The Umbrella Academy

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Yeah I think the general consenus is that the second season is better. They tackle some of the problems with the first season (you might have already noticed Luther is a bit different) and in general it was just better paced. It's weird how the guy who plays Five really is 16 (probably 14 in season one?) and not just a weirdly young looking adult.

Did they change the credits yet?

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Finished season two and yeah it was a lot better. Some of the characters were not as annoying - Luther went from being a really arrogant idiot to just being a charming idiot. Diego looks better with that hair.

I was a bit annoyed that the cause of the apocalypse was Vanya again but at least they actually explored it this time and used it as a way to actually grow her character.

Ritu Arya was great more of her in season 3 please.

Did they change the credits yet?

When you look at the show in the Netflix app/website is says Elliot Page, but the credits of the show still show his dead name. They should change it but I wonder if there's a weird contract reason why they haven't.

CaptainWacky

I like the monkey.

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

The new season has "dropped" but I won't watch any of it until the weekend probably BUT I HAVE TO BUMP THREADS ON THE RIGHT DAY.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I hope the little dog is okay!

CaptainWacky

The spitting girl is Larry David's daughter wtf?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I am confused about Lila and her powers! Did she have powers last season?

CaptainWacky

Yes she was one of the other 43 children who were born with powers. She worked for the time agency or whatever they were called. Her power is to mimic the power of other powered individuals (I didn't remember this until she started doing it this season.)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OH, now it's starting to come back to me.

Mirah

I love you
I can't tell if I am caught up or not. I was at the part the world ended, and then ended again, but then it might end again.

CaptainWacky

That sounds like the first two seasons then.

CaptainWacky

SEASON 3 THOUGHTS (big spoilers in tags but mild spoilers below)

I enjoyed it overall. The characters are all good and most of the actors are great at playing them. Elliot Page had some strong stuff with the coming out scenes and I liked Viktor being more confident than Vanya. Ritu Arya is great and should have her own show. Everyone was good really! The interactions between the characters are fun and often very funny. I like the monkey. There was some nice weirdness, like one of the Sparrows just being a flying cube and nobody even asking why. There were fun musical montages and dance scenes and such. It's a fun show and at its best very fun!

But it had the same annoyance as the previous two seasons where they find out about the apocalype halfway through then just...do nothing. For like four episodes. I get this is PARTLY because the characters are so self involved that they're more likely to go off and worry about their own shit than care about the end of the world, but at a certain point it felt like padding. A few conversations were repeated too many times. I wasn't quite clear on how much of the world was destroyed at any given time (Pogo's bar is just going on as normal while the world is falling apart?) Then the finale ended up feeling rushed after them fucking around in the hotel for four episodes not accomplishing much in the lead up.

Why didn't Reginald enact his plan before? He had seven kids in this reality and could have done it at any time. Unless there was some line about how the doorway to the other universe only happened at the end of the world or something.

Allison got REALLY annoying as it went on. And I get that she was kind of like that in season one anyway, and the actress did a great job playing her, but her hate for Viktor got so extreme that I started to wonder if we were supposed to think Viktor being trans was part of it (but they were really careful to show all the siblings near instantly accept Viktor so I don't think it was that.)

The end of the finale was pretty unsatisfying...

Okay, so Allison stopped Reginald from reseting the universe and did it herself...but Reginald still got everything he wanted anyway and became super rich. If she did that because of the deal between them, why did she step in and take over being the one to reset the universe, as if she didn't trust him? If she didn't trust him to live up to the deal, why did she end up making him super rich and powerful in the new reality? Why did she make Sloane disappear? I didn't think she had a problem with Luther and Sloane getting married. What was the mid credit scene of Ben on a train supposed to mean? And why did future Five tell his young self to let the universe end?

Last edited:

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I just finished episode 4. I'M ALMOST HALFWAY THERE. There are really good bits, but it all seems too scattered, like there's nothing to figure out.

CaptainWacky

YOU COULD WATCH THE SIX REMAINING EPISODES TODAY.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I can't watch 6 episodes in a day. UNPOSSIBLE.

I also can't remember the chimp's name, but I'm glad he is BACK. How long before Klaus remembers the buffalo in his menudo?

MODMAN

Can't read much above this post but just watched the first episode. Recently mowed through the entirety of The Boys and was looking for something else when this caught my eye.

I'm not fully sold, but definitely intrigued. I was a bit half-hearted and tempted to switch off, then they had the think I'm alone now number and I smiled, so kept going.

I know it's not going to be The Boys. The only thing that is going to equal that sort of engagement is Better Call Saul when it finally gets it's arse back on screen. But yeah, certainly has it's quirks with the big dude, the monkey, the time traveller and the dead one, among others. So, I guess it's done it's job and I'll watch episode 2 soon.

CaptainWacky

The first season was the weakest.

The monkey is named Pogo.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Oh no, Stan!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
WTF is Christopher? It's cool that Klaus gets to hang out with the cool dad.