron in disguise.

MODMAN

So, stuff happened.

Sometimes this show is so bad it's unintentionally funny.

Galadriel and co were riding from the coast at "show us the meaning of haste" speed - did that Southland village light some beacons off-screen? There wasn't anything special about that particular village, was there?

So Halbrand = Sauron seems like a done deal at this juncture. Shipping Galadriel and Halbrand / Sauron looks like it'll be a thing. Fuck. I'm picturing the big reveal with Halbrand / Sauron imploring Galadriel to join him on his quest to perfect the world (or whatever it is Adar said Sauron's objectives were).

Writing / dialogue continues to be dreadful.

I think with two episodes remaining we've got a good enough measure; if you're not already onboard, it's a fool's hope to wait around for the show to improve. I'll keep watching just to see the season out, but what a phenomenal waste of money and potential.

CaptainWacky

They did a battle scene at night and actually lit it well, so points for that. They did the fight scenes quite well and the finale with Mount Doom's shock origin (it was a mountain all along!) looked nice.

Introducing the idea that maybe Orcs are people too is kind of problematic since we know by the time of LOTR everyone's still just slaughtering them indiscriminately.

It would be a bigger twist at this point if Halbrand wasn't Sauron.

It was funny when it was night time in the Southalnds then it cut to the Numenoreans riding in the day(?) then they arrived at sunrise.

Why did Galadriel just stand there in slow motion when the volcano was erupting instead of like doing something to help.

MODMAN

It would be a bigger twist at this point if Halbrand wasn't Sauron.

Agreed.

Halbrand appeared conflicted over whether or not to go back to Middle Earth on the expedition (before grabbing his medallion). - there was no one else with him in that scene. If he is Sauron then they're going in a different direction to the books - making him more relatable & human.

Adar spoke of Sauron's plans to put the Earth right, or something.

Is there a possibility Galadriel is Sauron? She's cold hearted, ruthless and at times sadistic. Real 6'4" Galadriel is locked away in mini-Galadriel's lair.

Or maybe Sauron isn't in corporeal form, but his spirit "endures" through the dark side energy generated by Galadriel's hate and bloodlust.

MODMAN

Also,

Who built the contraption to burst open the dam? The Elves lived there for hundreds of years - did no one pull those vines back and investigate the artifact?

How did the Old Man get his hands on the dark sword key? Moreover, did no one notice the difference in feel between a frackin' hammer and the hilt of a blade?

Why would ... is it Arondir? Why would he smack away at it with a hammer and conclude they had no means of destroying the hilt, when moments later they miraculously had a forge up and running churning out weapons for the impending battle? Could try throwing it in a cauldron of molten metal. Or perhaps hop on your steed and get the hilt to Lindon.

CaptainWacky

I feel like the Orcs digging tunnels was part of the plan to ignite Mount Doom, but it was also a pre-existing plan belonging to Sauron (who wasn't working with Adar) so I guess Sauron never got around to digging the tunnels he needed. I don't know.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Keeping elf daddy alive seems like a mistake!

Why didn't they even open the sword hilt thing when they took it from elf daddy?

GALADRIEL WILL FIGHT MT DOOM WITH HER FISTS.

CaptainWacky

Who could have predicted he'd be tricksy!

MODMAN

Keeping elf daddy alive seems like a mistake!

Why didn't they even open the sword hilt thing when they took it from elf daddy?

GALADRIEL WILL FIGHT MT DOOM WITH HER FISTS.

Wait, wasn't she killed in that cloud of searing hot fire and asphyxiating ash that enveloped her and the whole village?

tumblr-8db0783f609ecc8b244191e53155e277-7b06b4c8-540.webp

If she survives this, she deserves a few dragons.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Would they dare change the whole story and kill off Galadriel before she becomes Cate Blanchett?

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

Oh hey she was alive and covered in ash. It was lucky all the main characters had VOLCANO ARMOUR. Except for Isildur who is totally dead and it's not a fake-out at all!

It was also lucky that they put "MORDOR" up on the screen in EVIL LETTERING at the end because I never would have figured out that what was going on without that!

So the dwarves wake up the Balrog here, somehow trap it again, and don't bother leaving a warning to future dwarves not to dig in that place again? Disa's speech was quite good but kind of sinister.

MODMAN

Cripes, that felt a lot longer than the advertised 75 minute runtime.

RIP Celeborn. I hope they had their kids before he died, otherwise no Liv Tyler. Although, she did say the last time she saw him was before he went into battle, meaning she never saw a body. Is it possible Celeborn is still alive? <rolleyes>

The writers leave Tolkien fans two options: either a) you killed off Celeborn and are going full Kelvinverse, or b) you're not upending canon / continuity, so this is just a dumb fake out?

Setup for Galadriel to get it on with Halbrand / Not-Sauron?

Elendil - what a disappointment. Let's turn on the Elf because Isildur is missing. If the sea is always right, he was meant to pick her up - at least that was his reckoning earlier in the season. But now, he says he should have left her on the raft - implying THE SEA IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Consequently, Numenor should NEVER rescue anyone on the open seas ever again.

Who is The Stranger? Who are the Weird Sisters? Who is... whatever. One episode left, perhaps a year or two before another season.

It was also lucky that they put "MORDOR" up on the screen in EVIL LETTERING at the end because I never would have figured out that what was going on without that!

LOL - What the Actual Fuck was that. Thanks guys - I hadn't quite worked it out. Will Adar be sending out a press release re: the name change?

One thing I will say on a positive note - I like Durin III and Durin IV in isolation.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Galadriel is a Targaryen!

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I gave up on this show after two episodes. Pretty awful. Wasn't just the dialogue writing but the highly implausible plot developments. Sloppy and lazy, and when Tolkien is your source material, pretty unforgivable. Maybe it will get better and grow into itself, but who has the time to wait for that?

MODMAN

I gave up on this show after two episodes. Pretty awful. Wasn't just the dialogue writing but the highly implausible plot developments. Sloppy and lazy, and when Tolkien is your source material, pretty unforgivable. Maybe it will get better and grow into itself, but who has the time to wait for that?

Maybe apply old Trek's tried and true rule of 3 seasons to "get good".

So just another, let's see -- considering future seasons are meant to be cheaper. 2 seasons at around, oh ~75% of S1's budget ... only another 1.5 billion dollars to become tolerable!

Last edited: