The Sandman - Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Fun fact: Judy in episode 5 was played by Anthony Head's daughter Daisy.

Another "fun fact" coming at some point in the future.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I just finished ep 7 about the Vortex. I thought it was a bit dull compared to the others.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I just finished ep 7 about the Vortex. I thought it was a bit dull compared to the others.
Ooh. Are they doing the "The Doll's House" arc? It's a bit ambitious to try to fit that into the first season.* If they're just introducing the Vortex as foreshadowing for the "The Doll's House" story, then it will probably be worth it for the payoff.

*For as skeptical as I am of this production, now that I think about it, the comic really lends itself to the modern streaming television format. It would do a story arc of around 8 issues. Then it would do 4-5 related but free-standing stories that might or might not set up elements for later in the series. Then there'd be another 8 issue arc. Format maps pretty nicely to 2022 television production.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
10 episodes done. Good show, will probably be even better when I read the comics some day. Loved the big set up at the end for a kickass Season 2. Loved that Morpheus went from total asshole to somewhere between nice guy and loveable asshole.

If you have a local library card in your town, check out their online resources. Most of them connect to a service that will let you read the entire comic online for free using your library info to sign up for the connected service. Check it out. I have all the originals, but the digital reproductions are quite lovely and easy to read and access.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Ooh. Are they doing the "The Doll's House" arc? It's a bit ambitious to try to fit that into the first season.* If they're just introducing the Vortex as foreshadowing for the "The Doll's House" story, then it will probably be worth it for the payoff.

*For as skeptical as I am of this production, now that I think about it, the comic really lends itself to the modern streaming television format. It would do a story arc of around 8 issues. Then it would do 4-5 related but free-standing stories that might or might not set up elements for later in the series. Then there'd be another 8 issue arc. Format maps pretty nicely to 2022 television production.
They did show the grandma with the dollhouse.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member

A bit of reshuffling gets done but we get the entirety of Dolls House as the backend of the season, yeah.
Season 2 will almost certainly be Dream Country and onwards.

CaptainWacky

Season two looks like it'll definitely have Season of Mists and probably some of the standalone stories from Dream Country but those could fit in anywhere. Maybe four episodes for Season, two standalones and four for A Game of You.

FULL SEASON THOUGHTS

Overally it was good, as a fan of the comics they cetainly didn't do anything to disgrace the source material. Gaimain being showrunner meant it was going to be a faithful adapatation, as much as was possible. I have mixed feelings about some aspects.

Episode one, as I previously stated, was okay. Felt like they should have shown more from the Burgees point of view and DEFINITELY should have included Roderick's fate.

Cain and Abel were good (surprised we didn't see them again though) in episode two and the stuff with Gregory and Goldie was sweet. Felt too short.

Episode 3 was a huge disappointment. Far too clean, really ugly looking greenscreening, very toned down compared to the comic. A Constantine story should be gritty!

Episode 4 was better but I still wasn't all that impressed by the visuals at this point. Just felt too "fake" or something. Compare the riddle battle in the comic to the show? Everythong's got that shiney digital sheen to it.

Episode 5 though was great! Didn't tone anything down, probably the best possible version of this story we could get on tv. Thewlis was great.

Episode 6 was also great. Kirby Howell-Baptiste was the perfect Death and I don't know how anyone could watch this and have a problem with her casting. They did the Hob Gadling story as well as possible too (I do wonder if another Constantine showing up confused people? Did non book readers assume she doesn't age, like Hob, rather than her being an ancestor?)

The final four were good overall but I question if they worked exactly as tv episodes? Just the structure where Rose goes to England, goes and rents a room with a bunch of wacky characters in America, spends two episodes at a weird serial killer convention, then moves again when the drag artist sells the house. It works in the comic but all that moving around across four episodes of tv felt a bit off to me, maybe? I also wonder how well the Cereal stuff worked for non-readers as maybe it could all seem a bit too goofy considering they were fucking serial killers? I was pleased they kept the awkward rape joke and Dream telling off the killers. Boyd Holbrook was great as the Corinthian. Stephen Fry can't act but if you want someone to play a Stephen Fry-like character he's the best person to cast. Barbie looked cool in her Martin Tenbones dream (important for later!)

Lyta wasn't friends with Rose in the book, was she? She lived in Jed's dream with the nightmares? But Rose was her baby-sitter later? I could just look at the books, they're on a shelf right next to me.

So yeah it was good overall Sturridge had a hard task playing Dream but pulled it off I hope it gets a second season.

But the books are better you should read them.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
The "cereal" convention was great!

Only have one more to go. I have enjoyed the show a lot.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
"The Doll's House" arc (with "The Sound of Her Wings" thrown in as a prologue) is up there with "The Watchmen" or any other comic books for great literature. Perfect and mind-blowing.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Why do all the other Endless hate Morpheus? I mean, they're all assholes, so it can't really be because he's kind of an asshole. Is it because he is more powerful?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
They definitely don't hate him. Desire is antagonistic towards him and Despair goes along with it because she is easily led by her twin but the others don't. Death loves her brother and remember, we haven't met all the Endless in this series yet. There is still the Prodigal, Delirium, and Destiny yet to make an appearance. What they are though, is dysfunctional.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so turns out they have already filmed episodes 11 and 12. Dream of a Thousand Cats and Calliope. The stills come from a Netflix video that is now private after they quickly realised their mistake. The episodes will probably not come out until the end of the year, as they probably want to keep the hype up for next season.

Christmas or Halloween specials, perhaps?
Someone managed to grab a few screenshots before the video was taken down. Looks like Dream of a Thousand Cats is 3D animated.

299277695_1738916643123765_8338406325065486609_n.jpg
298808348_3285866458398831_4226918727091343091_n.jpg
FaD4vjdXgAAloqB.jpg
299190069_1738916603123769_1248583815345068133_n.jpg

jack

Great screen grabs.

CaptainWacky

OK, so turns out they have already filmed episodes 11 and 12. Dream of a Thousand Cats and Calliope. The stills come from a Netflix video that is now private after they quickly realised their mistake. The episodes will probably not come out until the end of the year, as they probably want to keep the hype up for next season.

Christmas or Halloween specials, perhaps?
Someone managed to grab a few screenshots before the video was taken down. Looks like Dream of a Thousand Cats is 3D animated.

View attachment 541
View attachment 542
View attachment 543
View attachment 544

It's just one episode with the two stories. I love Night of a Thousand Cats but no way that could be stretched to over forty minutes. I'm sure Gaimain posted about this on his tumblr like a year ago (said they decided ending with Doll's House made more sense) but it's possible I'm making this up and there's no way I'm searching all his posts.

MODMAN

Finished all ten episodes. Great show.

What stood out for me was the structure of the season. I had assumed - as is the case with most serialised streaming shows - that we'd be in for one overarching narrative. I had assumed that was going to be the son with the ruby and whatever his machinations were. Then to my surprise we wrapped that thread up after the atmospheric diner episode, then flipped to a standalone episode. There was an overarching element though of course - Morpheus & his evolution from "total asshole to somewhere between nice guy and loveable asshole", as Loktar put it. Also glad we saw Lucifer put in an appearance at the end; some larger stories brewing between the deities / abstracts / endless.

To be honest, it's quite refreshing. It's not afraid to meander here and there and take it's time exploring, rather than constantly barrelling through one plot contrivance after another until we get to the big explosive finale.

Really enjoyed episode 6. Loved how the immortal dude sentiment's after a 80 years of misery was still "fuck yeah I wanna live!"

I hope the next season plays out similarly. I like the mini arc style.

Also quick question - Lucifer is not an Endless, right? I like the idea of these different metaphysical ideas squished together.

jack

Also quick question - Lucifer is not an Endless, right? I like the idea of these different metaphysical ideas squished together.

He is not. He is stronger than all of them.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Nope. Lucifer is the Judeo-Christian Lucifer. We don't see God in the comics, but we do see angels. There area also Norse, Egyptian, Japanese and Greek gods in the comic--as well as chaos and order entities (I forget if they're called gods or not).

jack

Norse huh?

Any chance of an Ian McShane appearance as Odin? :D
Odin is the DC Comics' interpretation of the Mythical Norse God. He is a supporting character in the Sandman Comic Series, first appearing during the Season of Mists Storyline.