Star Wars: The Acolyte

Where to start? I've watched all three episodes and have some thoughts.

First, it's hard to ignore the burgeoning Youtube careers built around hate-watching modern media, especially Disney and Star Wars, and monetizing that outrage online. Review bombing is rampant, labeling everything as "woke" and expressing outrage at any deviation from a narrow, heteronormative, white male perspective. This includes backlash against diversity in race, gender, or sexuality.

A quick glance at YouTube reveals the usual suspects racking up views by railing against The Acolyte. It's clear this outrage is now a business model with a large audience. That said, there is a sliver of truth in some of the criticism that political and social agendas are sometimes awkwardly shoehorned into shows without the finesse that older shows used to handle their social commentary. However, this doesn’t justify the rage-baiting that is usually thinly veiled agenda-based culture war crap. We seem to have an extreme case on our hands here.

All this being true means that critiquing these shows with integrity often requires making these annoying caveats first. The same thing happened with The Rings of Power. There was a lot of outrage around it. The show wasn’t good, but the reasons for that had nothing to do with black people being in it.

Now, let me try to be objective about The Acolyte.

Episode 1, "Lost/Found": I thought it was fine, though a bit clunky in places. The assassination at the start could have been handled better. Osha came across as a bit bland, but overall, it was decent. The mystery is serviceable, and I’m curious to see where it goes. I appreciate some live-action focus on this era. I loved Lee Jung-jae in Squid Game, so it’s cool to see him as a Jedi Master. Yord and Jeki seem interesting, too. I liked that they didn’t drag out the Jedi’s disbelief in Osha. Such contrivances become annoying quickly. Yord is skeptical, but they come to terms with Mae’s responsibility relatively swiftly. In fact, there were multiple times when I expected a scene to end in a contrivance, but simple communication between characters resolved things. I LIKE THIS.

Episode 2, "Revenge/Justice": I had more issues with this one. Mae’s seedy accomplice (who looked distractingly like Ezra Miller) explaining to her that giving Master Torbin "absolution" by letting him commit suicide with poison was ridiculous. How could he know he’d kill himself just by seeing Mae? There’s a line about him not speaking for ten years, and maybe Mae connects this to his guilt, but it’s still a massive stretch for the accomplice to know that. Then... it works! He just drinks the poison and dies. There wasn’t a better way to handle this? It really took me out of the episode. Also, the production quality is fine (as it should be with a $190 million budget), but when I saw Torbin, I couldn’t help but think of that terrible glue-on beard Ewan McGregor wore in Attack of the Clones reshoots.

tumblr_7794431dfe623245607d8fcdf1b7877b_74a4eeb3_1280.jpgTorbin-RevengeJustice.jpg

Other than that, it was fine again.

Episode 3, "Destiny": A full episode dedicated to the backstory of Osha and Mae wasn’t a pacing choice I’d have made, but it clears the way for the rest of the show to progress. Some of the acting was grating, but the concept of them being raised in a witches' coven, which seems like an offshoot of the Nightsisters of Dathomir, was intriguing. The chanting scene and the cackling from one witch were a bit cringeworthy. I was confused by how readily Osha trusted the Jedi and wanted to leave with them, especially her claim that they were good. They’ve been completely cut off from the outside world and raised by the coven, so where is she getting this information? She’s rebellious and not buying into the coven’s ideology like her sister, but it still felt odd.

The Jedi’s morally dubious methods are in line with established lore, and it’s good to explore this further rather than portraying them as perfect moral figures.

The "I’ll kill you" line was bad.

Mae starting the fire wasn’t the sole cause, or even a cause, of the whole complex burning down. Torbin’s guilt, enough to drive him to suicide, suggests the Jedi were complicit in some way. This should have been handled better, as the whole place going up from her little fire, even as a fake-out, was ridiculous. Also, the episode title is just one word, so (having just recently read Pale Fire), I think there’s an unreliable narrator here (and no, I'm not comparing Nabokov to the writing here, lol), and we have yet to see Mae’s perspective.

So, I wasn’t blown away and didn’t love it. The writing is serviceable, but there is some clunkiness in how scenes play out, some wooden acting, and some iffy pacing in places that detract from it.

I feel I blame pacing a lot in my reviews but it's a thing I notice, OK?

With that said, it has enough intriguing elements that I want to see where it goes. It’s far from perfect, but I enjoyed watching it. I also detected nothing that BREAKS THE LORE. Some are whining about no father being needed for conception, but nothing says Anakin was the only case of it happening, and the methods used in making Osha and Mae are (as far as we know) different. Even if they aren’t, that might make Anakin’s conception more interesting. I mean, it's either manipulation of the force or the spontaneity of the force on it's own, right?

Also, I really didn't like the trailer for this, as I said at the start of this thread. It looked like empty Marvel-style flashy action with a Star Wars skin slapped on top, and the show isn't that. They are at least trying to tell a compelling story here. How well they do in the end, we will have to wait and see.

Disney Star Wars is a mixed bag. Some of it I’ve really liked, and some I’ve really disliked. This leans more towards the top of that list than the bottom.

So, yeah. This is THE END OF STAR WARS. If you let children watch this, they will become GAY COMMUNISTS.

What if Osha was the one who fell and they rescued Mai and she pretended to be OSHA so she would be rescued, then the other sister convinced her sister was dead, decided to become Mai to remember her.

The hair covering the mark has to be there for a reason.

That was a lot of walking through a forest to see a Wookiee, then the Wookiee was dead when they got there.

Last edited:
It's either him or the green Jedi woman because there's literally no other character we'd recognised when revealed.

Unless it's the witch mother who didn't die but why would she keep hidden from her daughters for so long?

Where to start? I've watched all three episodes and have some thoughts.

First, it's hard to ignore the burgeoning Youtube careers built around hate-watching modern media, especially Disney and Star Wars, and monetizing that outrage online. Review bombing is rampant, labeling everything as "woke" and expressing outrage at any deviation from a narrow, heteronormative, white male perspective. This includes backlash against diversity in race, gender, or sexuality.

A quick glance at YouTube reveals the usual suspects racking up views by railing against The Acolyte. It's clear this outrage is now a business model with a large audience. ...
I don't have a dog in this fight, and I know we try to stay apolitical here, but I do have to say that I lived in Portland, Oregon from 2002-2017, and it's a damned shame that after years of seeing outrage and cancel culture from the Left, they're finding it used on them. :marathon: If you want people to respect your views, you'd better respect theirs. You don't have to agree with them, just accept that they're allowed to have them. Otherwise you'd better not be upset when they don't respect your views either.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I know we try to stay apolitical here, but I do have to say that I lived in Portland, Oregon from 2002-2017, and it's a damned shame that after years of seeing outrage and cancel culture from the Left, they're finding it used on them. :marathon: If you want people to respect your views, you'd better respect theirs. You don't have to agree with them, just accept that they're allowed to have them. Otherwise you'd better not be upset when they don't respect your views either.
I'm not a culture warrior. My politics have always skewed towards progressivism because I believe strongly that it is the best chance for Western societies to, well, progress. I care about rent prices, rights, and healthcare. Those who hold honest and constructive conservative views on how to achieve the same goals have always been people I'm willing to debate and listen to. This is none of that. It's performative culture war shit (now with a profit motive), and if you're rolling your eyes at the blue-haired activists throwing a fit, then if you're being consistent, you should be just as unimpressed by a bunch of middle-aged dudes having a tantrum over every new piece of media that doesn't conform to them because it's coming from the same emotional place. The American landscape of putting us in boxes of left or right over this shit is idiotic. The show is mid. The response is unhinged.

Be honest. Is this normal:

GQYrjh8WYAEbgMY.jpg
Another fun thing to consider. If the fandom hadn't been such a bunch of nutcases and screamed for years that George Lucas was "raping their childhoods," he probably wouldn't have sold Star Wars to Disney in the first place, and this show would have never existed.

Food for thought.

I know you're not going to understand this, but I'll say it one more time: The Left created this. They didn't want to be civil to people they disagreed with so now people they disagree with are not being civil to them and it's like "OOOH NOES! TEH UNFAIRNESSSS!1!!" You* wanted society to get to this level. Now you got it.

*And I don't mean anyone in particular, I mean the people who protested anything they didn't agree with for the past 20 years or so.

Fifth episode - By far the best epsidoe. Very good fight scenes. I found the lightsaber stuff in Ahsoka pretty bland at times, this felt much more dynamic. Jecki Lon was too pure for this world. At least she got a memorable death. I'm sad Dafne Keen didn't end up having a bigger part but I am happy at least they'll kill off name characters in a shocking way.

Also Yord died.

(This isn't really fair, Yord was fine!)

Mae not really doing anything to redeem herself was kind of refreshing too.

We are acting like entitled toddlers because the "left" were meanies (as nebulous as a concept as this is in your definition), is not a very good argument. Not being civil? How, pray tell, should the "left" have been civil to right-wing evangelicalism for the past 100 years (that's diplomatic), and how civil should we be to the GOP that now fondles the balls of Russia, undermines NATO, cozies up to dictators, and demonizes 10-year-old rape victims who don't want to carry their rapists babies to term? I can't take anybody seriously who really pushes the tired narrative that we're now acting like the cunts we always were because you rejected us for how we act. And hey, maybe you don't subscribe personally to all those positions. I don't know. But you're going to generalize about the left, so here we are.

The right wing is not oppressed; their tantrums should be mocked, and when we move past the media, that is upsetting so many people within this little culture war bubble, where are your arguments?

You want to talk about a TV show and the merits (or lack thereof) of it? Go for it. When I see you doing so in service of some overarching culture war, I point and mock.

Let's get back on course, though. George Lucas has always been very left-wing. The fans hated him as well. How do you compartmentalize that? I know you are all upset with Disney and think they are trying to turn the kids gay, but I thought Gina Carano and the Daily Wire were going to create a new media empire for you all to wallow in? How's it going?

Lawrence Fox is playing Hunter Biden! Genius casting! This shit makes the Acolyte look like Citizen Kane.

What about this one?

Terror_on_the_Prairie.jpg

On June 14, 2022, Terror on the Prairie released exclusively to online subscribers of The Daily Wire.

The film grossed $804 during its one day US theatrical release. The film also had a limited theatrical release in the United Arab Emirates and Russia, where it earned a total of $13,115.

Go WOKE go BROKE!

Nah. Not interested. Not moved. Lesbian space witches? Oh no!

Back