Top 100 Female Sci-Fi / Fantasy TV / Film Characters Discussion Thread

whisky

Boobie inspector
I still think the creators' intent still needs to come into play. "It has an alien" doesn't equate a genre work. Roseanne had a couple episodes with aliens too, should we include her?

And have we really gone through all the indisputable sci/fi-fantasy women yet that we need to be sifting through all these maybes?

There is a world of difference between a show that had one episode with an alien in it like Dukes of Hazzard (really, look it up) and American dad, whoes alien is a main character.

The way I see it is quite simple.

Are aliens real?

If the answer is no, then aliens are sci fi, and a show that features an alien as a main character for every single episode is sci fi.

I dont care if its a comedy, if its animated, or if he was only there as an analog for Brian, he is a mother fucking alien.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Did anyone at least appreciate the irony of me choosing Whisky from Dollhouse?

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I think we should have a bonfire of the entries, then delete them without any real discussion, then all argue and fall out.

Eventually, a faction will set up a new board called "Female Science Fiction Purists" and everyone will come to that board thinking it was a place to discuss Ursula Le Guin and Ayn Rand. In the end, we will build a new and exciting community from the ashes.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Here we go again! These lists do bring up a lot of controversy. THIS is how I see it and how I personally make my choices for the list.

When I choose someone to go on I consider their contribution to the genre. Have they made an impact in Fantasy and Sci-Fi and brought a new dimension to what has come before?

Francine certainly has not and just because she's a good character that features an alien in the show she also features in isn't good enough to get her on the list IMO. The same goes for more than a few others on the list so far as well. Mallatobuck as well? I mean, you get what I mean, right?

Tomtrek said early on that finding 100 quality women in Sci-Fi Fantasy movies and TV would be a stretch and I did consider that before I made the thread but it just means we have to think a little harder and I think we could get there without too much fluff.

So yeah, it's about their contribution to the genre. If they haven't done anything of note in the genre then they shouldn't be on the list. Simple as that really.

So yeah, Francine and Mallatobuck really shouldn't be on there and neither should a few more..

Vasquez on the other hand... Nice choice.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I only have one nitpick.

I misspelled existence in my Gabrielle quote. :(

whisky

Boobie inspector
I have someone in mind for a replacement if someone with the power to edit can swap francine out, save messing around with all the numbers.

SAUSAGEMAN

Name:
Felicity Porter

TV Show: Felicity

1382.imgcache.jpg

Quote:
Felicity: Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can change your life forever.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Feel free to edit this into the space currently occupied by Francine

Princess Aura

Flash Gordon

1383.imgcache.jpg

Quote: Klytus: Bring me... the bore worms!
Princess Aura: No! Not the bore worms!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Feel free to edit this into the space currently occupied by Francine

Princess Aura

Flash Gordon

1384.imgcache.jpg

Quote: Klytus: Bring me... the bore worms!
Princess Aura: No! Not the bore worms!

Tisiphone

I R STOOPID

Tisiphone

Jesus, Nevermind. Just realized that's the Star Wars Christmas special thingy. I NEED SLEEP

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'd say Starbuck is more deserving than quite a few (including ones I've added.)

CaptainWacky

Oh right...I see now. Yeah, that's obvious and I think Yub knows it.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Here we go again! These lists do bring up a lot of controversy. THIS is how I see it and how I personally make my choices for the list.

When I choose someone to go on I consider their contribution to the genre. Have they made an impact in Fantasy and Sci-Fi and brought a new dimension to what has come before?

Francine certainly has not and just because she's a good character that features an alien in the show she also features in isn't good enough to get her on the list IMO. The same goes for more than a few others on the list so far as well. Mallatobuck as well? I mean, you get what I mean, right?

Tomtrek said early on that finding 100 quality women in Sci-Fi Fantasy movies and TV would be a stretch and I did consider that before I made the thread but it just means we have to think a little harder and I think we could get there without too much fluff.

So yeah, it's about their contribution to the genre. If they haven't done anything of note in the genre then they shouldn't be on the list. Simple as that really.

So yeah, Francine and Mallatobuck really shouldn't be on there and neither should a few more..

Vasquez on the other hand... Nice choice.

Yeah but then people would have to actually think about things and that's haaarrrdddd...

Honestly if this list was ever going to work then when you post someone you should have to say why you think this character is one of "THE TOP 100" female characters, and not just "a female character that I like". If you can't think of an objective reason why it's on the list then, hey, it shouldn't be on the list.

But I guess I'm taking things too seriously and in decades time people will be writing essays on hw American Dad revolutionized the portrayal of women in science fiction even though it's not actually science fiction.

Tisiphone

On a different note, is anyone else having problems with Google Images not showing enough pictures? I get like three rows and that's it.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I'm am being flippant as normal about this, but I cannot stress enough how I agree with Tomtrek on this.

A sentence on why the character caused a major shift in thinking, or was a new role we had never seen before. This is why I do think Vasquez was an inspired choice as well. The character itself was a stereotype, but a male stereotype suddenly played by a female. 'Go on without me" (or at least a derivative of that cliche) was stated by Vasquez for the first time.

whisky

Boobie inspector
We are making a list of 100 people, they cant all be groundbreaking or trend setters.

Some will always be just "characters I like"

Hell, if we are really going on groundbreaking characters with a massive influence on all of sci fi thereafter, we'll be lucky to get ten.

CaptainWacky

Ramona Flowers was a sex positive hero for the 21st century. With a giant hammer.

CaptainWacky

Eggs Mayonnaise:

First actress with 2 characters in the list

Amy Acker has three, Eggs. TAKE THAT, PAQUIN.

Tisiphone

Maybe he meant movies? LoL.