Top 100 Female Sci-Fi / Fantasy TV / Film Characters Discussion Thread

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I don't think it's unreasonable to have an actual quote said by the character. Menty clearly instructed to "STICK TO THE FUCKING FORMAT" in the opening post.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I don't think it's unreasonable to have an actual quote said by the character. Menty clearly instructed to "STICK TO THE FUCKING FORMAT" in the opening post.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that my post be left the fuck alone. I don't care if you disagree with my take on Star Wars 1-3, you don't like my pic selection, or if I put a quote in there that is not to your standards.

DON'T PUT SHIT IN MY POSTS I DIDN'T WRITE.

You want to excise my post from the thread, fine. Randomly delete it, who cares, this is TK. But if I don't have the opportunity to go back and edit my own posts, I sure as Hell didn't ask you to do it. I don't give a shit if you disagree with me, that's your right. But your edit had nothing to do with "format" and everything to do with petulance, and I want my name taken off it if they aren't my words.

CaptainWacky

If you actually feel that fucking stongly, fine, I've edited the post back to your version. You'll have to report whatever made up quote you had here so I can edit that back too.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
If you actually feel that fucking stongly, fine, I've editing the post back to your version. You'll have to report whatever made up quote you had here so I can edit that back too.

Just delete the post, please. I don't feel that strongly about the post or content, I feel that strongly about being able to make a comment without it being altered within the post itself.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
This is a trivial little project that we resurrect every few years because yeah, most of us came from TrekBBS and still have an interest in sci/fi-fantasy. We know it's silly, but it should be obvious to anyone looking in from Menty's intro that, to an extent, we take it seriously while we're doing it, and we try to have certain standards applied to it.

We've never had more than a few people participate before, so this conflict about what it acceptable content is a new thing. It's being done down here in the Mine Field ghetto and not in the Media forum, so it shouldn't be a surprise that some people get protective of it. Anyone who wants to contribute to it with some sincerity is welcome to join in. Just because the thread is posted on TK doesn't mean it automatically is a "TK thread." That's why some of us have stayed down here all these years. None of us were on staff (or had any thoughts of D'OH! owning the board) when we settled in here. That just sort of happened over time. It is what it is.

CaptainWacky

Just delete the post, please. I don't feel that strongly about the post or content, I feel that strongly about being able to make a comment without it being altered within the post itself.

Well you did ask for it changed back first (in this thread) so I have. If you're sure you want it deleted, fine.

I'm sorry for editing it, I thought you'd posted it in a hurry and wouldn't mind. Yes I probably take these types of thread too seriously, but we've done these types of list before and we usually try to keep them consistent.

Hope we're cool now, I've always gotten along with you as far as I remember and the last thing I want is for anyone to think I'm interfering with free speech in the Mine Field.

SAUSAGEMAN

For the inevitable Dawn Summers entry, should the quote be "get out get out GET OUT!" or "Anchovies, anchovies, you're so delicious, I love you more than all the other fishes"?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Game of Thrones has been so brilliant. If Wacky hadn't added then I was going to add Daenerys Targaryen. After that season of television she deserves her place no question! I'm thinking that a few more from that series might be earning their spurs in the Top 100 before too long as well.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of which, Lena Headly kind of deserves a spot for her portrayal of Sarah Conner but to keep it simple I think we should not add her because the original character portrayed by Linda Hamilton is already up and it should stay with just her.

I personally think she deserves a spot as Cersei Lannister anyway.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
For the inevitable Dawn Summers entry, should the quote be "get out get out GET OUT!" or "Anchovies, anchovies, you're so delicious, I love you more than all the other fishes"?

I honestly wouldn't add Dawn to a list of "Top 100 Female Sci-Fi / Fantasy TV / Film Characters", but as it is now a "What female character can you think of? Post it!" list then who knows!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Jeez, and yesterday we were worried there wouldn't be enough female characters.

Can't we just have a casual thread where no one gets all huffy because they don't like an entry or don't think it belongs? Most of these threads end up all Buffy heavy anyway, so why worry about it now? CAN'T WE JUST HAVE FUN? UNTWIST YOUR DRAWERS, MOFOS :rwmad:

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Well you did ask for it changed back first (in this thread) so I have. If you're sure you want it deleted, fine.

I'm sorry for editing it, I thought you'd posted it in a hurry and wouldn't mind. Yes I probably take these types of thread too seriously, but we've done these types of list before and we usually try to keep them consistent.

Hope we're cool now, I've always gotten along with you as far as I remember and the last thing I want is for anyone to think I'm interfering with free speech in the Mine Field.

Thank you.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
This is a trivial little project that we resurrect every few years because yeah, most of us came from TrekBBS and still have an interest in sci/fi-fantasy. We know it's silly, but it should be obvious to anyone looking in from Menty's intro that, to an extent, we take it seriously while we're doing it, and we try to have certain standards applied to it.

We've never had more than a few people participate before, so this conflict about what it acceptable content is a new thing. It's being done down here in the Mine Field ghetto and not in the Media forum, so it shouldn't be a surprise that some people get protective of it. Anyone who wants to contribute to it with some sincerity is welcome to join in. Just because the thread is posted on TK doesn't mean it automatically is a "TK thread." That's why some of us have stayed down here all these years. None of us were on staff (or had any thoughts of D'OH! owning the board) when we settled in here. That just sort of happened over time. It is what it is.

This is a good post, and I agree to the content. It's a pity that this hasn't been posted before Dono's entry was altered, though. I'm pretty sure there would have been less uh, trouble. :)

whisky

Boobie inspector
Jeez, and yesterday we were worried there wouldn't be enough female characters.

Can't we just have a casual thread where no one gets all huffy because they don't like an entry or don't think it belongs? Most of these threads end up all Buffy heavy anyway, so why worry about it now? CAN'T WE JUST HAVE FUN? UNTWIST YOUR DRAWERS, MOFOS :rwmad:

To be honest there only appears to be one person doing that.

Hmmm, wasnt there an episode of futurama where Bender had a sex change?

Donovan

beer, I want beer

This sounds entirely reasonable on the face of it, except that A) my post did stick to the requested format. The edit was for content, not format. B) You can't really call a thread "trivial" or "lighthearted" when this much fuss is kicked up over a single post, and C) my contribution was sincere, even if I took a little swipe at the quality of the prequels.

Here's my final take on the subject: I didn't come from TrekBBS but I am a fan. I came to TK through an "invasion" and found two things I liked very much: smart, funny sci-fi fans who talked about all kinds of subjects without taking it or themselves seriously, and a board that prided itself on free speech and open debate. If those aspects are gone...

SAUSAGEMAN

To be honest there only appears to be one person doing that.

Hmmm, wasnt there an episode of futurama where Bender had a sex change?

Six, Caprica Six, Pegasix, Natalie, and Head Six are all technically different characters!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Head Six is the best Six, MOFO :rwmad:

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to watch the fucking boxing and then I'm planning to go out and get drunk. All this geeky angst is getting me down, man! What sort of fucking loser started this list anyway!