Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheehan Arrested

Peter Octavian said:
If it were really about him, the name Casey Sheehan would be the name which everyone knows. If Cindy Sheehan's crusade were really about fallen servicemen, dying violently because "diplomacy by other means" is the fallback position for most of the world now, or at one time or another in recent memory, then it's Casey's name which would be tripping off the tongues of people at cocktail parties and watercoolers.
I disagree quite strongly.

For all she's been on the news, she has not been the one writing the news. Those writing the news - particularly those critical of her - have been careful to focus on her. All the media attention hasn't been "giving Sheehan airtime to say what she wants." It's been "Hey, look at this woman Cindy! She's awfully persistent, isn't she?"

Frankly, I can't recall reading or hearing more than very brief soundbyte-quotes of what she's been saying... it's all about her, the people following in her footsteps, and the administration that would rather bury the topic.

Eggs Mayonnaise said:
Mmm. Brilliant. Well, discussion over then. :roll:

Why the rolleyes? The entire world knows what Cindy Sheehan thinks. Many of us disagree with her. The current Administration disagrees with her. Many of the commanders in the field disagree with her.

She can stage as many events like this as she wants, but it's not going to change a fucking thing. If she has something new to add, I'll listen to what it is. But for now, I've heard her side and rejected it. And I find her grandstanding and her martyr complex irritating.

Quite frankly, this Administration could put a bullet in Sheehan's head, and while I'd call for the Administration to be tried and convicted, it still wouldn't change my stance on the way the United States needs to deal with the Middle East.

And that's what Sheehan and many on the left don't seem to get. I couldn't give a toss for George Bush. What I do care about is providing a forceful explanation to the Islamic world that their bullshit will no longer be tolerated, and they can either join the twenty-first century or join their ancestors.

The rolleyes was for CU's WTC pic, as if it's the new way to kill a thread and end discussion about the war.

As a New Yorker who woke up to that, even I know the situation a little more complex, and goes back much further than that.

Man, there's just no place for irony or wit in your world, is there? ;)

Depends on what we're talking about.

Also, this was a case of cross-communication. I didn't think I'd said anything worthy of a rolleyes, and since it was you and I who were conversing, I thought they were for me.

Eggs Mayonnaise said:
The rolleyes was for CU's WTC pic, as if it's the new way to kill a thread and end discussion about the war.

No, dick. It's a reminder of the root cause of this dance.

As a New Yorker who woke up to that, even I know the situation a little more complex, and goes back much further than that.

That's nice, but doesn't change anything.