Top 100 Female Sci-Fi / Fantasy TV / Film Characters Discussion Thread

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Lt. James is showing up for me.

American Dad? How is that sci/fi-fantasy?

Leela/Futurama is at least in the genre even if it's a spoof, but American Dad, Simpsons, Family Guy, Cleveland Show, Flintstones, they're all sitcoms. And even if we did include these shows for some reason, what makes Francine Smith noteworthy? (I defended Kasidy, it was fun! Defend Francine!)

Digging deeper, I guess The Jetsons would be on the fence, but personally I think that's more sitcom than genre too. And even if it's considered genre, IMO it's a stretch to think Jane or Judy Jetson are even worthy of mention.

(These are just my sleep-deprived opinions, I'm not speaking for anyone but me, nothing personal))

whisky

Boobie inspector
So a show where the one of the leads is an alien, and another is a fish with the brain of an east german olympic swimmer is not sci fi?

I guess I just naturally assumed those sort of things would make it sci fi.

Besides all that, Francine is fucking hot.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Yeah, I don't get the American Dad either.

Tisiphone

I guess it boils down to what you consider sci-fi. I don't consider it sci-fi, like Futurama is.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I have not heard of any of the manga characters named so far, and I dont have a problem with that, because up to now this hasnt been the "top 100 sci fi/fantasy/tv/movie female characters that we all have to like"

American dad and futurama are in the same boat as far as I can see, either they are both sci fi or neither of them are.

Tisiphone

I get that. I just don't think a lot of people would consider it a Sci-Fi show, probably because it's a cartoon. Futurama is at least, well, sci-fiey (Yep, I just made that up) and American Dad, even though it's got an alien it in, doesn't scream sci-fi. At least not to me. To each his own, though. :)

Tisiphone

You could then go so far as to say "Family Guy" is fantasy since it's got a talking dog who acts human.

whisky

Boobie inspector
If you think about it, Sarah Connor is not a sci fi character.

I mean she has met a couple of robots, her lover came from the future, and her son will be very important in the future, but she herself is just a normal human being who happens to be around sci fi stuff.

She is sci fi by association, and so is Francine.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Here's how I see it:

Family Guy is a sitcom, and Brian the Talking Dog is a comic device. The fact that he's in it doesn't make it part of the fantasy genre, that's not Seth McFarland's intent.

To that end, American Dad is a sitcom about a CIA agent and his family. Stan the Alien is a comic device that springs from Roger's job, but again, I don't think Seth would call this show sci/fi or fantasy either.

If these are in the genre, then so is every cartoon ever made simply because they're not realistic. Snow White is meant to be a fantasy by design, but Minnie Mouse is not.

The anime characters (and admittedly, even though I'm a fan there are a couple that I've never come across before) at least fit the genre description, in that the creators intended them to be in the genre. That's my poop on the sitch.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Once you start down the "its a sitcom, not sci fi" route, then I dream of Genie, Bewitched, Mork and Mindy, all become ineligble.

And Futurama is just a sitcom set in the year 3001.

Roger may well be a comic device, but at the end of the day, like it or not, he is an alien.

And aliens are sci fi.

Therefor a tv show where every single episode features an alien is sci fi.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Would the flintstones be fantasy? With humans and dynasours existing simulatanously?

If thats not enough, then how about the entire year when they added the alien "the great Gazoo" to the cast?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'm not even going to ague but some of the newest entries made me lol.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I still think the creators' intent still needs to come into play. "It has an alien" doesn't equate a genre work. Roseanne had a couple episodes with aliens too, should we include her?

And have we really gone through all the indisputable sci/fi-fantasy women yet that we need to be sifting through all these maybes?

Tisiphone

Well, I haven't added Gabrielle yet, even though I want to. I know I'm the only person on the Xena bandwagon (hardcore) that would consider putting her on the list, even though she's a blip on the radar to others.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
At least she wouldn't be disputed! ;) DO EET!

Tisiphone

I WILL!!! LoL

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Ro Laren was a better female Trek character than all the ones on the list so far (except Kira), I'd say. I'll add her later if no one else does.

And I'm going to add someone I want to now since, even though she might not be on the top 100. She was a better character than "I have breasts" anyway...

Tisiphone

Oooh...controversy! And where is Troi? LoL.