Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek: Picard

Episode 6 - Started off slow (Raffi's stuff is meh) but the stuff on the Cube at the end was the most exciting the show's been since the start. I was pleased that Hugh was actually happy to meet Picard and trusted him without question.

It was cool that the gateway thing they used was from that season 1 Voyager episode (and those asshole "pleasure" aliens got assimilated.)

Why did they change the Locutus make-up?

RIKER NEXT WEEK RIKER NEXT WEEK RIKER NEXT WEEK.

Last edited:
It does, in some places, feel just a touch derivative of Firefly. But only very faintly, and only every so often.

Then again, considering that Firefly itself is pretty fucking derivative of Blake's 7 and Outlaw Star, perhaps that's only fair. :P

But... that's a discussion for another time.

Blake's 7 was a British sci-fi show from the 70's and 80's, which centered around Roj Blake and the crew of the renegade starhip Liberator. Blake had been a leader in a now-failed rebellion against a tyrannical government, and now traveled through space with a rag-tag bunch of misfits as his crew - one of whom is a psychic - on the run from the government, and trying to help the downtrodden. That's half of Firefly right there.

Outlaw Star was a science fantasy anime from the 90's that debuted in the U.S. in 2001. It centered around the crew of the titular starship, the Outlaw Star. The crew of the ship would fly around human-controlled space (which, culturally, was basically "The Old West meets China"), taking jobs from whoever was willing to pay them. Oh, and one key member of the crew is a mysterious teenage girl who arrived naked in a box (in the fetal position, even), and who everyone in the galaxy is trying to get their hands on, because in her brain, there's some deep secret that'll completely disrupt the status quo. That's the other half of Firefly right there.

Well, shit on me, so 'tis. Huh. I'll have to check those out when I have an actual internet connection again as opposed to hotspotting off a phone way over its data cap. lol

They better not kill Hugh, I hope Elnor saves him and they both get off the cube and go on the adventure with Picard.

Bet you 20-to-1 they do kill him. Because killing off well-liked ancillary characters seems to be their idea of "gritty." They've already done it with Icheb and B-4, after all.

Here's a weird, unrelated thing that just occurred to me, also: How is it that a single starship stranded half the galaxy away from home could give Seven of Nine an ocular implant that matched her other (natural) eye's color, but the mighty and resource-rich Feds couldn't do the same for Hugh? They left him lookin' like a patchwork despite having way more resources at their disposal than Voyager had. Seems kind of unfair.

I thought I saw Hugh in next week's preview at the end, but not Elnor. We'll see. It would suck if Elnor dies without a sweet Dobbie/Harry farewell moment with Picard. But seeing how thay had Icheb come in and out of our lives, I won't hold my breath.

I just saw a red letter media review of the show where they mention the original Ichep actor attacked Anthony Rapp over his allogations against Kevin Spacey trying to get him banned from star trek conventions, and saying Spacey was a good man.

Which might explain why they not only replaced the actor, but killed the character in the worst possible way.

I really doubt they'd kill Elnor so soon. He's the comic relief and he's barely done anything yet. Hugh is more likely to die but I hope that doesn't happen either as Jonathan del Arco has been impressing me in the role.

And yeah Icheb's original actor is a nutter and hilariously has been campaigning to return as Icheb ever since Picard was announced. They made sure that'll never happen. (I don't think they should decide plot points based on what actors do but it worked out well anyway.)

Seen the episode now, having Picard almost die by falling off a bridge, is that a generations reference?

I guess the holograms never grassed up Agnes, and they haven't done an autopsy.

I love Riker and want to eat his pizza.

Troi telling off Picard was good since his attempts to get Soji to trust him have just been shouting "TRUST ME!" at her.

The kid playing Kestra was good and not annoying and it's nice she was named after Kirsten Dunst. And her dead brother was named after...Old Iron Boots (see Voyager 'Deathwish')? That's quite the reference.

I was disappointed Hugh died as he was shaping up to be a strong recurring character. And the Romulan girl is too over the top evil as a villain. I hope Seven just shoots her face off next week.

OH, that was so nice. A whole episode with Riker and Deanna! Even the kid playing their daughter was good.

I'm really bummed about Hugh, tho :'(