Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I really liked Annihilation! It was quite haunting. Natalie was great. I liked how everything in the Shimmer was completely alien but still had a kind of logic and how it was also a trip into the minds of the characters. Some of the imagery was really beautiful. And man that fucking bear. That was a creepy bear. I would recommend it to anyone who likes intelligent science fictioin (and Natalie Portman.)

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I thought Annihilation was pretty good? I have the same problem with this film that I have with Ex Machina in that Alex Garland very obviously is trying to do a big Serious Hard Science Fiction Story but just doesn't quite have the ability to pull it off. So, like, it's not bad - it's actually pretty good - but I get the feeling that he was trying to do a Kubrick or Tarkovsky but can't get to their level so he just ends up being a low budget Christopher Nolan. WHICH IS FINE AND NOT BAD but I wish the film was as weird as it was trying to tell me it was.

Like it shows some very weird and interesting stuff, it just does it in the most normal and pedestrian way possible. The second half was a lot better but it still suffered because Alex Garland just can't quite do the stuff he wants to do, and because the CGI was pretty ropy in some areas.

Natalie was good! Oscar Issac was pretty good! I liked Jennifer Jason Leigh! I wish the other characters had, like, anything else to do other than have one character trait told to us at the start and then (SPOILER DUH) get killed/go crazy/turn into a tree.

It's fine. It's fine! It's fine.

CaptainWacky

I made The IT Crowd my new "can't be bothered moving so just watch Netflix" show. The first series is surprisingly not very good? There's funny parts, but half the jokes don't land and often the characters will just awkwardly trail off, confusing the studio audience. And the characters all feel wrong: Roy is a one note asshole, Moss is too much like Father Dougal and every one of Jen's stories is about some WOMAN'S ISSUE (there was a whole episode about her period which was AWFUL.) Noel Fielding was actually funnier than the main characters. Fortunately the first episode of the second series (the one with "GAY! A GAY MUSICAL" and Roy saying "I'm disabled!") is funnier than all of series 1 put together. They must have done some series "retooling" between the first and second year. Or just decided to make it funnier.

Series 2 and 3 are the best. 4 is still good but you can tell they're running out of steam. The court episode at the end of series 4 was really bad. The "special" final episode is really bizarre. I wonder why it even happened? It's three years later and the actors have all moved on. And it's just a normal episode but twice as long! The only thing that makes it a finale is Roy saying his catchphrase at the end and the studio audience cheering.

Also quite noticable how dated episodes from less than ten years ago feel now. The one where Douglas is dating a woman who used to be a man and they have a fist fight would never happen today (and isn't even particularly funny.) And the one where he attemps to drug and rape Jen, but at least that results in the electric sex pants.

So yeah Father Ted destroys the IT Crowd in all ways but it has its moments.

Replaced it with Toast of London. Wasn't sure after the first episode but I've watched a couple ore and its great! I love that Ash Tyler from Discovery is there playing Clem Fandango. And I spotted Daisy Ridley in one episode.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I love Toast. I was so happy when Matt Berry showed up in House of Fools. Didn’t know Daisy Ridley was in it though. Do you remember which episode?

CaptainWacky

It was a very small part. She was a stagehand who asked Toast about an actor who shat himself to death. In the episode with the movie about Prince Philip being executed.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Most intriguing to be sure. (In a Toast accent)

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

I watched the first episode of Lost In Space. Wasn't the best first episode ever. Pace was slow. We're introduced to the Robinson family first and they're all pretty standard (Toby Stephens isn't playing a crazy gay pirate, for example.) It looks nice, but I was finding it quite dull to start. There's some uninteresting flashbacks. It picks up forty minutes in when the robot appears because robots make everything better. There's a bit of excitement from that point on. Doctor Smith's appearance at the end was fun too but it's lierally just the last couple of minutes of the episode. So yeah, I guess I'll watch more, and I do kind of appreciate that it's family friendly and not all dark and gritty and naked, but they coud have done more to grab me.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
I watched the first three episodes and really enjoyed it. Didn't think the pacing was slow at all. It gets progressively better, so maybe you'll latch on to it.

Mirah

I love you
I really liked Annihilation! It was quite haunting. Natalie was great. I liked how everything in the Shimmer was completely alien but still had a kind of logic and how it was also a trip into the minds of the characters. Some of the imagery was really beautiful. And man that fucking bear. That was a creepy bear. I would recommend it to anyone who likes intelligent science fictioin (and Natalie Portman.)
OMGOMG OMG WHAT?! Annihilation is on NETFLIX noW!??! WTF??! I HOPE IT IS ON NETFLIX FOR ME TOO! I"M GOING TO GO CHECK AND BE REALLY DISAPOINTED!
ALSO I MISSED OUT ON SEEING WRINKLE IN TIME in our cute little theater. FUCK.

Mirah

I love you
ITS NOT THERE
IT IS NOT FUCKING THERE
NO FAIR
LOL
I"M TOTALLY GOING TO CRY and THROW A FIT RGHT NOW

Mirah

I love you
Netflix is fucking punishing me
It is saying, "Mirah, you watch crappy shows on Netflix, you are not allowed to every once in a while watch something cool" even though maybe someone in the mine field said, "It was okay"

CaptainWacky

The second episode was better, think I just got bored of the Robinson flashbacks in the first one. Production values are better than Discovery, which had pretty high production values itself so that's good.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
End of the fucking world was better, darker and more fun to watch than I expected.

Mirah

I love you
I enjoyed Annihilation. I really enjoyed the reclinging chairs in the movie theater. I went all the way to Seattle to see it. (And do other things)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I watched the first couple of Lost in Space. It is a bit slow and I think it suffers from the disaster movie type thing of having to keep coming up with new things to go wrong. As soon as one problems solved, some ice instantly freezes for some reason, or someone falls down a hole, or a storm that no one previously noticed has arrived.

It does look good, though, and the characters are pretty well defined. I like Penny best so far since she has the most attitude. The boy is a pretty good actor too. A bit annoying at times like all child actors, but considering he’s mostly talking to himself or to the robot he does very well.

Not keen on the robots design, but looking forward to hearing more of its back story. I also hope they explain more of what was going on on earth and what the whole concept of the Resolute and the Jupiters was. Were they supposed to each go to a different planet? Why were they crewed by families?

Has anyone seen the original series? I always hear it’s cheesy, but people say that about TOS when it isn’t for the most part.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
I watched the first couple of Lost in Space. It is a bit slow and I think it suffers from the disaster movie type thing of having to keep coming up with new things to go wrong. As soon as one problems solved, some ice instantly freezes for some reason, or someone falls down a hole, or a storm that no one previously noticed has arrived.

It does look good, though, and the characters are pretty well defined. I like Penny best so far since she has the most attitude. The boy is a pretty good actor too. A bit annoying at times like all child actors, but considering he’s mostly talking to himself or to the robot he does very well.

Not keen on the robots design, but looking forward to hearing more of its back story. I also hope they explain more of what was going on on earth and what the whole concept of the Resolute and the Jupiters was. Were they supposed to each go to a different planet? Why were they crewed by families?

Has anyone seen the original series? I always hear it’s cheesy, but people say that about TOS when it isn’t for the most part.

No, they were all going to Alpha Centauri. I'm guessing the family thing was people acting as an immediate unit since AC wasn't that heavily populated. It didn't go into that much detail.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker

Yeah, the original is cheesy, but its a good cheesy. Then again I may be biased. I like a lot of cheesy stuff.

Haven't seen any episodes yet of the new version, but from what I've seen of the trailers and promos, I think I prefer the original.(Bill Mumy was the best!) I'm still going to watch it eventually though.

CaptainWacky

I've still only watched the first three episode of the new Lost in Space, it's pretty good but not nothing I feel compelled to rush to binge. It feels kind of like something the BBC would show in the Merlin timeslot on a Saturday early evening, except it has like a thousand times the budget. Penny is the best of the kids (JUST LIKE THE MOVIE) and I liked Smith at first but she's started making evil faces too often.