Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Political Compass Revisited...

So why haven't I ever seen you in any of the meetings? They're held every Tuesday night at Pat's house. Flannel shirts are optional. :D

6, my usually understated friend, you have elicited your first Official Belly Laugh (TM).

Congratulations. You have done yourself proud. :bigass:

Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.92

One question:

Astrology accurately explains many things.

What can this question possibly indicate about one's political attitudes?

Goofball leftists generally believe in astrology, in my experience.

Especially the feminists who believe in the big, world vagina.

Uh, The Big World Vagina? Meaning what, Tonto?

Why is astrology only attributed to leftists? Goofball leftists, at that? Fact or supposition? I tend to think the latter...

I've known a LOT of graduate students and professors in the humanities, almost all female and all practicing a brand of feminism that involves shit like the great female spirit of the earth and ancient matriarchal civilizations, who believed in astrology.

New agey people generally are NOT right of center.

Okay. Astrology might be more of a liberal occurrence, then conservative.

However, does that automatically negate it's credence?

There has been documented evidence to conclude that the stars have had a very definite influence in the outcome of an event.

The Three Wise Men ring a bell?

Goofball leftists generally believe in astrology, in my experience.

:roll:

Nancy Reagan regularly consulted her atrologer, and even changed her husband's schedule on occasion to take advantage of "propitious" dates.

Friday said:
There has been documented evidence to conclude that the stars have had a very definite influence in the outcome of an event.

The Three Wise Men ring a bell?

Keep in mind that 'documented' does not automatically equate with 'evidence'.

WordInterrupted said:
I'm not arguing for any rule whatsoever. I'm pointing out that how ridiculous it is to argue that astrology is a corollary of liberal politics.

No one used the word "corollary." I meet many lefties who don't believe in astrology. However, I don't meet many people who believe in astrology who aren't lefties.

The Question said:
Keep in mind that 'documented' does not automatically equate with 'evidence'.
I take evidence to mean that which proves something. Documented, to me, means recorded in some way.

Therefore, my example still stands...

Save for the fact that the birth narratives included in some of the Gospels were written decades after the events in question.

It is more than likely that they document myths that grew around the historical Christ as the Christian movement began to grow, not actual events.

Friday said:
How could I have missed that before? What you've said makes perfect sense.

I spent a good decade wrestling with my lapsed Catholicism before finally coming to a position I can best describe as a Deistic Agonostic.

Along the way, I studied the Gospels--all of them, not just the four canonical ones--from a very different point of view than the one I was encouraged to adopt in my twelve years of Catholic school.