Spartacus: War of the Damned

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Helllooooooooo Caesar. You're a hot mofo. Not Gannicus hot, but still.

And I might be in the minority with this, but how much longer can Sparty justify murdering innocent children? I know he saved those people, and I know these people would kill them in a heartbeat, but kids? He's still just allowing them to be slaughtered? Maybe I'm just sensitive right now.

He didn't justify it, imo. I think that was out of his control, and when he saw all the dead he regretted it.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I felt the same. You'd think Sparty would've ordered them to keep civilian deaths to a minimum. It's not like all the Romans had slaves (probably... I haven't researched this). Of course, with so many angry former slaves in the rebel army his orders probably would've been ignored anyway, but it would've helped to see him at least try.

Anyway, it was still a great episode.

The aerial shot of the rebels streaming into the city gates was bloody epic.

Crassus continues to be PERFECT and I like his relationship with the slave lady as well. Making his son the Thingy doesn't really match up with his idea that Rome should be a meritocracy but I suppose even he has to make exceptions for family.

The only thing I really didn't like in this episode was Caesar. He's like some bad soap opera character. Maybe once Crassus is done with him he'll be a little more civilised, but still, I imagined a sort of gangly diplomat who was more at home commanding soldiers and planning tactics than screwing slaves and picking fights.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
And what was up with the weird Caesar scene where it looked like the slave girl was scraping his leg with a knife and kissing his thigh, or something?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
At first I thought she was circumcising him and that I'd misunderstood what Crassus meant when he said he wanted Caesar unshorn. But I guess you're right and it was sadomasochism.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I thought she was cutting his penis at first too! That was just weird. I don't understand why Crassus cares if he shaves or not, either.

Caesar just seemed like this wild monkey man, to me. I don't even think he's attractive.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I DO! He's the type I could roll around with on a beach naked, not caring if I get a little sand in my mouth at certain moments...

Tiberius is indeed quite pale.

(Yes I finally watched an episode, and I've downloaded the rest of the series JUST IN CASE I make the time to watch it regularly BUT NO PROMISES OKAY?)

Damned if I know any of the story so far but who cares lol.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
But the slash/gore really is too much for me.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
If you watched this weeks episode then you got off lightly with the gore. The first episode of the season had a soldier's jaw fly off. Strangely you get used to it very quickly. Maybe because its got quite a tongue in cheek feel to it.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Umm, someone's head was sliced in half horizontally*, and another one had a pole rammed in his mouth till it sailed out the back of his neck. In slow motion both times.

Tongue-in-cheek or not, it's something I never want to get used to. There are too many humans walking around who are desensitized to life thanks to being desensitized by horror/violence in tv/films.

BUT THE NAKED MEN ARE NICE WHILE THEY ARE BATHING AND WASHING THE BLOOD OFF.

*Mind you, I'll admit I've seen that before, in the opening scenes of Ghost Ship.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
If you go back to season one you'll pretty much see the entire cast full frontal by the end of it. There were a lot of scenes of the gladiators bathing and talking together naked. There was even a dong amputation (which I think is what inspired Cassie's hobby).

It is a bit odd to become desensitised and enjoy the violence, but I see this and it's entertaining, then if I see real violence my reaction is completely different. There's a human connection to real people that isn't present in dramas with buckets of fake blood flying around. So that's reassuring. Hopefully this applies to most other viewers.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
It's currently a part of the big debate over guns here, since the school shooting in Newtown, CT. I grew up not far from there, so it hit close to home for some of my family & friends.

It shouldn't be the main focus of the debate (background checks and assault weapons bans should), but it's a discussion worth having at some point. Mostly about how parents abdicate all responsibility when it comes to raising their kids, and instead look to blame & sue teachers, game makers and rock bands for the state of their rotten kids.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I do not like gory horror movies, but the gore in Sparty doesn't bother me. I think it's because it's so splashy and unrealistic.

Enkephalen

My Stars!
^That and the fake blood's consistency is too thin. It looks more like colored water than real blood that is thicker.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The first episode of this season had a decapitation where it looked as though the neck stumps on the mannequins had been replaced with open paint pots. When the headless bodies toppled over the "blood" poured out in quite a comical fashion.

So in that case tv violence reminded me that I really need to get around to repainting the garage door.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
MY COCK IS MAGIC! hello penis penis penis. FUCK, I am going to miss this show when it's all over.

Liam McIntyre has FULLY won me over. I would make sexy time with him FOREVER. I hope he gets naked soon. I know he's gonna bang that Roman chick eventually.

The pirates were great. At first I thought they were going to double cross Sparty, but I'm glad they didn't. Fucking Naevia gets on my nerves. I think they just keep making her worse! I was fully prepared to like her after Crixus went to all the trouble of rescuing her, but there's just something I don't like. I think a lot of the female rebels lack something, like authenticity - I DON'T KNOW. I realize this show is a fantasy version of ancient Rome. Maybe I'm just missing Lucretia and Ilithyia.

OH NOES, Tiberius! He's too cute to get stabbed, UNLESS BY PENIS! I think his daddy is gonna be so very pissed.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Agreed on all points. :)

Naevia and the German woman are annoying me. I think the problem is that they're being written as quite masculine, and it doesn't work. The best characters in this show, like Lucretia, Ilythia and Sparty are able to get their way through less obvious means than direct conflict.

I didn't like the pirates at first, because I thought they were a distraction from the main story and it seemed pretty inevitable that they'd try to screw Sparty over and never be seen again. Glad to be wrong! When the catapults fired I cheered so much!

Still not very keen on the rebels being almost as bad as the Romans, but to be fair, it is a lot more honest than making them all as morally virtuous as Sparty. They've all been through a lot of shit, some of them being born into slavery, so it does make sense for them to exact brutal revenge when the opportunity arises, even if it's difficult to watch.

Aww, the magic cock is dead!

But I'm glad Tiberius is still alive... who knows, maybe his cock is magic too?

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Yes, Naevia really needs to get over it. And I missed some of it because I was out and about, so was the dude she ended up killing a traitor?

Agree with everything Fuddle said about them being too masculine. I said it before, and I'll say it again: I MISS LUCRETIA. Feminine cunning got her further than Naevia and the German's woman's blind rage and brutality ever will.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
No, at the end it was revealed that the Roman woman Sparty freed was the one who'd protected the others. She hid them in a basement and they were yet to be discovered at the end of the episode. As far as I can tell the blacksmith was completely innocent.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Yeah, I think the blacksmith was innocent. I think all he was doing was gathering his money to leave the city.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
SHE'S A BITCH