The Sandman - Netflix

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I can't wait for the whining that they genderswapped John despite Johanna being established in the comics. That said, it does look like she will probably be taking over some of the stuff (all?) John did since she's talking to Mad Hettie in contemporary London (is it still going to be the 80s?).

I'm more than happy that Jenna Coleman is in the series although I do hope that we get Matt Ryan to reprise John as well. I know they are being very careful with making this its own thing and obviously didn't have Tom Ellis reprise his role as Lucifer because it just blatantly wouldn't have worked at all. I like the show Lucifer but outside of the basic premise it has diddly squat to do with Gaiman's (or Mike Careys) interpretation of the character so recasting with Gwendoline Christie (interesting choice) seemed wise there.

The thing is though, Matt Ryans, John Constantine is a really faithful rendition of the Hellblazer original so he wouldn't be out of place plus I'm still salty they canceled the show. His version of Constantine doesn't feel done yet so would be a nice nod.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I remember reading this, back in the 80s and 90s and thinking "This would be so much better if John Constantine was a chick and Lucien the Librarian was a bald black chick." DOWN WITH WHITE MALES!

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Incidentally, Netflix was worth $690 a share 7 months ago. Today? $198. Lowest its been since 2017. "Get woke..."

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I can't wait for the whining that they genderswapped John despite Johanna being established in the comics. That said, it does look like she will probably be taking over some of the stuff (all?) John did since she's talking to Mad Hettie in contemporary London (is it still going to be the 80s?).

I'm more than happy that Jenna Coleman is in the series although I do hope that we get Matt Ryan to reprise John as well. I know they are being very careful with making this its own thing and obviously didn't have Tom Ellis reprise his role as Lucifer because it just blatantly wouldn't have worked at all. I like the show Lucifer but outside of the basic premise it has diddly squat to do with Gaiman's (or Mike Careys) interpretation of the character so recasting with Gwendoline Christie (interesting choice) seemed wise there.

The thing is though, Matt Ryans, John Constantine is a really faithful rendition of the Hellblazer original so he wouldn't be out of place plus I'm still salty they canceled the show. His version of Constantine doesn't feel done yet so would be a nice nod.

Matt Ryan's Constantine was in Legends of Tomrrow for years, until in season six they wrote the character out (Ryan now plays a different, more Welsh, character.) There's supposed to be a Constantine tv show/movie (I don't know) on HBO so the writers of Legends were told to get rid of Constantine. So they wouldn't have been able to use Ryan's Constantine in this even if they wanted to.

CaptainWacky

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I'll admit I'm not fully convinced yet. It feels a bit too much like actors acting (if that makes sense) and so I'm not sold on whether the vibe will really hit like it needs to. I'm still very much looking forward to watching it properly and making my mind up on over a full episode though.

CaptainWacky

Mazikeen shouldn't be able to talk properly at that point. :(

CaptainWacky

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I like that what we've seen is very beat-by-beat of the graphic novels (although with a rather cleaner aesthetic) although I'm still concerned that both Dream and Death here don't seem very otherworldly and instead more like people with powers. The Endless are distinctly not human and their timeless nature is really something that comes across very well in the source material. I haven't had that sense from Dream in the few clips we've seen or Death here really (I thought Desire looked the most interesting from the trailer in that regard tbh). Good thing is that I believe they're dropping all 10 episodes at once so not long to wait to get the full sense of it and if it works.

All I know is they better get Hob Gadling right or we riot.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
That clip does a really good job of making me want to go back and reread the comic.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I like that what we've seen is very beat-by-beat of the graphic novels (although with a rather cleaner aesthetic) although I'm still concerned that both Dream and Death here don't seem very otherworldly and instead more like people with powers. The Endless are distinctly not human and their timeless nature is really something that comes across very well in the source material. I haven't had that sense from Dream in the few clips we've seen or Death here really (I thought Desire looked the most interesting from the trailer in that regard tbh). Good thing is that I believe they're dropping all 10 episodes at once so not long to wait to get the full sense of it and if it works.

All I know is they better get Hob Gadling right or we riot.
He'll be a web-footed transgender albino negro.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I'd die for Death

296779454_493223219470976_6832751925771990732_n.jpg

Mirah

I love you
Sometimes I see a series that you all are talking about here and I look at it at first and think I don't want to watch it, but I watched the preview today and I like the imagery, so I am watching now to see if I like it. I mean I could just watch it on silent, it looks so beautiful.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Sometimes I see a series that you all are talking about here and I look at it at first and think I don't want to watch it, but I watched the preview today and I like the imagery, so I am watching now to see if I like it. I mean I could just watch it on silent, it looks so beautiful.

You should get the graphic novels. Some of the best comics ever.

Im making veggie cheese sticks with dip and spicy popcorn. Some wine and bud and I bet I pass out before the 2nd ep is finished. All 10 at once? My EYES!!!!!

:D

CaptainWacky

I watched the first two episodes. It's certainly not bad, but it kind of has that adaptation problem where it feels like it's trying to get through stuff from the comics but doesn't really give things time to breathe. Some stuff should be allowed to linger longer. It probably doesn't help that I've read the comic and certain panels are burned into my brain. The first issue is so mysterious and creepy whereas in the show...it looks like a tv show? Like it's a good looking Netflix show but it's not on the visual level of the comic. But I guess it would be really hard to do that with a tv show.

Charles Dance is always a very compelling presence. I think Sturridge is doing good so far.

Changes: they're obviously trying to build up the Dream/Corinithian showdown, so we get Dream captured right as he's about to disolve Corithinian, whereas in the book he's captured after resetting the whole universe (which explains why he's so weak and easy to capture) which is big change. Didn't really like Corinthian giving all the exposition to Roderick either. Jessamy trying to save Dream was a nice change though.

Mirah

I love you
Well I am at the end of episode 4 and I think I'm going to have to switch to something more light hearted for the evening.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the first two episodes. It's certainly not bad, but it kind of has that adaptation problem where it feels like it's trying to get through stuff from the comics but doesn't really give things time to breathe. Some stuff should be allowed to linger longer. It probably doesn't help that I've read the comic and certain panels are burned into my brain. The first issue is so mysterious and creepy whereas in the show...it looks like a tv show? Like it's a good looking Netflix show but it's not on the visual level of the comic. But I guess it would be really hard to do that with a tv show.

Charles Dance is always a very compelling presence. I think Sturridge is doing good so far.

Changes: they're obviously trying to build up the Dream/Corinithian showdown, so we get Dream captured right as he's about to disolve Corithinian, whereas in the book he's captured after resetting the whole universe (which explains why he's so weak and easy to capture) which is big change. Didn't really like Corinthian giving all the exposition to Roderick either. Jessamy trying to save Dream was a nice change though.

I have similar issues. I think everyone is doing a good job and things like the Corinthian being a bigger deal early on are perfectly fine with me, but I have such a reverence and connection to the comics that of course, I'm feeling that things are a little lacking. Sandman is such a stylistic piece that the "clean, Netflix treatment" feels slightly offbeat as a focus, despite the obvious work put into it.

Even small choices like Dream sucking wind for a full minute just seem off.

I did enjoy Charles Dance, great casting without a doubt, and I like Tom Sturridge even if I'm not totally sold on him. He's not who I see as Dream when I read the comics at all and that's fine, I'm still on board with him, I'm more hoping the adaptation melds around him well enough more than me being put off with him personally because he doesn't fit the comic version of Dream I have had in my mind for 20 years.

I'm 2 episodes in as well, so keep that in mind. I will watch the next 8 and give my final thoughts, but yeah, the original graphic novel is such an amazing piece of work (and to be fair, the first volume does suffer from a "let's find the quest items" trope as well), but I'm worried that the Endless are going to end up being more defined by being "cool" and "super" than what they really are. That's the crux of what makes it special and I feel that the plot will override making the Endless feel as special as it should and that is what really drives the story as we move towards Delirium and Destruction.

The comic has a decent caper storyline running through it to begin with but that's FAR from what makes it special.

MODMAN

I see Charles Dance and that other brit whose name I don't know (Dragonheart, Harry Potter, Wonder Woman) are in it.

I know nothing of the comics, but have liked what I've seen of Neil Gaiman's TV adaptions.

Will check it out. 84% on RT. The Atlantic said:

"At its best, the show is strong fantasy entertainment that functions as a great introduction to Gaiman’s writing. But the barrier to entry is high, and the cost of jumping into such an intricate saga might be too much for some."
I should be fine.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I see Charles Dance and that other brit whose name I don't know (Dragonheart, Harry Potter, Wonder Woman) are in it.

I know nothing of the comics, but have liked what I've seen of Neil Gaiman's TV adaptions.

Will check it out. 84% on RT. The Atlantic said:

"At its best, the show is strong fantasy entertainment that functions as a great introduction to Gaiman’s writing. But the barrier to entry is high, and the cost of jumping into such an intricate saga might be too much for some."
I should be fine.

If you haven't read the comics then I think this is going to be a comfortably above-average Netflix show. The source material is super strong, I'm just looking to see if they brush aside what makes the original run of Sandman special. So far the jury is out.