Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Political Compass Revisited...

I agree, Love Child (I love your name, BTW. No initials for you.. ;) ).

I need to feel productive, or I fall into a funk.

What is your opinion on the roles that society has carved out for men and women? Do you think that it's a man's job to be the breadwinner, and the woman's job to take care of the house and kids?

No, not at all. I believe that what ever works for people works. That is probably the standard for most of my beliefs.
I can say however that my mind is still old fashioned in some form or another, and its been hard breaking those habbits, like I feel I should be the one making dinner-I have certain expectations of myself to be like my mom was.

And that's fine, as long as you enjoy making dinner. If you feel it's an obligation, or a role dictated by your sex, then rethink that choice.

Don't be afraid to break out of a predetermined mold.

I'm not afraid to break out of a mold-I mean I work in a male dominated industry-but I think in family life is where I probably have the most values instilled in me from my up bringing-and the time I spent with the church, and in womens bible studies.
I don't completely disagree with a woman who is a wife and wants to stay home and make babies and cookies-If it works for her, that is fine. I just know that it doesn't work for me.
If I were going to have children, I would love to have the opportunity to stay home with them-or have someone stay home with them in the early years-I think that is important-I don't want to send my kids to daycare.
But I know that isn't always an easy choice to make-financially for a family.
But I won't be having children-so I work.
What do you think Friday? About the "roles" that society has carved out for men and woman?

First, I think you are a very wise woman, who has a very strong, positive identity as a woman. I admire that.

Second, I think women have been given predetermined roles that have hindered our progress, both as a gender, and as individuals. The fact that the role of woman as caretaker and nurturer is considered traditional is troublesome to me. It shows that tradition has been steeped in the subjugation of women.

True, the road to equality has been bravely and ferociously paved by our sisters that came before us. But we still have a long way to go before we have true equality.

Do we post the results of the quiz here? I don't want to interupt good conversations going on here...

Anyway, I hope it's OK.

I got: Economic Left/Right: -4.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64

It didn't compare me to anyone like Ghandi, Hitler, or Stalin, so I don't know where I stand in relation to that.

Oh no, that's perfectly OK, Preator. This thread has gone in 3 or 4 different directions since it's inception. You are, in actuality, getting us back on topic. :D

Your scores mean you are a a liberal, perhaps even a leftist...which is, in essence, a radical liberal. Like me.

Welcome!!!! :bigass:

Heh, I wasn't expecting that actually, I hold some views that would seem "weird" in many cases.

For example, I believe in: "The goverment does not belong in the bedrooms of the nation." -Pierre Elliot Trudeau when he legalized homosexuality, I am strongly against the death penalty, yet I'm completely against abortion (for what I see is scientific and medical reasons.)

Some of my views may seem "old fashioned," yet I seem to be much more liberal (in the classical sense) than most people I know.

Friday said:
There has been documented evidence to conclude that the stars have had a very definite influence in the outcome of an event.

The Three Wise Men ring a bell?

The Magi (it's not really known if there were three) where actually following prophesy (and a bit of astronomy) rather than astrology. Their ancient texts told them that when a certain heavenly occurrence came to pass, that a great king would be born. There have been four or five possible astronomical occurrences at that time that could be what the magi followed. These range from super novae, to passing comets. One super nova actually happened on 4 BC, the year generally accepted as the real birth-year of Christ when mistakes in the Gregorian calendar are taken into account.

Friday said:
First, I think you are a very wise woman, who has a very strong, positive identity as a woman. I admire that.

Second, I think women have been given predetermined roles that have hindered our progress, both as a gender, and as individuals. The fact that the role of woman as caretaker and nurturer is considered traditional is troublesome to me. It shows that tradition has been steeped in the subjugation of women.

True, the road to equality has been bravely and ferociously paved by our sisters that came before us. But we still have a long way to go before we have true equality.

See, here's the problem I have with most radical feminists, and it's a problem that many women share as well: You're denigrating women who choose to forgo a moneymaking career for a career they find more satisfying, that of being a wife and mother. It's frankly insulting that you think that being a wife and mother is living a life of subjugation. It's fucking 2006, women certainly know that they have a choice in the matter.

You feminists, if some woman doesn't choose to forge a path and try to "break barriers" in the workforce, you tell them they're being brainwashed by tradition to be "subservient" to men.

It's funny, they just had a story on CNN last night, talking about a study that showed that educated careeer women who took extended maternity leave from high-pressure jobs were less and less likely to return to those jobs. Seems that they were happier and more content raising their children and taking care of the home than using their MBAs to "foster equality".

Feminism used to be about giving women a choice. However, it's becoming apparent that today's Feminists want you to agree with their choices.

Love Child said:
...I think in family life is where I probably have the most values instilled in me from my up bringing-and the time I spent with the church, and in womens bible studies.
I missed this the first time around. What church did you attend? Do you still go?

I actually have a Woman's Study Bible. It interprets the Bible using a woman's slant. Very interesting.

Friday said:
I missed this the first time around. What church did you attend? Do you still go?

I actually have a Woman's Study Bible. It interprets the Bible using a woman's slant. Very interesting.
Actually I don't participate in this particular study anymore.